Page 36 of 98 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Got some 737's in the parts bin.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    that's a nice spec at that pricepoint... dropper, carbon bar, GRX 810... I've always liked Kona.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Shakedown ride for Mrs P today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBAF076B-8663-4892-823C-5F773D90301A.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	340811

Name:	EF09ED79-428A-45A6-9216-778E2FF2F1A1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	340812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6317.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	340810  

That's a nice looking rig. I actually like the 650 wheels and that frame will take some big tires.

650x47 WTB Ventures came stock.

rig looks great. Steel is real. extra points for singletrack in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    rig looks great. Steel is real. extra points for singletrack in jeans.
    It was only a dozen miles in town with a mix of single track, bike path, and city road.

Today we headed out for 36 miles of mixed terrain. It’s heavier than her Spesh Roubaix, but she loved it on the gravel sections as she was getting used to the 1x.

Name:	IMG_4208.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	340895

Gravel grinder / hardtail mtb question: I’m not interested in building a dedicated drop bar GG, but I may be doing a longish day ride / race with some friends next year that is 80% gravel w/ some singletrack. My plan is to throw some 700x45C tires on a set of 29er wheels and put them on my 27.5 Ragley Blue Pig & drop the pike to 140 or so travel. Current OD of 2.6” tires on there is 28.0”; the resulting 29er OD would be 27.8”, so other than slightly dropping the already low BB it should work well.

But none of my 29er rims are less than 30 mm IW, so running a 45 C tire may be less than ideal. WTB’s table says it’s Compatible but not ideal obviously. Any real world thought? Alternatively if anyone knows of a good deal on 29er wheelset with narrowish XC rims ....

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Gravel grinder / hardtail mtb question: I’m not interested in building a dedicated drop bar GG, but I may be doing a longish day ride / race with some friends next year that is 80% gravel w/ some singletrack. My plan is to throw some 700x45C tires on a set of 29er wheels and put them on my 27.5 Ragley Blue Pig & drop the pike to 140 or so travel. Current OD of 2.6” tires on there is 28.0”; the resulting 29er OD would be 27.8”, so other than slightly dropping the already low BB it should work well.

But none of my 29er rims are less than 30 mm IW, so running a 45 C tire may be less than ideal. WTB’s table says it’s Compatible but not ideal obviously. Any real world thought? Alternatively if anyone knows of a good deal on 29er wheelset with narrowish XC rims ....
    For a one-off ride, you can run what you brung. My bud has ridden a local 45 mile/4500' elevation fundraiser ride on his Spesh Fatboy and his Santa Cruz Tallboy without any changes at all. It all depends on how you are riding (racing vs just having fun) and how long the ride you plan to do is. The biggest issue may be your gearing as you will likely spin out at well below 30mph on flats/downhills.

If you really need some 'upgrade' for the ride, consider some XC race tires so you can still use them on firmer single track days.

Or do you have a set of roadwheels you can fit? Generic hub spacers for boost adapters don't cost much - $10 each end on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Before COVID, I would do local gravel rides/events and you'd see all kinds of bikes doing 30-40 miles. Fat bikes, full suspension, hardtails, I even saw a guy on a hardtail towing his kid in a trailer for 45 miles. Throw in some narrower XC tires and ride.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Can you borrow a Hard Tail from someone? My first gravel event, I rented a gravel rig from the LBS and had a blast. If you plan on not getting dropped, demo/rent a gravel bike.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Thx all for the comments. re: Gearing...my hardtail has the e13 46-9 tooth cogs, so I was planning on swapping my 32 ring for a 34 or 36 (if it fits).

Re: throwing on some narrow XC tires on the 27.5 wheels...yeah that won’t work too well. The blue pig is squarely in the low and slack new school geo with tall 2.6” or 2.8” tires. A small volume XC tire would mean I’d be riding a skateboard....unless I put my 29er rims on there.

There’s 60 and 120 mile ride options. If I do the 120, the bike setup becomes more significant .

Thx all for the comments. re: Gearing...my hardtail has the e13 46-9 tooth cogs, so I was planning on swapping my 32 ring for a 34 or 36 (if it fits).

Re: throwing on some narrow XC tires on the 27.5 wheels...yeah that won’t work too well. The blue pig is squarely in the low and slack new school geo with tall 2.6” or 2.8” tires. A small volume XC tire would mean I’d be riding a skateboard....unless I put my 29er rims on there.

There’s 60 and 120 mile ride options. If I do the 120, the bike setup becomes more significant .
    Any decent bike rentals near you? Friends who owe you a favor?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Could you just run the 27.5x2.8 G-One Schwalbes?

Had to google those. Might be the easiest solution esp after reading this glowing review: https://bikepacking.com/gear/schwalbe-g-one-allround/

Hmm. The TLE (tubeless) version is apparently hard to find. I wonder how well the non TLE version works.

