Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A lot of people like the protest in Japan. I’m considering it with cast.

I don’t think I’ll remount my renegades. Too much bs for what is already a perfect storm day ski.

Still considering a Mindbender 108ti as I skied it know it rips on firm. But that new wren 108ti might be a better option. Definitely heavy with CAST but Hakuba tours are short. Generally.

Now— Wren or Billy Goat feels like the debate. RES is super intriguing but I also like carving.
    I have skied 186 BGs for 4 years. 5 days on 189 108 Wrens this year (softer fiberglass, not really sure if it matters much).

If you plan to keep Rens and only want to buy one additional ski, Wren108. Or Woodman108. The Wren skis soft snow very well. I'd say as well or better than 193 EHPs, while being a lot more fun in other conditions. They are however not the ultimate crud/soft bump ski. There is a lot of tip rocker, and they climb over more than slice through.

If you buy two skis. BGs and one of the 96 wren/woodmans.

Obviously a lot of good skis outside of the on3p-bubble. Maybe 107 MSRs?

Brought multiple skis to Japan and just ended up using my Nocta's (mounted with Shifts) the entire time. But if I lived there I'd want a dedicated touring setup for sure.

Disregarding Japan needs, I have been thinking a lot about ratcheting down to a smaller quiver as this year winds down. My 3 would be; 189 asym BGs & pivots - ‘19 Corvus 188 w/ Shifts - Kastle FX95 HP w/ pivots.
    3 skis sounds like a fantasy though and the money has been spent.

I like a 4 ski quiver, if one pair being rock skis.
    My rock skis are 2d year Cochise.
    I just re-did my 3 skis:
    Enforcer 93 with Dukes (bulletproof and light tours)
    MX98 with P14 (just about everything up to 8" fresh)
    Rustler 11 P14. (deeper than 8" fresh)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Brought multiple skis to Japan and just ended up using my Nocta's (mounted with Shifts) the entire time. But if I lived there I'd want a dedicated touring setup for sure.
    How'd you go size wise? 185 or 190?

My incoming 3 ski quiver: Rustler 11, Atris and one of the new Fischer Rangers (99Ti, 102Fr or 94Fr). All with inserts for Shift and Tecton

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    How'd you go size wise? 185 or 190?

My incoming 3 ski quiver: Rustler 11, Atris and one of the new Fischer Rangers (99Ti, 102Fr or 94Fr). All with inserts for Shift and Tecton
    I used to have the 185 and upgraded to the 190.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    I have skied 186 BGs for 4 years. 5 days on 189 108 Wrens this year (softer fiberglass, not really sure if it matters much).

If you plan to keep Rens and only want to buy one additional ski, Wren108. Or Woodman108. The Wren skis soft snow very well. I'd say as well or better than 193 EHPs, while being a lot more fun in other conditions. They are however not the ultimate crud/soft bump ski. There is a lot of tip rocker, and they climb over more than slice through.

If you buy two skis. BGs and one of the 96 wren/woodmans.

Obviously a lot of good skis outside of the on3p-bubble. Maybe 107 MSRs?
    Thanks for the insight. I'll be keeping the Rens as my storm day ski. A Wren 108ti is very intriguing as a single do-it-all, but that rocker profile just looks too big. I'd rather have two other pairs. A firm snow/crud arcing machine and a dedicated touring ski. Basically, the Billy Goat is out. The M5 is still on my radar for the resort slot.

Kinda thinking--
    -My Renegade for storm days.
    -M5 + CAST for all mountain and melt/freeze short side country.
    -Something 110ish with traditional camber & mild tip/tail rocker + CAST or Tecton for mid winter touring. Maybe even a Raven or a Hoji as I love my Renegade/reverse camber in soft snow. I just get sketched out traversing reverse camber on icy entrances above major faces. Actually, I hate that. Hence-- the desire for traditional camber underfoot.

What's the ~110mm ski with 2mm of camber and mellow tip/tail rocker? No metal needed. Fuck, no carbon needed either.

Oh---
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    You want a 188 Prior Husume.

Rebuilding the 3+ ski quiver.

Praxis MVP are pretty close to what you are describing. ~110mm wide and a smidge of camber

Edited cause I put the wrong praxis ski in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by skibrd; 04-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.

I still think the Husume is exactly what you want, it floats really good for 109mm, has deep rocker lines but not a lot of splay and is stiff and supportive. The prior glass layup is up there with on3p in dampness and stability.. Canadian dollar is in the shitter too so they ain’t that expensive.

they are a bit wider than your 110mm preference/requirement, but Blizzard Rustler 11s in 188 might be a good option as well. I have been really pleasantly surprised by my 180s - they really do a lot of stuff well.

A M5 - R11 - Ren - Nocta - setup is a killer setup imo, even if that is four skis and not three

What's the ~110mm ski with 2mm of camber and mellow tip/tail rocker? No metal needed. Fuck, no carbon needed either

that new black crows ferox ?

Thanks for the insight. I'll be keeping the Rens as my storm day ski. A Wren 108ti is very intriguing as a single do-it-all, but that rocker profile just looks too big. I'd rather have two other pairs. A firm snow/crud arcing machine and a dedicated touring ski. Basically, the Billy Goat is out. The M5 is still on my radar for the resort slot.

