Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sweet Jesus, Sam just rode 4:32 in the Sundance DH.

Holy crap! He's not far off me!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Turns out they reported his time wrong at first. Official time ended up at 4:51, which is still pretty impressive.

Winner of the 9-12 group rode 4:06 and two others rode sub-4:20. Sam's 4:51 was good enough for 7th in the class. Nuts.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.

PicsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190601_121346905_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	284592Name:  IMG_20190602_115551149_HDR.jpeg
Views: 959
Size:  115.2 KB

Time to retire.

Revolution Enduro at Granby Ranch this weekend. Course maps released today... for a place known for being really burly there sure are a lot of green circles on the course. Should be interesting.

good stuff gang
    we haven't raced in a few yrs. it would be fun to get back on the circuit. that's where we met so many awesome maggots back in the day

Sam is awesome!

Sundance is such a fun course and area too. For those that haven't ventured up there prior I suggest checking it out- it's a beautiful little valley

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ended up 9th out of 12. Made a change to my stack height and didn't test it out before the race; turns out, that makes a pretty big difference in how the front end behaves.
    the first rule of racing is never change up your program on race day
    but good job and you'll get faster and move up just by getting overall race experience. your program gets tighter and the nerves loosen up
    my racing mantras are: Look ahead/ brake early.
    husband suggested this and I do what he tells me in these depts
    skid luxury

Welp, the weather held up great and I raced the Saturday Super-D and the Sunday DH at Sundance. Managed to sneak onto the podium Saturday in 3rd behind Chris Canfield, and local Gravity Coach Mark K. Pretty good company on the steps for Cat. 1 40-49. I've actually slowed down quite a bit and Mark matched my PR on the course from five years ago, putting about ten seconds on my time from this weekend. Canfield was another 15 out in front of him with a mid-pack Pro time, on a sexy looking Carbon main-frame prototype! At least my time would have put me on the top step in Cat. 1 30-39, and also third in Cat. 1 20-29.

Sunday's DH was a different story for me, ended up ninth out of nine, LOL! Our Cat was stacked with former Pros and lifetime gravity racers. Again Canfield took the top spot followed by local fast guy/wrench/former Pro Noah B. three seconds back, and local Legend and Go-Ride Draper manager Krispy another three seconds behind him. On his trail bike no less, same one I raced. Meanwhile I was 20 seconds back from there. Canfield's time would have been good enough for the top spot against the Cat. 1 30s, and Cat.1 20s, but not the Pro podium. Fastest time of the day was put down in Cat. 1 13-18 by Julian Markewitz though, I think he's only 13! Holy shit!

Man, DH is scary fast, and just plain scary these days! I just don't have the balls anymore, or the skill to be competitive with these guys.

Overall, really fun weekend of racing the Utah Gravity Series on primo dirt! Good to see Particle still mixin it up and awesome showing by Sam D on a borrowed bike, congrats Dantheman!

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Fastest time of the day was put down in Cat. 1 13-18 by Julian Markewitz though, I think he's only 13! Holy shit!
    His FIS page says he was born 2003, so 16 or turning 16 sometime this year. Still totally nuts though. It's not like he just barely squeaked into that top spot, either. Posted results show him ahead of the next fastest time (Pro Men winner) by almost 4 seconds (http://utahdh.org/sundance_showdown_...ll_results.pdf). That's just scary.

Insane!

First wed night xc race was last night. I needed a little more rest going into it but can't complain too much. Despite not feeling 100% I set a PR up the first ~3min of the climb while thinking I was taking it easy to avoid blowing up like I did last week at the "mullet" race. Ivan, the 16 year old, set the pace and was alone off the front before the end of the 1st lap. I found myself in 5th early on and stayed there, although just barely. Phil, a teammate and my descending partner last week, was 20s back at the end of lap 1, then 15s back after lap 2. For lap 3 (of 3), I managed to keep that gap, even on the descent. I'm still not quite sure how, that was a PR for me on by almost 20s over 3 min, and Phil is generally a lot faster on the downhill and has a more capable bike and knobbier tires. So overall I wished I could have been a little closer to the next couple of guys, but that was still the fastest I've done 3 laps of the full XC course and I am really happy with how I rode the downhill, especially with my flimsy Kenda Sabers.

