Page 11 of 99 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I'm in banff, and a bike mechanic set up at the start. Let me know if you want to escape the TD nerds (kookie fuckers) and go for a beer

or need a hand with bike stuff, or planning the TD

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I'm in banff, and a bike mechanic set up at the start. Let me know if you want to escape the TD nerds (kookie fuckers) and go for a beer

or need a hand with bike stuff, or planning the TD
    Awesome. Thanks for this. Part of me feels like getting there will be one of the the hardest parts. Logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for this. Part of me feels like getting there will be one of the the hardest parts. Logistics.

for logistics, fly to calgary with bike 2 days before you want to start, easy often shuttles to banff, book a room SOON (yes it will not be cheap) build bike, eat lots of good meals, start pedaling one morning.

Whitefish bike retreat also does shuttles from whitefish to banff

Alright Gravel bike people i need some advice... i've been debating getting a gravel bike for some time now and i think this winter i might try to build one. Funds aren't there for new (or probably even complete used) bike and i will rely on friends who have a ton of parts and knowledge. I'm good with bikes, have the tools so i'm not shy to put one together myself if need be.

I'm not looking to bike pack or travel but just pound off nice gravel trails i have behind my house when i don't feel like getting the Bronson out (or riding that bike on mainly flat, walkable trails).

I had a road bike once in my life and i hated it.... mind you i rode once on a highway full of cars and thought i was going to die... riding a similar bike in nature sounds good!

My first questions;
    Thinking i want disc brakes, is this necessary?
    Steel? Aluminum? does it matter?
    Can i put one together from a 30-40 year old road bike or will i run into a bunch of issues with tire clearance and such?
    Any particular bikes (5-10 years old) i could get at a decent price that you guys like?

I think a gravel bike would fit well into my quiver of Bronson and Farley and i'm pumped to hear what you guys have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Can i put one together from a 30-40 year old road bike or will i run into a bunch of issues with tire clearance and such?
    Any particular bikes (5-10 years old) i could get at a decent price that you guys like?
    Can you? Yes but you're going to run into hassles and no disc brakes may be a downer in less than perfect conditions. Try this for new then upgrade parts as you go. https://www.reidbikes.com/product/granite-1-0-usa/

Biggest hassles with an old road frame are no bosses for cantilever or disc brakes and tire clearance. I have Ultegra discs and wouldn't be able to ride some of the offroad trails I regularly ride without them[or would be riding much slower].

What is your budget?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Discs are key for getting off road.

Not sure what your budget is but I see lots of Craigslist bikes on the $1k range that are worth buying.

All very good info! My thoughts were that disc was the only way to go but thought i would see what you guys thought.

As someone else said in this thread "Gravel Bike" is certainly a hot topic now, lots of companies lining up to take your money.

Budget would probably be sub 1k at this time... like i said i have a good amount of bikes now (and skis) and if the wife sees me bring in another bike there might be hell to pay, gotta sneak it into the basement to work on it, haha.

I found a 10 year old Jake the Snake on pinkbike that the guy wants (IMO) way too much for that i may try to wheel and deal.

At this point i'm in no rush as i'll be focused on skiing and fat biking for the winter but wouldn't mind grabbing something when the deals are good

There plenty of solid out of the box gravel bikes out there for under $2k. But if you want to build you own, I would start looking for an older, steel XC frame or something with ample tire clearance and disc brake tabs.

I rode an old XC frame built up as a gravel bike for a couple years. It certainly did the job but upgrading to a proper gravel set up this year was a welcome improvement.

Is Steel really important for vibration dampening and such with no suspension or is that just hype? My fat bike is rigid but also has those massive tires to eat up some road.

^^^ Gravel bikes run bigger tires (mine are 40’s); tire pressure makes a bigger difference than frame materials, IMO.

I think it depends on what you are used to and tire width. In other words, an alu bike with 50mm tires running 30psi will likely next as supple as a steel bike on 32s @ 70 psi.

That all makes sense.... So i don't need to splurge or focus on steel other then the cool factor

I see the Framed Gavier bike being on sale for $1500 new right now. Shopping for a used gravel bike isn't going to turn up very much in my experience.

What size bike are you looking for? I’ll probably be selling my Jake Carbon sometime this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    What size bike are you looking for? I’ll probably be selling my Jake Carbon sometime this winter.

Medium/Large? i'm 5'11", average length legs/torso/arms

How much bacon you looking for it? 3lbs?

Word, it should fit. Not quite sure yet....probably right around $1k. Gonna be zwifting on it for a few months, but getting something fresh for this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Word, it should fit. Not quite sure yet....probably right around $1k. Gonna be zwifting on it for a few months, but getting something fresh for this spring.

sounds good man, let me know before you sell it and you might have a buyer! what year/spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I think it depends on what you are used to and tire width. In other words, an alu bike with 50mm tires running 30psi will likely next as supple as a steel bike on 32s @ 70 psi.
    Can’t find the link now, but this summer while nerding out about tire pressure I came across an interview with a technical guy from one of the big European pro cycling teams discussing their tire pressure testing. He claimed that the difference in subjective ride feel between carbon and aluminum frames was equivalent to about 5 psi in the tires. This was for skinny tired road bikes, and with larger volume tires I expect the difference would be even smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Can’t find the link now, but this summer while nerding out about tire pressure I came across an interview with a technical guy from one of the big European pro cycling teams discussing their tire pressure testing. He claimed that the difference in subjective ride feel between carbon and aluminum frames was equivalent to about 5 psi in the tires. This was for skinny tired road bikes, and with larger volume tires I expect the difference would be even smaller.
    Interesting.... I believe it. I’d be happy with steel or aluminum really.

Nukeproof Digger is available again. Killer deal on a rad 650b gravel bike.

Honest question - what are the advantages of a industry marketed, modern gravel bike over a rigid mtb with ≤ 2" tires? I'm currently riding a 2000ish Ibis Hakkalugi with canti brakes and 40c tires for exploring forest roads around western MT. I'd like to upgrade because i sometimes feel under gunned for forest roads in really poor shape or with gnarly washboards. Ideally, I'd like something with through axles and disc brakes. It seems like a xc hardtail mtb with a rigid fork and skinny tires would do the job just fine, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Honest question - what are the advantages of a industry marketed, modern gravel bike over a rigid mtb with ≤ 2" tires? I'm currently riding a 2000ish Ibis Hakkalugi with canti brakes and 40c tires for exploring forest roads around western MT. I'd like to upgrade because i sometimes feel under gunned for forest roads in really poor shape or with gnarly washboards. Ideally, I'd like something with through axles and disc brakes. It seems like a xc hardtail mtb with a rigid fork and skinny tires would do the job just fine, no?
    Prolly.

A gravel bike is a road bike designed for wide tires, and sometimes bumps.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Gravel vs. Mtn bike hard tail have to be one of the most discussed topics next to tire choice. Google "gravel or hard tail" and it is pages of opinions and forum discussions

Mtn bike hard tails no longer come with 3x gear sets so your gearing options are limited. With 1x you likely aren't going to get frame clearance for a single 40-44 tooth front chaining you'll want. That is my personal observation.

I have a Surly Instigator frame that isn't doing much right now that i debated to try turning into a gravel machine of some type... drop bars, narrow tires... but that frame is a heavy beast so it wouldn't be light.