Check Out Our Shop
Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2620
    Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    I'm looking for a steel or Ti hardtail 29er with 120-130 fork, mostly for bikepacking. I also want it to be a good trail bike for unloaded riding. Thinking I want something with similar angles and reach as my Tallboy 4, so 65-66 hta, 76-77 sta, 490 reach. A good selection of mounts, including rear rack would be great. There seem to be frames that have the geo I'm after, but not the mounts like the Lynskey Live Wire, and vice versa like the Esker Japhy. There are some good choices with steeper hta, slacker sta and mounts, like the Hayduke and El Jefe. I'm pretty sure I want rack mounts, but there are some alternative mounting options that sound good. Maybe I'm over-thinking the geo? What else should I be looking at?
    I bought a lynskey GR 300 in February and they seem open to some customization. Might be worth checking with them if they're willing to add rack mounts to a frame for you.

I'm looking for a steel or Ti hardtail 29er with 120-130 fork, mostly for bikepacking. I also want it to be a good trail bike for unloaded riding. Thinking I want something with similar angles and reach as my Tallboy 4, so 65-66 hta, 76-77 sta, 490 reach. A good selection of mounts, including rear rack would be great. There seem to be frames that have the geo I'm after, but not the mounts like the Lynskey Live Wire, and vice versa like the Esker Japhy. There are some good choices with steeper hta, slacker sta and mounts, like the Hayduke and El Jefe. I'm pretty sure I want rack mounts, but there are some alternative mounting options that sound good. Maybe I'm over-thinking the geo? What else should I be looking at?
    Does it HAVE to be racks? lots of other ways to carry gear for bikepacking?

Or racks that dont need frame attachment?

Then you can get the frame anlges you want, and not be limited by angles or have them added later

I'm using an Aeroe Spider rear rack for panniers on a a frame without mounts (for my commuter) and it's been rock solid. For sure not a cheapy option, but you'd be able to put it on damn near any frame. No impact on dropper use either. Not sure I'd use panniers on it for more than commuting, but for a basket or non-pannier use seems like a pretty solid setup.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I bought a lynskey GR 300 in February and they seem open to some customization. Might be worth checking with them if they're willing to add rack mounts to a frame for you.
    That's a good idea, will check with them. How do you like your GR 300? I got one 18 months ago, it's a pretty fun bike.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Does it HAVE to be racks? lots of other ways to carry gear for bikepacking?

Or racks that dont need frame attachment?

Then you can get the frame anlges you want, and not be limited by angles or have them added later
    No, doesn't have to be racks. Just thinking I'll want that option at some point. But you're right, plenty of other ways to carry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I'm using an Aeroe Spider rear rack for panniers on a a frame without mounts (for my commuter) and it's been rock solid. For sure not a cheapy option, but you'd be able to put it on damn near any frame. No impact on dropper use either. Not sure I'd use panniers on it for more than commuting, but for a basket or non-pannier use seems like a pretty solid setup.
    I have been leaning away from the racks that don't use traditional mounts because my impression is that they aren't as strong or reliable. Good to hear that Aeroe Spider has been working for you. I've heard from others recently that lots of the racks that attach in other ways are pretty good. Going with the frame geo I'm after and using a rack like the Aeroe is probably the way to go.

Old Man Mountains Axle mounted systems on bomber… likely stronger than any frame eyelets.

They work great on hard tails with a seat collar mount for the upper rack.

I have been leaning away from the racks that don't use traditional mounts because my impression is that they aren't as strong or reliable. Good to hear that Aeroe Spider has been working for you. I've heard from others recently that lots of the racks that attach in other ways are pretty good. Going with the frame geo I'm after and using a rack like the Aeroe is probably the way to go.

That's a good idea, will check with them. How do you like your GR 300? I got one 18 months ago, it's a pretty fun bike.
    I don't have much to compare it to, but I love it! It's been a blast on the farm roads near me, and has been confidence inspiring even on chunky gravel downhills.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4251.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	495412

I set a bike related goal at the start of the year, to pick a grab fondo to train for and go ride. I selected the Ruby Roubaix 121mile ride out in Lamoille NV. The loop was a 121 circumnavigation of the Ruby mountain range.
    I made it. Shout out to xtr pickles and the fast talk labs crew, I've been listening to their podcast, and some of the mental toughness stuff stuck. I thought I was gonna die at like mile 106-110 when the temps reached upper 90s, and the shitty ass road stretched on into the distance just uphill enough to make it a slog. But fkna I made it. Beautiful mountains and made a couple friends.
    This is my longest ride ever and my first century.

