Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me find my next charging ski?

Hey Mags,

Was wondering if you all could help me out. Currently searching for a ski that can rail turns and is great for chop/moguls. These would replace my Kartel 108's in a 191. Love these skis, but I'm finding myself spending less time jibbing and more time charging (ski Kirkwood, China Peak and Mammoth primarily). I love the way my Origin 116's rail turns and ski fast and I cannot get my kartels to do the same as easily (maybe I'm missing something? Have tuned the side edges. Maybe time for a base grind and professional tuning? Idk I'm new to the tuning business).

Or maybe it's the Indian, not the arrow...

Current quiver:
    2012 Moment PB n J 188 with Dukes for touring
    2016 On3p Kartel 108 191 with FKS 120
    2017 Liberty Origin 116 190 with STH2 13

Leaning towards these skis: Liberty Origin 96, Liberty Helix 98. On3p Wrenegade 108, On3p Wrenegade 96 (wish I could see a blister review on these!), Moment Commander 98.

Wouldn't mind a thinner waisted ski, as my Origin 116s cover powder for me! Just want to rail turns, get more pop out of turns and ski everything in between powder days. Would love to keep sporting an American ski as well.

Anything you all can think of? Lemme know! Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

praxis freeride or 9d8 fit this bill. -10 rx might too.

When I lived in CA and skied Mammoth and Kirkwood, my “charging skis” had metal in them...
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If you're ready to earn your man card, Dynastar Pro Rider 105

Blizzard Cochise ..... That Marcus Caston fellow seconds my recommendation.

The new wrenegade108 ti should rail pretty hard - as would a Wrenegade96ti, though I am guessing Woodsman108s might be a better fit with how you ski (assuming you ski more centred). I dunno if ON3P will offer Woodsmans with titanal though. I find that Wrens/ON3Ps in general do great on everything from hard snow through variable to pow, but are not ice killers. The addition of titanal should remedy that

A Wildcat108 should also tick most boxes, and together with for instance Shift bindings you could probably liquidate both the PB&Js and Kartels. Next year's commander 108 (or 98) could give the quiver a similar treatment/downsizing, but like Wrens are a step towards a bit more traditional ski designs than Woodsman or Wildcat108s. http://www.mmntskis.com for next year's graphics, if they are not on their main site yet.

I have yet to try my Wrenegade96s, so can't chime in other than to say that I am starting to have some terrible thoughts of getting ti-versions... W96s hand flex nice and I think they will be considerably more lively than wren88s. The sure are a lot softer anyway. Blister loved the 96s too and I have yet to anybody saying anything negative about them, so so far so good.

Like others I own both the Wren 98 and 108 and absolutley love both skis and dont think you could go wrong with the 96 or 108... I will add that my 108 and 98s have def different personalities...

With that said and the price was just changed back to $599, but the Frnt 99 MSP might be worth a look... They have them only in a 187 but if memory serves me they had them for $499 a week or so ago... A ski with their build quality and metal for $499 is hard to beat...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If you're ready to earn your man card, Dynastar Pro Rider 105
    Yes. This guy knows his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Some absolute legends have visited my thread... Thanks for the comments everyone! I got a lot of thinking to do... Wish I could demo them but I'll have to take your words for it

Buy a pair of used 192 Cochise on the cheap. Get the new metal Wrens when they arrive. Sell the ones you like less while you search for Pro Riders.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Yes. This guy knows his stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thirded.

They're missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    The new wrenegade108 ti should rail pretty hard - as would a Wrenegade96ti, though I am guessing Woodsman108s might be a better fit with how you ski (assuming you ski more centred). I dunno if ON3P will offer Woodsmans with titanal though. I find that Wrens/ON3Ps in general do great on everything from hard snow through variable to pow, but are not ice killers. The addition of titanal should remedy that

A Wildcat108 should also tick most boxes, and together with for instance Shift bindings you could probably liquidate both the PB&Js and Kartels. Next year's commander 108 (or 98) could give the quiver a similar treatment/downsizing, but like Wrens are a step towards a bit more traditional ski designs than Woodsman or Wildcat108s. http://www.mmntskis.com for next year's graphics, if they are not on their main site yet.

I have yet to try my Wrenegade96s, so can't chime in other than to say that I am starting to have some terrible thoughts of getting ti-versions... W96s hand flex nice and I think they will be considerably more lively than wren88s. The sure are a lot softer anyway. Blister loved the 96s too and I have yet to anybody saying anything negative about them, so so far so good.
    Guys, you can't charge in shifts in the resort, unless you want then to last less than a season.

They are still fragile bindings, not Alpine for sure.

Don't buy the marketing hype.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

RIP to everyone who died from their Shifts falling apart this year. What a tragedy it's been.

