Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Microsoft ending Windows 7 support

The popup announcement included suggestions for new computers I can buy, making the motive for ending support clear. I guess too many people are hanging on to old computers.
    Fuck you Microsoft.

It's still better than Windows 8.

sent from my Windows XPOS.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

FWIW, they sent out free Win 10 upgrades to all of our Win 7 OS machines a couple years ago. All of them still work fine but are slower than molasses.

^interesting. We're in the process of replacing all of our Win 7 machines...that work perfectly fine for our applications. Micro$oft is such a racket.

I checked and I am still running 7

apparently i got 8 outstanding updates

should I leave well enough alone or get the updates ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can still upgrade to windows 10 for free using the media creation tool from microsoft. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD and adding some memory will usually get the speed back up to normal.

I tried upgrading, nothing but trouble, had to undo. I'm not the only one--the announcement recommends about trying to upgrade. I'll just keep hoping Norton protects me. I see no reason to upgrade an operating system or buy a new laptop when what I have works perfectly well for the old man stuff I use it for. The best laptop I have is my son's discard that he wiped. I managed to find a legal copy of 7, loaded a few drivers, an ancient version of word from a disc I had, and an antivirus. This thing is amazingly fast for an old machine because it doesn't have most of the bullshit that comes with a new computer, just the bare basics.

yeah I did a little searching and some of the updates might be prep to upgrade to windows 10 so I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone, cuz it works pretty well, a refurbished Lenovo V570 my 6th IBM and probably the best of the LT's I have used

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I tried upgrading, nothing but trouble, had to undo. I'm not the only one--the announcement recommends about trying to upgrade. I'll just keep hoping Norton protects me. I see no reason to upgrade an operating system or buy a new laptop when what I have works perfectly well for the old man stuff I use it for. The best laptop I have is my son's discard that he wiped. I managed to find a legal copy of 7, loaded a few drivers, an ancient version of word from a disc I had, and an antivirus. This thing is amazingly fast for an old machine because it doesn't have most of the bullshit that comes with a new computer, just the bare basics.
    What happens next is that the web browsers will also lose ability to receive updates so you'll be using an outdated version of Firefox or Chrome or whatever and your bank and credit card online access will have those out dated browser versions blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What happens next is that the web browsers will also lose ability to receive updates so you'll be using an outdated version of Firefox or Chrome or whatever and your bank and credit card online access will have those out dated browser versions blocked.
    Odd comment? I am using win7 in my business computer for old software compatibility and have no problems updating Firefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Odd comment? I am using win7 in my business computer for old software compatibility and have no problems updating Firefox.
    That's because they haven't shut the door on Win 7 completely yet. Give it a year. Same thing happened with 2000, XP, and Vista

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Yet, Microsoft is supporting Windows 7 with updates and patches through a date in Jan 2020. After that it is just like Windows XP and also Vista are today. No monthly patches and some companies are checking the Operating system when doing updates installs. If it is one of the OS's that Microsoft is not supporting, then they may also drop it and leave the user running the last version of the browser, anti-virus or security software that they did support for the now old software. So any security issues as mentioned for financial or similar transactions could be blocked (Chase checks for browser editions and does not allow old Internet Explorer, or the latest or sometimes the next to latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, etc. to be used for bill paying and banking as one specific example). So while there are plenty of people still to this day running Windows XP and Microsoft did release 1 update for it after it went to no support and patching status- the patch was so important that it was spreading the virus like mad and then they made 1 exception a few years back)... But for the most part if you are doing more than TGR or Facebook type of stuff on a computer no longer running a supported OS by Microsoft you risk infection, or worst banking or credit card data breach....

ok RShea I waste a little time on the webz, do some banking ect

should i update to windows 10 or is it time to think about think about upgrading to the latest greatest box, or ?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    second.

windows 7 is still on my home pc, can't access my chase account online from it anymore because of the browser.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

You can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

yeah microsoft is not recommending the upgrade to windows 10 on older platforms so maybe I will go see my ski bud with the shop about getting me another lenovo refurb, cuz IME 7 or 8 years is pretty good from an LT

Maybe the mobile gig was harder on the gear cuz of all the LT's I used in 5 product cycles none of them ever went the full 3 yr write-down period for a platform without breaking BUT back then I could just call 1-800-send me a working LT, swap the battery/HD/memory and be puting in <24hrs

For $300-$400 you can get an off-lease refurb (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc.) with Windows 10 Pro 64bit, and Intel i5, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. NewEgg is a reliable sourcer.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ok RShea I waste a little time on the webz, do some banking ect

should i update to windows 10 or is it time to think about think about upgrading to the latest greatest box, or ?
    Depends on how old of a system you have. If it is 5 years or so or even newer, has a good CPU (Intel iCore series, 8 GB of memory or more if you do more than 1 thing at a time (not just check email or have a browser open and a few tabs -not 20 or more at a time then maybe could still get away with 4GB) and nice to have a SSD in the system. So let's say you still have a spinning hard drive, and the system seems to be running OK. I'd do the Windows 10 upgrade and a appropriate sized SSD drive upgrade (unless you are a Dentist or other position of not having to worry and budget is of no concern. ) If the device is a low end consumer model that you got at Wally World and not a better business class model also maybe consider getting a new system or a good used business class system with Windows 10 from one of the Outlets as a possible alternative also.

If you do higher end graphics or gaming, then of course you need to do a new AMD Ryzen or higher end Intel iCore 5 or better 7 CPU anyway every few years anyway.

yeah microsoft is not recommending the upgrade to windows 10 on older platforms so maybe I will go see my ski bud with the shop about getting me another lenovo refurb, cuz IME 7 or 8 years is pretty good from an LT

Maybe the mobile gig was harder on the gear cuz of all the LT's I used in 5 product cycles none of them ever went the full 3 yr write-down period for a platform without breaking BUT back then I could just call 1-800-send me a working LT, swap the battery/HD/memory and be puting in <24hrs
    Lot of heat in little, uncleanable spaces in laptops. 7 years is a long time for one that gets used a lot.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If you go windows 10 plan on installing an SSD for the boot drive.

I’ve also bought off lease refurbished for the office. So cheap and plenty fast.
    . . .

It was actualy part of my job to fix my own LT but really they are a depot-fix computer ime/imo SO if you didn't have a bunch of fragile plastic parts, if you didn't work on the same model every day you risk being down and I couldn't be down so calling for a replacement LT made more sense ... whereas you could teach a monkey to fix a desktop

yeah IME a refurb looks like new, comes in the same box all wrapped up the same as a new LT with the same warranty, but they were returned or sft and can't be sold as new

so the end of the world ( as pertaining to windows 7 ) has come and gone the end of support so how come I got a windows 7 update this morning and is windows 10 any better ??

Updated my wife’s 7pro to 10pro last nite. Easy to do but it took about two hours
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

So I got a lenovo with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450MCPU@ 250GHz
    with 6.00 GB of RAM

in the event i were to upgrade to windows 10 have i got enough power to run it ?

or should i just buy a new box ?

or should i just keep running this platform as is ?

So I got a lenovo with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450MCPU@ 250GHz
    with 6.00 GB of RAM

in the event i were to upgrade to windows 10 have i got enough power to run it ?

or should i just buy a new box ?

or should i just keep running this platform as is ?
    Upgrade to 10. Should work fine.