Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Seems it would be especially bad on a fat bike. I've only ridden one a few times (a fat bike, not a lauf) but all that wheel and tire mass really wants to do it's own thing once you pick up some speed. Adding a poorly damped spring into the mix seems like it might not be helpful.

And now that I think about it, I know of a guy with a drop bar fat bike with a lauf. Think he puts skinner tires on for the summer. Next time I see him I'll have to ask about it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Seems kinda whack, but dude has ridden his bike from Yukon to Peru, switched to the fatbike with Lauf sometime in Colombia.

The Cache looks amazing and I debated that as well, but, just to throw it out there, I know it's been beaten to death on other forums, but, I have probably 3,000+ miles on a now 4 year old $450 generic china carbon frame/fork combo that barely weighs anything, and have had zero issues with it. Every time I try to justify upgrading to something like the Knolly Cache I just look at my perfectly usable super cheap frame that has survived a bunch of (not too terrible) crashes, plane flights, full tune ups, being disassembled/reassembled probably 6-7 times by mechanics of varying competencies (including myself) and I just can't justify the upgrade. YMMV, but if money is even a small factor in decision making I have had nothing but great experiences with going this route. Also have 2 sets of lightbicycle china carbon rims that I built up myself and also have been flawless. I know that wasn't your question in the OP, but, that's my answer anyway

And now for a pic from a mid week trip from Pittsburgh to DC on the Chinese bike I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I also would love to know about how they feel. They look springy with basically no damping, but they can't actually feel that way.

https://www.instagram.com/iohangue/

^This dude had riden his Lauf fork on a fatbike from like Colombia all the way to Peru.....taking the longest possible route pretty much. I assume when you want ZERO maintenance it's the fork to take.
    I met Iohan in Peru and got to try out his bike briefly. The fork combined with fat tires made for a really smooth ride on rough dirt roads. It was about as slow going up as you'd expect, but he's in no rush to get anywhere, so I don't think he cares. I think the Lauf fork is fine if you're sticking to dirt roads, double-track and smooth single-track.

Did a "gravel race" today outside of Polson, MT which is on the south end of flathead lake. So you're on the west side of that big valley, starting near the dam, riding around on completely empty roads and up a few hills. It was cold, and windy. Every time I've done this, I used slicks, in varying widths on varying bikes. The first time I did it on a road bike on 23s, because it was what I had. I barely stayed upright on the fast gravel descents, flatted (twice?), and shredded the sidewalls of both tires. Then did the same thing a few more times, most recently with 32 slicks on my cross bike, which is a lot better but still not fun on the gravel. Even treaded cross tires aren't great in the loose stuff because they're narrow. Today I just kept it conservative, used a 40mm wtb nano on the front, 38 spesh tracer pro rear. As big as will fit in the frame, treaded, still reasonably fast rolling. 32psi front, 40 rear. I was so much happier, comfortable, and stable. Also did pretty well (3rd). I guess what I'm trying to say is try to avoid using skinny slicks on gravel.
    Last edited by jamal; 04-28-2019 at 11:17 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Did a "gravel race" today outside of Polson, MT which is on the south end of flathead lake. So you're on the west side of that big valley, starting near the dam, riding around on completely empty roads and up a few hills. It was cold, and windy. Every time I've done this, I used slicks, in varying widths on varying bikes. The first time I did it on a road bike on 23s, because it was what I had. I barely stayed upright on the fast gravel descents, flatted (twice?), and shredded the sidewalls of both tires. Then did the same thing a few more times, most recently with 32 slicks on my cross bike, which is a lot better but still not fun on the gravel. Even treaded cross tires aren't great in the loose stuff because they're narrow. Today I just kept it conservative, used a 40mm wtb nano on the front, 38 spesh tracer pro rear. As big as will fit in the frame, treaded, still reasonably fast rolling. 32psi front, 40 rear. I was so much happier, comfortable, and stable. Also did pretty well (3rd). I guess what I'm trying to say is try to avoid using skinny slicks on gravel.
    Nice man. I've done the 23 slicks in gravel before. Sketch as hell. Talked to the dude at Knolly. They are gonna reserve a 54cm for me with the 105 build. Just gotta make some money ASAP and i'm gonna pull the trigger. Who want's to buy/sell a house?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    I met Iohan in Peru and got to try out his bike briefly. The fork combined with fat tires made for a really smooth ride on rough dirt roads. It was about as slow going up as you'd expect, but he's in no rush to get anywhere, so I don't think he cares. I think the Lauf fork is fine if you're sticking to dirt roads, double-track and smooth single-track.
    Well that musta been cool. I'm actually kinda surprised it was smooth, as I woulda expected what jamal described. I've been on a fat bike twice on dirt, and both times the mass and overall "bounciness" were big turn offs.
    Cool stuff, but not really the sort of thing I'm looking for. I was hoping the preciseness of the Lauf would outweigh its lack of damping. I don't think it does.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

New shimano gravel groupset was just announced.

