Check Out Our Shop
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2574
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the medio. You won't regret it if you can train up to the GFL long course. Swakane canyon climb is beautiful and the subsequent eagle creek descent is the most fun I've ever had on a gravel bike.
    I'm a roadie, and just starting to develop the confidence to let the bike run on a chunky downhill... smiling every time I think about the Leavenworth downhill. I can see getting hooked on that feeling.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    FKNA, nice! I agree the weather was perfect. I wimped out and did the short course, so I skipped the 2nd climb, kind of a good thing because I was pretty gassed by the end of the first climb.

I had no idea what to expect from the event. I've been doing training rides on mainly dirt roads with a bunch of short sharp rollers in the Palouse and killing myself to average 10 mph. Looking at finishing times for last year, my goal for Leavenworth was "stay out of the bottom quartile," but I wound up in the top quartile. Probably could have picked up a few more places if I had been speedier at the feeding station, but I'll know for next time.

How was the long course? From some of the bikes I saw around town the day before, I had the sense the competition was going to be pretty fierce.
    Long course was great. I sucked as expected on the loonnggg descents. Got stuck out solo on the first windy road section which drained me a bit more than I had hoped before the Swakane climb. Pinned it the last 15 or so miles when I did the math and realized I had a chance at beating my sub six goal. Snuck in with less than a minute to spare.

If anyone's looking, I'm selling:

Spinergy GX 700c wheelset. 12x142. Shimano HG. $200 + ship. Great shape, just been sitting in my garage the past couple years.

Easton EC90 ALX Carbon handlebars 44cm. $175 + ship. Been used less than a year, I just switched to the same bars in 40cm.

Shoot me a PM and I can text/email photos.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Long course was great. I sucked as expected on the loonnggg descents. Got stuck out solo on the first windy road section which drained me a bit more than I had hoped before the Swakane climb. Pinned it the last 15 or so miles when I did the math and realized I had a chance at beating my sub six goal. Snuck in with less than a minute to spare.
    Congrats! Super satisfying to sprint for your goal time and make it.

I got stuck behind some guy and his wife (daughter?) on the descent and was kind of irritated, but then we hit the flats and that guy towed me 8 miles on pavement at 27 mph -- I felt slightly bad for wheel sucking, but not so bad I tried to take a turn up front ?

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Congrats! Super satisfying to sprint for your goal time and make it.

I got stuck behind some guy and his wife (daughter?) on the descent and was kind of irritated, but then we hit the flats and that guy towed me 8 miles on pavement at 27 mph -- I felt slightly bad for wheel sucking, but not so bad I tried to take a turn up front ?
    Chupar rueda!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Lachlan wins Unbound on a 75 mile breakaway with Chad Haga. They held a large group of chasers at two minutes most of the way and Lachlan won the sprint. Fucking legend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

He deserved that win. New course record, too. FKNA!

Both men’s and women’s races were excellent. Lachy and Haga’s break and then 9 women sprinting after 200 miles. Absolutely wild.
    The phone camera livefeed was surprisingly compelling, although I missed most of the women’s sprint!

Upper Valley local legend, 50 year old Mike Barton wins the amateur 200 with a time of 10:07 sick! Another Upper Valley legend, Sarah Lange was 10th in the women’s elite! Go New Hampshire!
    crab in my shoe mouth

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Haha, awesome:

These Guys Finished the 200 Mile Unbound Gravel on Beach Cruisers from Walmart

https://velo.outsideonline.com/grave...-from-walmart/
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

If you find yourself around the Trossachs and need a tour guide or a shower and place to dry out hit me up. We're in Aberfoyle, happy to put fellow bike travellers up for a night or 2

I'm impressed with the level of production they put into this summary coverage of Unbound 200:

Maybe the commentary and cuts to backstory footage could be improved a bit, but the quality of filming and coverage is pretty dang high.

They should just show the race, I don’t care about athlete profiles. I found it to be tedious and boring.
    crab in my shoe mouth

The Lifetime series is weird with their marketing. Little to no information on the days of races. You get more information out of velo news, etc., then from them. My fandom of a couple riders in that series has made me realize how tied to real time, pinkbike type updates, I have become.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    They should just show the race, I don’t care about athlete profiles. I found it to be tedious and boring.
    Yeah, I made judicious use of the fast forward button.

