Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Suggestions for a gravel wheel set? Looking to have two sets of tires/wheels for my bike and I'm going to stick with my current wheels for road use. I'm 6'2", 190ish. The wheel set doesn't need to be super burly, but would like a more gravel / light bike touring ready wheel set.

Requirements:
    6-bolt disc
    700cc
    15mm thru axle (front wheel)
    Up to 40mm tires
    Clincher (and tubeless compatible)
    Ideally around $200-400 (total) for both wheels

A friend recommended these (ttps://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/pro-lite-revo-sa21w-centre-lock-road-wheelset-2019/rp-prod164248): thoughts? Would love to buy something US-based for simplicity but open to suggestions.

selling : Van Dessel WTF in 56cm (medium to large)

Comes with all the bikepacking bags you can need (rosswheel seatbag, Handlebar harness and drybag, and custom made frame bag from porcelain rocket)

brand new tires, 700*37 small block 8 pro, set up tubeless.

new saddle

new seat post

new bar tape

almost new brake pads,

almost new shifter and brake, cable and housing, both front and rear.

I have some other drop handlebars bars, stems and saddles if you want other options for fit too. Lots of room on the fork to change the fit.

You can fit up to 29* 2.2 tires on it. Run full fenders, heck put on a dropper post and suspension fork and get rad. Room for 5 bottle cages (3 on frame, 2 on fork)

Bike is a 105 parts spec (2*11 speed/disc brake), and sold for $2100 US new. Then add the bags and the package is $3000 CND. Selling for $1500 CND, or $1100 US firm. Will drop the price if not sold by spring. Selling as drop bars and I dont get along well.

Bike is in banff, alberta. Can ship if needed, or maybe drop off in AB/BC.

specs on the frame, and geometery all avail here.

https://www.vandesselcycles.com/bike...p-9SaWEu0lJZRY

Picked up a cheap used CX bike to use in the Santa Monicas (Spec. Comp Crux, disc Apex). After one ride on the 32c slick tires it's clear that a) I'm out of shape, and b) I'm going to need something wider & grippier. Seems like the move is to order some 40c and run em tubeless, yeah? Anyone have suggestions on changing the gearing on it for steep climbing? Currently running 11-28t with 46/36 up front.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

If the wheels are tubeless ready, yeah definitely. Otherwise just the biggest tires that fit and have tread go a long way. You might not be able to fit a 40, especially in the back, but it depends on the wheel and actual tire. There are plenty of 35-38s around though.

For gearing, I assume it's 10 speed? Easiest option is wider range cassette with a long cage derailleur to go with it. A 10 speed X9/X0/GX clutched mtb derailleur will work and just going to an 11-36 would make a big difference. You could keep it a double or just make it 1x10 with the chainring of your choice.

Posting this up now to see if anyone will have any interest. I just ordered a Cervelo Apex 1 and a full GRX Group as well. I will be flipping the Apex 1x stuff, so if anyone needs a gravel build, I will have the following for sale in the next few weeks:
    Basically, the entire bike minus the frame/fork/stem. Would like to get ~500 for the whole shebang, will part out to an extent.
    Apex1 40t GXP Crank
    Sram PC1110
    Apex1 RD
    11-42 PG-1130
    Apex 1 HRD shifters
    EA50 AX bar
    Easton Ea 50 27.2 Seatpost
    Cervelo road saddle
    Centerline 160 Rotors
    Alexrims Boondocks 7-D Tubeless
    Donnelly X'Plor MSO 700x40 Folding
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    sorry if I missed this with my lightweight searching.... anyone riding the rodeo-labs bikes? I've fondled (but not ridden) a few in person, both the steel Flaaminal and the carbon Trail Donkey. Frame construction and finish look really nice, and I like how they go out of their way to design in utility. I'm going to replace a Haanjo Trail Carbon soon and was thinking a Rodeo-labs would be a really nice treat of an upgrade if I can swing it. Would love to hear the collective's thoughts thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    sorry if I missed this with my lightweight searching.... anyone riding the rodeo-labs bikes? I've fondled (but not ridden) a few in person, both the steel Flaaminal and the carbon Trail Donkey. Frame construction and finish look really nice, and I like how they go out of their way to design in utility. I'm going to replace a Haanjo Trail Carbon soon and was thinking a Rodeo-labs would be a really nice treat of an upgrade if I can swing it. Would love to hear the collective's thoughts thanks.
    I think you should buy mntlions WTF so that I don't.

I also wonder what you're getting over the Haanjo? Serious question. There was a period when gravel bikes were changing and separating themselves from CX and road bikes in geo and tire capacity, but it seems like that's happened, and everything is basically the same. I'm interested to see if the Chamois Hagar pushes gravel bike geo at all. My Breezer is too big, so I'm semi in the market, but I'm also tempted to build my Haanjo back up and ride it for the next couple of years while I watch and wait. I'm never going to pay Evil money for a gravel bike, but it would be cool to be able to buy something with similar geo that's a lot cheaper and steel.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 03-05-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bumping this up. I have the gravel bug pretty bad. Been so nice to leave my house, not have to go to any trailheads, and not see 500 bros tailgating at said trailhead. I'm a mountain biker at heart, but I think this covid stuff has been the catalyst to get out on long solo missions.