The Missoula Pro XC is also happening this weekend, and is now a 4 day stage race. Today was the marathon out at the private lolo trails, I caught the end, Keegan Swenson and Chloe Woodruff both won pretty easily. Tomorrow's an uphill ITT on the mullet course, so we'll all get to see how slow we are, then regualar XC Saturday and short track Sunday. For the amateurs, there's the homesteader 6 hour race Saturday morning. I'm really on the fence about doing that one. I'd like to, but really need to take a few days of rest if I want to actually feel good for Spirit bear /state champs next weekend.
    Last edited by jamal; 06-08-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Got my one gravel race of the season out of the way Saturday. Did the Angry Horse 82 miler. Went into it totally unprepared, with my only goal as finishing haha. Spent a grand total of 50 miles on the drop bar bike preparing for it, so I had no idea how it was going to go, especially since I haven't ridden over 60 miles in one go in about a year.

The course was rad, highly recommend it. Super pretty, interesting terrain, pretty easy 80 miles in my opinion. Didn't get anywhere near placing, but also didn't blow up at all (a first in gravel racing for me) and kept up with the lady. (She put 7 minutes on me in every single race we did last year, so it felt good to pull her through the finish line.)

Saturday is the Ogre adventure race, combo of mountain bike and trekking on a blind course. Probably going to be a lot of snowy hike-a-bike.

Any Teton folks doing the Caribou Jack in September? Think I'll be registering. Sounds like a great time on rad, chunky new trails. Really, the ony kind of racing I care about!

Yo Cy wassup! I'll do the Cariboo Jack, but just for fun.

And I am signed up for one lap at Pierres Hole again. 3rd year, and the year I am actually training for it. See last year's deal: https://www.tetonvalleynews.net/spor...8d0fa80f2.html

Other than that, keeping the rubber side down is primary goal for the summer!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    North American Enduro Cup yesterday was a blast. Huge day over six stages. Absolute gnar fest, especially the new raw expert/pro only 3rd and 4th stages. Like basketball sized boulders chasing you down scree fields type 2 shit. 27th in expert 30-39. My goal was top 20, so not super stoked. I pre-rode everything on Friday (minus one big transfer) and I think that wiped me too much for race day. Only felt up to speed a couple times all day. Started to bonk on the last hell transfer before stage 6. That place where you eat everything you have left and then start looking for pieces of cardboard to chew on. Like woozy on the bike before the longest stage of the day (3400' full pull top to bottom).

Silver Mountain fucks, yo.

Psyched to see this thread taking off! Nice work errybody.

I forgot to post about the Revolution Enduro at Granby two weeks ago. I ended up solidly midpack at 38th of 64. Given that my goal was to not crash and not finish DFL, I was very stoked about how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    His FIS page says he was born 2003, so 16 or turning 16 sometime this year. Still totally nuts though. It's not like he just barely squeaked into that top spot, either. Posted results show him ahead of the next fastest time (Pro Men winner) by almost 4 seconds (http://utahdh.org/sundance_showdown_...ll_results.pdf). That's just scary.
    You guys know who is dad is: the legendary ski photo guy of course? Cool to see his son do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    North American Enduro Cup yesterday was a blast. Huge day over six stages. Absolute gnar fest, especially the new raw expert/pro only 3rd and 4th stages. Like basketball sized boulders chasing you down scree fields type 2 shit. 27th in expert 30-39. My goal was top 20, so not super stoked. I pre-rode everything on Friday (minus one big transfer) and I think that wiped me too much for race day. Only felt up to speed a couple times all day. Started to bonk on the last hell transfer before stage 6. That place where you eat everything you have left and then start looking for pieces of cardboard to chew on. Like woozy on the bike before the longest stage of the day (3400' full pull top to bottom).

Silver Mountain fucks, yo.
    Nice. Had a couple friends there that put in good results. Was hoping to get over there, at least just to ride, but moving into a new house kept me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You guys know who is dad is: the legendary ski photo guy of course? Cool to see his son do well.
    Very aware of who's progeny he is. Makes it extra cool for sure.

Two more xc races for me in the last week. Round 2 of our wednesday night series, which was hot and miserable, and then spirit bear in Kalispell Sunday. Pretty competitive group out there and at the start line I was wondering what I was doing in that field and how I wasn't going to get last. The race was also longer than last year- 26mi, nearly 4k feet of climbing, and taking over two hours.