Kinda thinking--
    -Something 110ish with traditional camber & mild tip/tail rocker + CAST or Tecton for mid winter touring. Maybe even a Raven or a Hoji as I love my Renegade/reverse camber in soft snow. I just get sketched out traversing reverse camber on icy entrances above major faces. Actually, I hate that. Hence-- the desire for traditional camber underfoot.

What's the ~110mm ski with 2mm of camber and mellow tip/tail rocker? No metal needed. Fuck, no carbon needed either.

Oh---
    That's a Praxis MVP!

Truly, if you're after super versatile ski, and don't need the metal (and you shouldn't, I think, for Hakuba), then it's the perfect choice. Long mellow rocker tip and tail, 2mm of camber. 110mm underfoot, 2000gr, nice long radius.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 04-23-2019 at 09:44 PM.

My short list of current model chargie skis under 100mm also include kastle fx95hp and prior patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    That's a Praxis MVP!

Truely, if you're after super versatile ski, and don't need the metal (and you shouldn't, I think, for Hakuba), then it's the perfect choice. Long mellow rocker tip and tail, 2mm of camber. 110mm underfoot, 2000gr, nice long radius.
    I typed in the wrong ski, get the MVP, it’s awesome

protest/mvp-gpo-rx/yeti

mid fat chosen to taste. I'll probably be adding the middle one in the next 2 years or so but protest/yeti has been doing outstanding as a two ski quiver.

Another MVP vote. I also have and enjoy Rens/EHPs/Hojis

I agree with keeping a M5 class ski in there. Personally I hate riding skis that are too fat for conditions, and would way rather be caught with a 96 underfoot ski in 6 inches than a 108 on boilerplate. The deathwish with its triple camber might give you some of the ren/hoji surfiness while being quite a bit better on those sketchy traverses. They have more tip/tail rocker than some of the skis mentioned, but less tip splay/rocker than a wren 96 fwiw. They are also decently light for the 50/50 use you describe. As a super versatile ~110mm ski they shouldn't be overlooked.

I’m thinking this would be for me at a 3 ski Japan quiver:

1) Blizzard Brahma w/ Pivots

2) Armada ARV JJ 116 tour version w/ Kingpins

3) Praxis Protest or 2019/2020 Armada ARV JJ 116 w/ CAST

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    protest/mvp-gpo-rx/yeti

mid fat chosen to taste. I'll probably be adding the middle one in the next 2 years or so but protest/yeti has been doing outstanding as a two ski quiver.
    Yup. Though i'd say

protest / gpo or bibby / wildcat 108

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Yup. Though i'd say

protest / gpo or bibby / wildcat 108
    Too much overlap for me but ymmv. I'm super stoked to have something in the mid 90s back in the rotation and don't think 108 - 128 is a big enough spread.

Kinda thinking a Mantra 102/CAST as a do-everything to compliment my Renegade/STH for storm days.

Call it a 2-ski quiver until I either hit conditions too firm that piss me off, or develop a hatred for touring on the Mantra 102. That is heavy, but my tours will be short and limited. And, I don't really hang out on firm groomers anyway.

The 102 can't be that much worse than an M5 on those 3 firm days a year... and I'm sure it would be better in crud and variable the other 20 days a year.

Maybe take a year and apply a bit more strategy to my touring rig. Let's face it, no matter what I choose for that niche, it'll be the rookie choice as I'm just moving to that vicinity.

Kinda thinking a Mantra 102/CAST as a do-everything to compliment my Renegade/STH for storm days.

Call it a 2-ski quiver until I either hit conditions too firm that piss me off, or develop a hatred for touring on the Mantra 102. That is heavy, but my tours will be short and limited. And, I don't really hang out on firm groomers anyway.

The 102 can't be that much worse than an M5 on those 3 firm days a year... and I'm sure it would be better in crud and variable the other 20 days a year.

Maybe take a year and apply a bit more strategy to my touring rig. Let's face it, no matter what I choose for that niche, it'll be the rookie choice as I'm just moving to that vicinity.
    I’ve been enjoying touring on the QST 99. Might be an option if you are looking for stability yet to lose some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’ve been enjoying touring on the QST 99. Might be an option if you are looking for stability yet to lose some weight.
    They look good...also consider the Ranger 102 FR. I reckon that would kill it as a firmer/spring ski in Hakuba.

Gaijin, what do you end up doing?

I have a couple of days on the Fischer 102fr now (with P18s). Chalky 'NZ variable' conditions, and they were actually very good. Skied those and my Dynastar Pro Riders, and while the Pro Riders were of course much more damp and missile-like, the 102fr held their own. A good little test for them.

They felt lively and light under my feet, but still allowed me to ski fast and with big turns. Not teeth-rattling by any means.

More next week.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 08-14-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Kinda thinking--

Oh---
    "No metal needed. Fuck, no carbon needed either"

Maybe Volkl 100eight, subtle reverse camber, less taper possibly won't be as sketch.