Check out this chart for some other low rolling resistance mtb tires: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

The difference between the fastest and slowest mtb tires he's tested is almost 30 Watts per tire (at 25psi), which is enormous.

Rolling resistance has more to do with the rubber compound and tire construction than width. The top tire in the mtb category is comparable to some of the faster road tires, at typical pressures for their respective widths.

I love the g-one allround tread... I've only ridden the narrower widths (35, 38c) but I really like them as a general purpose mixed surface tire, including your basic gravel road/path. very easy to get along with on tarmac too.

Trying to decide if I want to plussify my Sutra LTD. I ride gravel for like a month in the spring and fall, the rest of the summer it's my bike packing rig. Recently took it on a single track trip with some really awesome trail (equivalent tech/steepness to riding down like two Pole Canyons in a row, with a couple of Lithium-style corners thrown in for you Teton people) and it slayed. I couldn't believe what I was getting down without any issues on a drop bar bike.

The problem is tire clearance. I jammed a 2.3" Minion SS in the back and a 2.4" Butcher in the front, and both rubbed a fair bit, but made things totally rideable. So now I need to decide, do I go with slightly smaller tires (maybe a 2.1" Rekon out back and a 2.5 DHF up front?) or do I try to snag a second set of wheels and run a 27.5+ setup. I've seen reports of people running 27.5x2.8's in this frame no problem....

It's cheaper to just get lower profile tires, but it would be pretty sweet to be able to just swap between wheel sets instead of doing tubeless fuckery on these stock rims that aren't stoked on being run tubeless already.

Don't tell me to buy a ULTD. I want it, but I really don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Trying to decide if I want to plussify my Sutra LTD. I ride gravel for like a month in the spring and fall, the rest of the summer it's my bike packing rig. Recently took it on a single track trip with some really awesome trail (equivalent tech/steepness to riding down like two Pole Canyons in a row, with a couple of Lithium-style corners thrown in for you Teton people) and it slayed. I couldn't believe what I was getting down without any issues on a drop bar bike.

The problem is tire clearance. I jammed a 2.3" Minion SS in the back and a 2.4" Butcher in the front, and both rubbed a fair bit, but made things totally rideable. So now I need to decide, do I go with slightly smaller tires (maybe a 2.1" Rekon out back and a 2.5 DHF up front?) or do I try to snag a second set of wheels and run a 27.5+ setup. I've seen reports of people running 27.5x2.8's in this frame no problem....

It's cheaper to just get lower profile tires, but it would be pretty sweet to be able to just swap between wheel sets instead of doing tubeless fuckery on these stock rims that aren't stoked on being run tubeless already.

Don't tell me to buy a ULTD. I want it, but I really don't need it.
    I agree on the two wheelsets, one bike idea... I just pulled the trigger on a rodeo labs trail donkey with 700c stock wheels and am getting a cheaper 27.5 alloy set built up locally so I can do exactly what you describe.

I'm sure they ride well, but I'd consider buying a Trail Donkey on looks alone. Rad bike!

x2 on 2 wheelsets.

If i run across a set of 27.5/650b QR 9x100 wheels that can take some fat rubber, I’m gonna buy em.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I'm sure they ride well, but I'd consider buying a Trail Donkey on looks alone. Rad bike!
    thanks! after a lot of research and getting to fondle one in person, I'm excited about my decision. Seems like a great fit for supreme versatility and a really bomber build. The Rodeo Labs crew appears to put a lot of thought into the design and engineering details which I appreciate. Now the painful wait... they are dealing with various covid related challenges just like everyone else.

I'm kicking the tires on a gravel bike, any suggestions from the the peanut gallery? I have a bunch of missions in mind for this bike...in order of frequency:

-Commute when that becomes a thing again. I'm likely going to move, so no idea how far that will be, but probably not more than 7 miles one way. Will be using panniers, a rear rack, and probably fenders
    -Actual gravel riding during the summer season. It will be mainly gravel roads / fire roads, and very little singletrack.
    -Some winter road riding when the weather doesn't suck because my road bike is probably going to stay on a trainer all winter
    -Loaded touring, primarily road, for the hypothetical day I can get away for a week or two

I own a road bike for Fredly endeavors and an antique hardtail that is mainly a bar/grocery bike but I can use for mellow singletrack etc. I rent fancy MTBs if I'm somewhere with a trail network, so the road and MTB side of things are covered pretty well.

I'm partial to steel but not militant about it, and am agnostic about the # of chainrings. I'm not usually this finicky, but a pressfit bottom bracket in my road bike has been a huge PITA this summer, so I'd prefer to avoid them. On budget, I'd want to stay under $2,500 and even better if $2k was possible. I've looked at the Surly Midnight Special and Straggler and they could be possibilities, and I love the idea of a Voodoo Juju but it's out of my price range.

What else should I be looking at?
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 10-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Salsa Journeyman is a solid value, well under your budget.