Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Mtnlion, didn't know it was a maggot offering that service. I hope they all treat you right. Someday I'll line up for that one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Mtnlion, didn't know it was a maggot offering that service. I hope they all treat you right. Someday I'll line up for that one.

Yup, Thats me

you can arrive for the line up, or just ride it too. If you do, or have questions, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’m trying to decide how to have my cell phone accessible during rides. Attach a mount to the back of my phone case and “click” into a base on the stem or bars or choose a bento box style top bar bag with a window with touch screen sensitivity.

What are folks using?
    If this works with your phone https://www.amazon.com/Rokform-Rugge.../dp/B075DJ7H27 They have others that aren't as tough but ought to be more than sufficient. Paired with their bike mount https://www.rokform.com/pages/bike-mounts you've got a pretty solid system.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Yup, Thats me
    I rode Banff to Lincoln two years ago, what a beautiful section. Literally just moved to Missoula yesterday, so I plan on doing more of the route and getting back up there.

Not sure if it was mentioned up thread. But the new Wild West Route has some real possibilities of making loops with the Tour Divide Route. For me it would be Missoula to Seeley Lake, the up to Eureka on the TD. Then south to Superior on the Wild West. Connecting back to Missoula via gravel.

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/wild-west-route.html

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I rode Banff to Lincoln two years ago, what a beautiful section. Literally just moved to Missoula yesterday, so I plan on doing more of the route and getting back up there.

Not sure if it was mentioned up thread. But the new Wild West Route has some real possibilities of making loops with the Tour Divide Route. For me it would be Missoula to Seeley Lake, the up to Eureka on the TD. Then south to Superior on the Wild West. Connecting back to Missoula via gravel.

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/wild-west-route.html

fun option!

if you get this fat north, let me know. I also have some good suggestions in this area and the columbia valley

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Happened to be in Whitefish riding bike park yesterday and drove back to Bozeman in the afternoon on 83. Definitely passed some TD riders. So cool. Yesterday was a gorgeous day to be out there despite a couple good rain showers

Asked this over in the northeast thread, but it might get more reply here -

Is there some reason why a small handlebar bag costs so damn much? I only have one jersey with pockets and really don't like when my food and phone are all sweaty during a ride so I thought the burrito bag might be a decent choice. But $70?

C'mon.

My cursory take: People into gravel generally have money, gravel riding is blowing the fuck up, companies can throw crazy numbers out there for product and people will buy it....

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Asked this over in the northeast thread, but it might get more reply here -

Is there some reason why a small handlebar bag costs so damn much? I only have one jersey with pockets and really don't like when my food and phone are all sweaty during a ride so I thought the burrito bag might be a decent choice. But $70?

C'mon.
    I like this one, sits on the front of the top tube.
    https://www.sunrisecyclery.com/produ...iABEgKr1fD_BwE
    crab in my shoe mouth

Fuck it. I just found this old Nalgene Insulation sleeve in the basement. It’s got a 1.5”x3.5” velcro strap that should hold well for gravel (maybe not class 4 though). It’s a little wonky given that it’s strapped to my stem, but well padded from the insulation for my phone, snacks, etc., and it’s free. No issues with steering in the driveway yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3765.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	286048

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	286049

Fuck it. I just found this old Nalgene Insulation sleeve in the basement. It’s got a 1.5”x3.5” velcro strap that should hold well for gravel (maybe not class 4 though). It’s a little wonky given that it’s strapped to my stem, but well padded from the insulation for my phone, snacks, etc., and it’s free. No issues with steering in the driveway yet.

Name:	IMG_3765.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	286048

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	286049
    No dude, just no! Get the Bonty Box.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    No dude, just no! Get the Bonty Box.
    Google chuckbucket- all the cool kids are doing it.

Google chuckbucket- all the cool kids are doing it.
    Oh fuck no! Why would you give up that hand position?
    Go on Now, get the Bonty!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Oh fuck no! Why would you give up that hand position?
    Go on Now, get the Bonty!
    I’ve run one a few times and it doesn’t really impede hand positioning, or at least not for me as there is no reason to have your hands that close to the stem. It’s a handy bag location and helpful for long 1 day rides with limited supports for refueling. My biggest issue is sometimes I’d graze my right knee on it.

In a strong headwind or something, I like to get my hands really close to the stem and tuck down almost like I'm on TT bars. Seems marginally more aerodynamic than being in the drops as my shoulders and arms are tucked in more.

That roadrunner bags guy seems like a good dude, we have some mutual friends and guys I used to ride with in LA are always out doing stuff with him. Also he got bit by a rattlesnake on a ride a few years ago so maybe his bags have to cost more to pay off those medical bills. I kind of want that wedge half frame bag and the smaller burrito bag, although they're probably only useful for longer single day trips.

As far as spending less on bags goes, there's jandd, some guys on ebay that do custom bags for less than the name brands, and some cheaper amazon/ebay pre-made stuff.

https://www.jandd.com/search_results...vel=2&subcat=5
    Last edited by jamal; 06-17-2019 at 03:47 PM.

#colormatchedkooklifekooziesteeze
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Happened to be in Whitefish riding bike park yesterday and drove back to Bozeman in the afternoon on 83. Definitely passed some TD riders. So cool. Yesterday was a gorgeous day to be out there despite a couple good rain showers
    the event started Friday 8am, Leaders where thru WF by sat pm. Kooks

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    #colormatchedkooklifekooziesteeze
    I’m starting a trend here.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    the event started Friday 8am, Leaders where thru WF by sat pm. Kooks
    Leader rode to Helena before sleeping, sixty something hours. Averaging 225 miles a day. Can he sustain that?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Leader rode to Helena before sleeping, sixty something hours. Averaging 225 miles a day. Can he sustain that?
    Holy fucking hell.

Even if you can somehow intake enough fuel to ride 225 miles for days on end, mentally you have to get to some weird places. Like hallucinating while riding at 4am, etc. Can't be safe at all.

Yeah that's impressive. Doesn't seem sustainable but people are capable of some amazing things.

Lael is already through Wise River. Well ahead of the current women's record.

How are people following this beside the Live Tracking website? That is a phenomenal distance that people have gone in the first 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    How are people following this beside the Live Tracking website? That is a phenomenal distance that people have gone in the first 4 days.
    I've been following at the link below. It adds some commentary and photos the Track Leaders feed.
    https://dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2019