That had me hesitant to go too hard at the start and I was near the back, but I found myself with couple of the fast local guys and moving up a few spots on lap 1. Near the top of the 2nd (and longest) climb, Matt decided to go a little faster, splitting up the little group we had. I didn't really know where we were going and stuck with not blowing myself up, had a good 2nd lap, but probably should have tried a little harder to stick with some wheels on lap 1. A few more calories and more water would have been nice too, I went through 2 bottles and had 3 gels, but should have taken a bottle every lap, had some calories in 1-2 of them, and had a pack of shot blocks or something too. I did generally feel ok to the end but lap 3 was slower than I expected and just getting off the bike had me on the verge of cramping. 9th in P/1/open which isn't bad, and I'm not really satisfied with my current level of fitness.

One thing I have been happy about lately is my downhill riding. Despite my flimsy quasi-slicks I've been setting PRs on our local XC course and was faster and more consistent yesterday than last year. Previously I've found myself losing pretty big chunks of time on descents in races and now I'm a lot closer to the fastest guys. On the other hand, we're still talking about mostly XC racers here.

Oh, and Ivan got 2nd overall, but the winner was from out of state, making him state champion. And he's 16.
    Last edited by jamal; 06-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Gnar report from Silver Mtn. The phrase "gnarliest enduro ever" was heard a few times throughout the weekend. So fun.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2019-n...ce-report.html

Not a racer but was out checking the new riding options and saw the pburg46 is going on next weekend. Cut out some downfall on way to black pine TH. Seems like a fun shuttle from willow ck back to pburg. Anyone ride any of the course? I know there's a bunch of 2 track DH.

Yeah I raced it last year and will probably do again but haven't signed up yet. The black pine ridge trail was pretty cool from what I remember but I was not really paying much attention to the scenery. Toward the end there are some, like, wide chutes of loose rock but the trail itself is mostly all singletrack. Biggest downside of the race is all the road before and after. Still feel like my fitness is a touch off where it was last year so I'm not looking forward to that road climb. Basically made it to the singletrack with the lead group last year, not so confident that will happen again.

I think the garmin shorted me on elevation- it tends to do that when it gets wet and muddy. A few guys had over 6k feet. In any case it's a long ass way up that road to the trail. And it's longer than 46 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1672488393/
    Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Speaking of, raced that yesterday and now is probably the best time to ride it as it's all clear. If I was just going up there I'm not sure how I would do it. Maybe an out and back from the south side? I don't know what it would be like to ride in that direction though. It's pretty rolling but generally gains elevation from north to south, so the ride back would be harder.

As for racing it went pretty well. I stayed in the lead pack up the road climb, attacked near the top and kind of blew up the group of 6, and got into the singletrack first. But my friend Rob stuck with me, got by when I lost the trail and was riding around in the grass, and rode away up the next climb. I didn't think I'd see him again, and was riding scared because there were a lot of good riders behind me. I felt like I was moving at a crawl up any slight rise, pushed my bike a lot, ran out of water, and didn't eat enough. But something like an hour later (trail section took an hour and a half) I catch a glimpse of Rob up ahead. Closed in on some rolling/flat terrain, got by him, then hit another climb. Said nah, pulled off, started walking, and he rode away from me again. Got a water refill at the aid station, had a gel, and headed down the road descent to the finish on main street in town trying to carry as much speed as possible.

Saw some wisps of dust in the air, thinking maybe that's from Rob, which kept me motivated. But then started to get a little cramping, because of the lack of food and water and riding flat out for 3 hours in the heat I suppose. Was worried I was even going to make it to the finish, expected other guys to start catching me at any minute, but got past some flat spots and slight rises and was back to tucking it down the road, letting my flimsy, near-slick tires do their low rolling resistance thing. Then the road widens and you get out into the open and I could see Rob but he was pretty far ahead. Then he was closer. Then my legs were cramping again and I was barely moving and he was farther away. Then I was closing again and the water and scratch and gel I'd had seemed to be helping and I could sort of pedal again. Got up behind him with like a mile to go, just before the turn onto main street, and attacked as hard as I could right past. I guess I did it right because he didn't chase and I rolled in for the win. Pretty shocked about that. Won a bunch of candy.

Some of the other racers had a pretty rough time out there. The first couple of us finished in clear weather but then some pretty bad thunderstorms rolled through. I was at my car changing, putting my bike away, and could see lightning hitting the ridge. People got hailed on, had to bail off the trail for cover, and were out there a long time. I finished in like 3:30, some racers were out there for 7 hours.
    Last edited by jamal; 07-16-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Damn, nice job getting the W! No doubt a stacked field.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Strong work Jamal! Saw them setting up finish line while getting a morning coffee. I was down the road fishing flint when that storm hit and wondered about racers on the ridge as I sat under a bush waiting out the lightning/hail.