100 mile point selfie.
    Name:  PXL_20240622_203611188.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  90.6 KBName:  Screenshot_20240622-231636.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  104.3 KB
    Last edited by basinbeater; 06-22-2024 at 11:39 PM.
    sigless.

Congrats! Looks like a cool route. Was it a mix of road and gravel?

Yeah, like 60 pavement and 60 gravel. A lot of the gravel especially on the east side on the range was super smooth like riding road. The dirt from mile 105 to 110 or so was brutal hot energy sucking worst possible thing after 100+ miles. I thought I was done. I powered on slowly and eventually was able to bring it all the way to the finish.

Both of the major climbs up to passes were paved. Some hairball double track with people wrecking and getting flats in the first 25 miles. I thought that stuff was pretty fun.
    sigless.

Looking for rack advice.
    Basic rear rack, that is light weight and only needs to support 15pounds in a dry bag and no side panniers. Bonus points for the water bottle cage mounts on the vertical. Its going on a large moots YBB, tires ususully 29*2.6 semi slick.
    Ideal is something that Mica rack, https://micacycles.com/products/rack-pre-order but longer vertical supports and can attach thru my rear quick release (yes. older frame that uses a QR)

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Looking for rack advice.
    Basic rear rack, that is light weight and only needs to support 15pounds in a dry bag and no side panniers. Bonus points for the water bottle cage mounts on the vertical. Its going on a large moots YBB, tires ususully 29*2.6 semi slick.
    Ideal is something that Mica rack, https://micacycles.com/products/rack-pre-order but longer vertical supports and can attach thru my rear quick release (yes. older frame that uses a QR)
    Old Man Mountain Elkhorn works with QR.

Tumbleweek T-Rack is more minimal but you will need P clips on your seat stays if you don't have bosses.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    congrats Basinbeater, sounds like a good type 2 fun event.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    congrats Basinbeater, sounds like a good type 2 fun event.
    Sorry, I missed this. Way to go bb.

still feeling the glow despite the legs feeling slow.

Question is, would I do it again?

I don't know. That last slog of 10 miles of shit road was brutal. Maybe I'll try another one.

Interestingly, if I had not met these other 2 dudes from Truckee and ridden with them most of the way, I never would have made it. I can't believe how important it is to know other riders are suffering in a similar manner and they are going to make it. If they can, and they feel like I do, then I can too. The drafting and taking turns along the flats helped immensely too. All in all a good experience and an achieved stretch goal.

What's next?!

Edit, chaka, now I know the fun scale.
    Last edited by basinbeater; 06-23-2024 at 08:43 PM.
    sigless.

Nice work bb! One thing if you go back, knowing the route is a huge advantage. Things that seemed horrible while you're in it may not seem as bad the next time when you know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    On a gravel bike with lower tire pressures, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between carbon and al bars. Plus you'll prob wreck it sooner or later, and then you'll have to worry about the integrity of the carbon bar.
    Is the integrity of carbon after a crash an issue? I’ve always heard it was, but I feel like that’s info that I read/heard decades ago. Has there been change in design to improve integrity of carbon frames or components.

Seems like it’s being talked about as an issue more in the last couple years, but in my extensive crash testing program, my carbon bars on my old Blur have taking extreme beat downs and no sign of failure to them. I’ve broken a couple of seat posts in crashes but not the carbon, the glue connecting the seat stay came loose. No signs of any failures on my carbon bike either and it’s seen it’s share of Ah Fuk too. YMMV

Jinx anti Jinx

Last tour divide thread I found was pretty old but I didn't use Dannos search tutorial...

I was dirt road driving/camping/fishing and looped back to dillon MT from Alder and ran into 3 bikers on blacktail rd near Lima turnoff that looked liked like TD racers. One dude was def in the pain cave. They have a live tracker right? Hope they didn't get caught in the nasty hail storm I went through, those roads turn to fucking gumbo.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

https://trackleaders.com/tourdivide24f.php

Winner was this morning, besting the old record by approx 23hrs. Lots of people still out there.

Ok boys and girls...old man hitting the trail and pretending to be young. Initials are TA from Missoula.

First goal is to finish, 2nd goal is to beat my buddies time by 1min.

https://trackleaders.com/bcepic24f.php
    Last edited by Iowagriz; 06-29-2024 at 05:22 AM.

Dayyyyyyum. Get some!
    sigless.

Contender for nicest day of the year yesterday, after work ride in SoVT.
    National Forest roads are prime gravel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1719660345.657833.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	495676
    crab in my shoe mouth