Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2019 Maggots Racing on Dirt

This is actually what I thought the other thread was going to be about...

Who's racing their bicycle this year?

My first race is in two weeks... Salida Mountain "Funduro." I'm doing the sport course, mostly because the pro course has more distance and climbing than I feel like doing after a training regimen consisting mainly of 12oz curls. I did pre-ride everything and two of the stages are going to involve way too much pedaling and the other two are going to be super fun.

Otherwise I'm signed up for the BME at Wanker Park and might throw something else in there.

Gonna try to do my first ever non xc race (although I’ve only done a couple of those as is) at the Cinco de Enduro at Bear Creek in PA. It’s all I got available around me.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Racing the Helenduro in Helena at the end of May. Expert class. My fitness feels really good, but Helena is definitely a bit more pedally and I shine the best on chunder, so we will see how destroyed I get by the rest of the field. Probably race at least one other of the Montana Enduro Series events.

First race down... I accomplished my main goal, which was "not last."
    Ended up 9th out of 12. Made a change to my stack height and didn't test it out before the race; turns out, that makes a pretty big difference in how the front end behaves. Crashed super hard like 3 corners into the first stage. Limped through the rest of that one, changed my bars back, rode stages 2 and 3 fairly conservatively, then finally rode well on stage 4 which was by far the most technical and the most downhill.
    Was a good time and learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ended up 9th out of 12. Made a change to my stack height and didn't test it out before the race; turns out, that makes a pretty big difference in how the front end behaves. Crashed super hard like 3 corners into the first stage. Limped through the rest of that one, changed my bars back, rode stages 2 and 3 fairly conservatively, then finally rode well on stage 4 which was by far the most technical and the most downhill.

Hey I wasn’t last either! Pretty proud ha! A nice fair to middling 15:21. Crashed on last stage, not an endo or anything epic just somehow was on my side, fatigued and with my HR jacked it was so hard to get back on line without looking like a gooober. Couple unclips early in the first stage before I had the common sense to jack up my “din”. Either way, fun was had, and yea! Not last! Yea!

Nicely done! Great pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Nicely done! Great pics too.
    Something cool this promoter does - they actually hire a pro photographer to come shoot everybody and provide the pictures for free to competitors. Definitely a nice benefit.

Something cool this promoter does - they actually hire a pro photographer to come shoot everybody and provide the pictures for free to competitors. Definitely a nice benefit.
    That's really cool. I always end up buying photos from races.

A few gravel races this summer and maybe my first xc mtb race this June!

Doing the 80 Mile Angry Horse at the end of the month. May do the Caribou Jack later in the summer.

For some reason I have a way easier time talking myself into doing gravel races than enduros.

10th in expert class last weekend in Helena. Damn good time. Poured like crazy Saturday night, so it was pretty sloppy for race day. I'll take soft and sloppy over moon dust any day though. Heading to NAEC at Silver Mtn next. Looks like an old fashioned Down-duro there. Stoked.

Great pics! Nice to have those, great results as well.

Pierre's Hole 50k always gets me motivated to up my fitness this time of year. Not last is a goal.

Riding the Angry Horse Gravel 80 miler this weekend. Really did absolutely nothing to train for it, so I guess it'll probably be a lot of snacking and drinking chelada while riding my bike slowly

I race a good amount of XC, plus cross, and a gravel thing or two every year. Last night was the 2nd running of the "Mullet Classic" where one person climbs and then a partner descends the DH course we recently built partially for collegiate nats. There's a business class and a party class. Party class has to drink a beer before crossing the timing mats at the top and bottom. I didn't want to do that after a 30min climb in 80 degree weather. Good thing too because I kind of blew up on the climb, went backward from 3rd to 6th in the 2nd half, overall felt terrible, and had to lay down for awhile at the top. I was still 2rd to the top in business class men and then my teammate kept us there with his dh run. So we got hats

Lot of XC racing planned for the next month. Next week our wed night races start, missoula pro xc is the 6-9th and I'm considering doing the 6hr race for amateurs, then it's spirit bear and state championships in kalispell the weekend after. Last year I got a little 3rd place usac medal at that one and would like to do well again.

I also did a gravel race and a road race this year.

Rad photos adrenalated . Is that the Dakine Hot Laps 5L you're rockin? If so, recommend it?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Rad photos adrenalated . Is that the Dakine Hot Laps 5L you're rockin? If so, recommend it?
    Yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    (snip) Next week our wed night races start....
    Jamal - I'm moving to Missoula mid-June, no shape for any racing, but wouldn't mind checking out the Weds Night races. Where do I find info on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Jamal - I'm moving to Missoula mid-June, no shape for any racing, but wouldn't mind checking out the Weds Night races. Where do I find info on those?
    https://www.mtbmissoula.org/wednesday-night-xc

There are four of them, so every wed in june. Looks like start time is going to be 6:30, there are open, beginner, and 40+ categories, and possibly clydesdale. Week 3 is at blue mountain, the others are all at marshall mountain on variations of the XC course and new trails above it.

Costs $20 to race, and there's free beer, and a food truck of some sort. With the marshall races, that's about the only chance you get to ride lower trails/pro xc course as that is all private property. The 4 new trails we've built over the last few years are all above the course and need to be accessed by a dirt road from lower down marshall road.

Also there's a facebook group for missoula and surrounding area cycling stuff so if you're on there I'd suggest joining it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586490781420592/

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The kiddo is racing SuperD and DH at Sundance this weekend. Stoke from last year: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjnKLz5h_HG/

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The kiddo is racing SuperD and DH at Sundance this weekend. Stoke from last year: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjnKLz5h_HG/
    So am I if it’s not pissing rain or spitting lightning. Yikes! See ya there!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Sweet! Hoping for a Mr. AG sighting as well.

Now that I don't have a newborn for the third season in a row, I'll be back trying not to finish DFL in the Carabassett BCC in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

people ride bikes that don't have engines?