I can ride about 10 miles before I have to ride gravel and my road bike just aint cutting it. So many beautiful dirt roads that I want to explore.

I can get deals at a bike company, but damn they are always 6+ weeks out on any orders. Brutal.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a used or on-sale or shop demo Salsa Cutthroat. I already have a huge mustache and mullet. Just need the gravel bike and way more tattoos.

Do it.

Was living overseas a few years ago now, racing low level road and cx. Had a CX bike ontop of my other bikes... Moved back out to Vancouver, and though, with all the mountain biking and road biking, I have no need for a cross bike, and I'll probably never ride it.

Fast forward to end of last summer. Got a wicked deal on a landyachtz frame (https://landyachtzbikes.com), built up a pretty chill cross bike, and honestly it's been a fucking blast. Ripping easy mountain bike trails, road rides in shitty weather. It's kind of a do it all bike, and it's a ton of fun.

tl; dr; go buy a bike then ride it lots.

Don't have much reason against that, although it does seem to be built so you can add a suspension fork so the front end is way up there for a rigid bike, and it's more relaxed and upright and touring oriented. So if it's going to be a salsa check out the warbird and vaya too.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Don't have much reason against that, although it does seem to be built so you can add a suspension fork so the front end is way up there for a rigid bike, and it's more relaxed and upright and touring oriented. So if it's going to be a salsa check out the warbird and vaya too.
    Yeah, I was looking at the warbird too. I definitely want carbon and definitely want to do some long bikepacking rides. Figured a little more upright may help on long rides. Putting a sus fork on down the road might be cool too. After about 75ish miles my neck starts to get pretty sore on a standard race type geometry road bike.

I've been drooling over the Rodeo Labs bikes for awhile... check em out.

I've put about 1000 miles on this since covid. Aluminum and Sram Force for $2000 or so. Stiff and fast. Tubeless 650 tires. Feels like a xc mountain bike and a road bike had sex

Like the last thing I should do is spend money right now, but also the most enjoyable and beneficial thing I have going right now is riding bikes. As you guys know go ride a bike for 3 or 4 hours and you forget that anything is wrong in the world.

Also, I kind of ruined myself with plastic bikes. Don't know if I can ever go back to alu or steel.

I just bought another aluminum bike. I'm sick of $3000 frames

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Like the last thing I should do is spend money right now, but also the most enjoyable and beneficial thing I have going right now is riding bikes. As you guys know go ride a bike for 3 or 4 hours and you forget that anything is wrong in the world.

Also, I kind of ruined myself with plastic bikes. Don't know if I can ever go back to alu or steel.
    There’s always titanium.

100% agreed about riding being one of the only senses of normalcy lately. A few hours among dirt roads, farms and mountain views and you’d swear it’s just another day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I just bought another aluminum bike. I'm sick of $3000 frames
    New sure, but there are lots of carbon bikes with decent drivetrains on PB for around 2k.

Thank god for bikes. I’ve been loving creating new routes and getting in 75-100 miles a week since this shot started.

Gravelmap.com is my 2nd favorite site these days.

Caveat emptor

I'd do the Cutthroat in a heartbeat, but I don't think that I want the 2020 version. Something different with the frame that limits the low gearing allowed up front. For long bikepacking, that wouldn't work for me. If you do FB, check out the Salsa and Surly Trader (or similar named group). I was in there the other day and they had several Cutthroats at what appeared to be decent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I'd do the Cutthroat in a heartbeat, but I don't think that I want the 2020 version. Something different with the frame that limits the low gearing allowed up front. For long bikepacking, that wouldn't work for me. If you do FB, check out the Salsa and Surly Trader (or similar named group). I was in there the other day and they had several Cutthroats at what appeared to be decent prices.
    Hmmm, guess I didn't really realize there are differences between prior years and 2020 Cutthroats.

I don't facebook, but maybe I can still e-stalk those groups or are they private? I need something in a 54cm (current sizing) or Small of previous model years.

I'm still so torn though. I can get a great deal on these new. I'm sure it will be a badass bike. Just not sure I can wait over a month to get it.

https://www.knollybikes.com/steelcache

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Gravelmap.com is my 2nd favorite site these days.
    thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm still so torn though. I can get a great deal on these new. I'm sure it will be a badass bike. Just not sure I can wait over a month to get it.

https://www.knollybikes.com/steelcache
    I'd wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I'd wait.
    The thing is there is not a single actual riding review anywhere out there. I doubt I will hate it, but I just have no idea what I'm getting into. My instinct is that steel bikes are kinda squishy, not very responsive/snappy......but the last steel bike I had any time on was an 80s road bike that I rode to class in college.