I might try the 10spd double upfront when it's available...

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post

been using a 2*11spd 105 shifters with 36-50 front and 11-46 rear. Needs a XT rear der and wolf tooth tanpan.

works well. gives MANY options

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Well that musta been cool. I'm actually kinda surprised it was smooth, as I woulda expected what jamal described. I've been on a fat bike twice on dirt, and both times the mass and overall "bounciness" were big turn offs.
    Cool stuff, but not really the sort of thing I'm looking for. I was hoping the preciseness of the Lauf would outweigh its lack of damping. I don't think it does.
    If you were bouncing you had the pressure wrong. It's a fine line between traction, tire crease and the ensuing drag and traction. 1/2 psi either way makes a huge difference with high volume tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post

I’m liking the specs and price point on the GRX cranks and wheelset. I just hope Shimano isn’t still making shit hubs (?)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Subscribed for nuggets of gravel and bike packing wisdom.

Any of you fellow gravel geeks ride in sun valley? I signed up for a race there in August and and am curious what to expect - other than getting crushed by a large portion of the field of course.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 05-21-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Super sale on the Marin Gestalt X10 (1 by - 42 x 11-42) in my size. Tell me I should buy it!

Anybody want a brand new Norco Search XR Steel Apex 53 for a smokin' great deal? I was hoping it would fit better but I should have known better and just gotten the 51 the first time around.

Had a buddy that ran a lauf fork for three rides and then ditched it because it was heavy and really didn't provide that much dampening
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Ron!

Rontele!

PM!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Had a buddy that ran a lauf fork for three rides and then ditched it because it was heavy and really didn't provide that much dampening
    Those offer NO damping, all they are is a leaf spring. They look pretty goofy too 🙃

Any of you sickos doing or know if anyone doing the Dirty Kanza? All of a sudden I’m seeing locals posting how they’re on the way there now.

2700 people entered. Seems like a bucket list suffer fest.

I know a couple of girls who do it. Guys also but they don't talk about it as much. Seems like a great way to ruin an expensive bike.

I know a couple of people going but nope. Also if you guys don't follow gravel tryhard on instagram you're missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Lauf forks?
    Got to try one in Iceland a couple years back. The damping was pretty non-existant and the fact it was also a hard tail with fat tires made it super bouncy and led to some exciting moments on rocky/tech descents. The fork was fine on slower techy riding and felt good on fire roads, just enough to take the edge off and smooth vibrations. The bike could monster truck over anything as long as your legs had the power but that was more due to the fat tires than the fork. Overall I wasn't impressed with it and would probably just go rigid fork instead if I wanted simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Any of you sickos doing or know if anyone doing the Dirty Kanza? All of a sudden I’m seeing locals posting how they’re on the way there now.

2700 people entered. Seems like a bucket list suffer fest.

The Dirty Kanza seems like it borrows from the worst part of every racing category. Pro Tour length? Check. Too many people? Check. py roads and no singletrack? Check. 10 hours on a bike? Check.

Gimme half that distance, no people, singletrack and several food and coffee stops, thank you very much.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    The Dirty Kanza seems like it borrows from the worst part of every racing category. Pro Tour length? Check. Too many people? Check. py roads and no singletrack? Check. 10 hours on a bike? Check.

Gimme half that distance, no people, singletrack and several food and coffee stops, thank you very much.

I’m fascinated by the hype and the idea of a 200 mile day/night on gravel roads.

I did some reading on it last night it sounds like it evolved from a cool race in an unassuming locale to a destination shit show. It went from a few hundred to almost a few thousand riders since ‘06.

Also a good point about no singletrack. I love how gravel rides I’ve done around here mix in a good amount of real trail to keep the roadies on their toes. You don’t get that in Kansas.

Word, if you are using aero bars on a gravel bike, something is fucked.
    crab in my shoe mouth