But the amount and quality of camera work really surprised me. Guess I never thought I'd see a gravel race using full on helicopter coverage.

I’m spoiled by the World Tour coverage, I guess, but I was disappointed not to see Lachlan’s move or discussion of the disfunction in the chase group that allowed him stay away.

They should just have, Lanterne Rouge do it for them, that guy can really sum-up a race.
    crab in my shoe mouth

tour divide starts friday in banff.

If anyone needs a hand, I'm a mechanic in town, and can usually answer questions about banff, the event, where to get the best beer/pizza and other stuff.

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Fresh rubber in the Spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	494763

Name:	IMG_2009.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	817.9 KB 
ID:	494795

Name:	IMG_2015.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	801.0 KB 
ID:	494796

Nice 20 miles through the cool Maine forest after the rain.
    Sublime

When I built up my Factor LS gravel rig I wanted to go Shimano 12 speed Di2 ecosystem because of other 12s di2 bikes in my fleet.
    When I built it last winter 12s GRX mechanical had already introduced, but no 12s GRX Di2 yet, so I built it up with DuraAce 12s Di2.
    The plans was this bike could double as a road bike and gravel bike with appropriate wheel sets built for each discipline. And I figured that when 12s GRX Di2 finally got introduced, I could upgrade to appropriate gearing/parts.
    The Factor had DuraAce 50-34 crank matched to a 11-34 cassette. I knew I'd be under geared for a lot of the Colorado gravel climbs, so I was really hoping 12s GRX Di2 would come up with something that could transform the bike into appropriate gravel gearing.
    I was disappointed last month when they released a lame 2x only GRX di2 option, so I had to search for another solution for lower gearing.

The 12s GRX crank would require a GRX front derailleur, and the 12 speed 11-36 cassette is below 105/deore grade. It's a boat anchor and it does not have Hypeerglide+ shift ramps. The new GRX offerings had zero viable solutions
    The other option I found was AbsoluteBlack subcompact oval rings. They have 46/30 11 speed rings that fit an 11 speed Shimano crank. I ordered these to give them a try.
    I mounted the rings on an old 11 speed 9000 DuraAce crank, and kept my 9200 left side power meter. Unfortunately these rings don't work/fit on new 12 speed Shimano cranks, I knew this ahead of time, and thought I might be able to modify them to work on a 12s crank, but it was not possible.
    The DuraAce front derailleur was able to be lowered enough on the Factor's braze on mount to set the correct spacing above the new rings. I was originally concerned this would be an issue, but the braze on was low enough.
    What I quickly learned was that the chain line on the new Shimano 12 speed road cranks is 44.5mm and older 11 speed cranks are 43.5mm. So the 12 speed derailleur would not adjust inward enough for the 11 speed crank and rings. I had to shim the crank outwards by 1.25mm in order to get the FD adjusted properly.
    With some trial and error I was finally able to get the FD adjusted to cleanly shift on the new rings.
    Today I took it on a shake down ride and it performed flawlessly on the steep 15% grades and on the rough descents.

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	727.3 KB 
ID:	494800

Name:	IMG_6327.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	494801

Name:	IMG_3039.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	894.1 KB 
ID:	494804

Here is how the Subcompact Ovals look on the 9000 cranks:

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	494802

I'm looking for an 11 speed 11-36 cassette compatible with Shimano GRX 810. Doesn't look like Shimano, Sunrace or IRD make one. Anyone know if this exists?
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    I'm looking for an 11 speed 11-36 cassette compatible with Shimano GRX 810. Doesn't look like Shimano, Sunrace or IRD make one. Anyone know if this exists?
    Sram PG-1130 or PG-1170 are both offered in 11-36 with a HG Road freehub. 11 speed is cross compatible with Shimano in chain compatibility. As long as your freehub is 11 speed width (36.75mm) these will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Sram PG-1130 or PG-1170 are both offered in 11-36 with a HG Road freehub. 11 speed is cross compatible with Shimano in chain compatibility. As long as your freehub is 11 speed width (36.75mm) these will work.
    Awesome, thanks for the info DH!
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.