The Rossignol Soul 7 is the pinnacle of ski design. If that's too much ski for you to handle there is always the Praxis RX.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Guys, you can't charge in shifts in the resort, unless you want then to last less than a season.

They are still fragile bindings, not Alpine for sure.

Don't buy the marketing hype.
    In that entire thread we've seen one broken binding. Now if you want to argue that there are pre-release issues, fine, but there's zero evidence that there are durability concerns so far. For me they've worked exactly as advertised on both of my setups.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    As TahoeJ say, they hold up pretty well for a lot of folks

That being said - with Kartel108 in 191 being what the OP sport (assumtion bigger, heavier guy), a Cast setup would perhaps be the better option in this case. It will still be lighter and way better skiing AND a way better touring than the Guardian setup, as well as being able to absolutely haul going down (full on Pivot toe+heel).

Also, I would perhaps urge the OP from not going full on rage charger, but stopping somewhere in between of the current pretty playful, center driven low tide sticks and a full on rager replacement. That is - get a playfull charger. Woodsman108 or Wildcat 108 (or Woodsman96 or PB&J) should slot in nicely in the quiver in that regard - where the Wrens or Commanders could be better for more traditional or if you want Titanal and/or 96/98mm sticks instead. The assumption here is that the OP want to consolidate the wuiver, and not add a forth ski. Getting a resort specific charger as a forth ski could also be a way to go, but they do make for a less versatile addition in a 2 ski quiver with the Libertys. Point being, I advice the OP to go chargy enough - if you catch my drift/that makes sense

In spite of loving ON3Ps, Wildcat108s with Casts might be the more versatile setup here. I have never tried Biddys/Wildcats/Blister Pros, but it can't be the most hyped ski on TGR (together with BGs perhaps ) for nothing right?

Also, I would not overthink it - just call/chat with ON3P and/or Moment (if you decide that you want to go with either of those brands) and get the info directly from them. Both brands provide pretty stellar / market leading CS and their advice is usually spot on.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 04-19-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Now for something entirely different.

Go skinnier. These will work for everything, but deep pow. Windswept, crud and early morning groomed. No prob.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F311076906288

Sent from my moto e5 plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    The Rossignol Soul 7 is the pinnacle of ski design. If that's too much ski for you to handle there is always the Praxis RX.
    LOL

[QUOTE=kid-kapow;5653799]As TahoeJ say, they hold up pretty well for a lot of folks

That being said - with Kartel108 in 191 being what the OP sport (assumtion bigger, heavier guy), a Cast setup would perhaps be the better option in this case./QUOTE]

Great info, Kid Kapow! I'm actually 6'2" and 165, so not the heaviest dude out there. If that helps out. Just have liked the stability of having longer skis.

I'll give em a call. Thanks for the recommendations. Will help waist time while I search for them dynastars

Head monster 108s.. probably can find a pair at a very rock bashing friendly price, super directional mount but ski from the middle more than I would have expected, just have to be comfortable with some tip out in front of you. No speed limit. And don't mount em with shifts unless you like the feeling of your skis being held on with rubber bands
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Commander 98, thread done

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Commander 98, thread done
    I was going to say maybe the Commander 108 as an option, but I haven’t been on it yet.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Help me find my next charging ski?

I too wanted a skinnier, chargier ski with a further back mount point ( eg -8) and metal in it compared to my more center mounted (eg -5) InThaynes and Nomads. I am skiing Whistler more now (vs Baker in the past) and I am skiing bigger, more open lines versus the poppier, tighter terrain at Baker.

Entertained getting some Head Monsters and older Stockli Stormriders or Legend Pros. Read a shit ton on all of them. Most guys say they are badass. And you start to feel deficient for not skiing them. Also I don’t get the -10 to -12 mount point. Holy fucking huge tip?! But for some reason I couldn’t pull the trigger on any of those. Maybe cause I knew on my best, chargiest day I could ski those, but on lots of days they would ski me. Ego vs reality check and in the end I got some of this year’s 4FRNT MSP 99s....metal inside, -8 mount is perfect, stiffish underfoot and in the tail, yet easy for a athletic mortal (60+ days/year) to ski....and they were a good deal direct from 4FRNT.

I am super happy with them. And they are chargy enough, but not too chargy. Rip groomers and eat crud. Float me in 6” of pow.

I like Moments (have had Bibbys and PBJs). Commander 98 sound good too. Never skied ON3Ps.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-24-2019 at 01:16 PM.

The MSP99s sound like an amazing ski FWIW. I almost bought a pair during 4Frnts sale.

If you're around Whistler and still considering something else, demo some Prior Patrollers from the factory for 25 bucks. 100mm under foot...titanal...They charge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bry; 04-24-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Didn't read your whole post