Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MESH View Post
    You can still upgrade to windows 10 for free using the media creation tool from microsoft. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD and adding some memory will usually get the speed back up to normal.
    SSD for the win

You don’t need more than i3 chip and a bit o ram for home use. It’s the damn disk drives.
    Don’t buy anything without solid state drive. Windows 10 is bloated.

If you need storage for files and photos, that can be a spinny drive.

Made about 8 work computers super fast with a $75 ssd drive swap. And it’s pretty damn easy for most computers.
    . . .

There's something like you just tell it you're blind and you get it as a free update. It's like for like so Home versions -> Windows 10 or Pro -> Windows 10 Pro. If you have a 32-bit OS, I don't know, and also how the fuck?
    Also make sure you do your updates like right now because someone found a yuDge exploit in certificate signing and that means they can spoof https sites, VPNs, etc. It has just now been patched.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...ability/?amp=1
    And yes, SSD's ftw.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Mac. /thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Mac. /thread.

An answer to a question that nobody asked.

Ditto what lots of people are saying: If you bought well originally and your machine is still pretty powerful, upgrade to 10, for free. Or, if not, and you're just going to be using your computer to run Photoshop 7 and Leisure Suit Larry, go ahead and keep running 7 or XP or whatever until the end of time.

Or, better yet:
    The computer that you can buy from Costco for $350 isn't exactly top-spec or anything, but I can assure you it's a screaming upgrade from whatever you bought 8 years ago, and it'll run Windows 10 effortlessly. Jesus, I once spent $4000 for a PC; $350 is nothing. Stop whining and get something that's going to run the coming decade's software without choking.

Mac. /thread.
    Ha ha, yes, if you want to spend 3x as much, and then have to unplug from wall power every time you want to hook up a USB external drive, then sure, Mac's an option as well (typing this on a MBP, by the way).

get off my virtual lawn kid, I was fixn hardware when you ^^ were still in diapers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Mac. /thread.
    I don't look good in plaid, i can drive a stick, change my own tire, run a chainsaw ... probably don't qualify for metrosexual worship of the fruit branded computer products
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so the end of the world ( as pertaining to windows 7 ) has come and gone the end of support so how come I got a windows 7 update this morning and is windows 10 any better ??
    Windows 7 ended support on Tuesday (also the monthly patch cycle for MS to release updates to all supported OS's)... There is a major issue with Win 10 and some of the server OS's that NSA reported and is encouraging people to take seriously and do the updates as soon as possible.

With Win XP there was a major issue with an infection that was critical and spreading and they made an exception and released an update after XP when end of life. This was maybe another one since the OS was just end of life, they did the updates after the fact since it was such a short time and a major vulnerability (but not 100% certain of that)..

Mac. /thread.

GTFO
    No longer stuck.

GTFO
    No tits?
    . . .

There's something like you just tell it you're blind and you get it as a free update. It's like for like so Home versions -> Windows 10 or Pro -> Windows 10 Pro. If you have a 32-bit OS, I don't know, and also how the fuck?
    Also make sure you do your updates like right now because someone found a yuDge exploit in certificate signing and that means they can spoof https sites, VPNs, etc. It has just now been patched.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...ability/?amp=1
    And yes, SSD's ftw.
    Stucky- All the Windows 10 free upgrades INCLUDING the adaptive or handicap assistive exception has also ended more than 2 years ago. https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...s-10-upgrades/

But as mentioned by many on here and everywhere on the Internet, the MS activation servers are still working with a valid Windows 7 or 8.x key and allowing the activation. Many think that valid activation means that they have a legal license, and entitled to the OS for free. But Microsoft official stance is the free upgrades ended and a license is needed to be purchased to be legally able to run Win 10. Only a court ruling may clear up the muck that has been out there. Or Microsoft is in fact just continuing to allow the upgrades to continue because they want as many people as possible on Win 10 and off the previous OS's.

There are a few different Microsoft Web sites that are stating you must purchase a license to be legal (and pass any software audit if a business gets hit with one for licensing compliance)... Nobody knows for sure if anytime Microsoft turns a switch off for any machine doing the free Win 10 activation after the 2017 date, but very doubtful they could sort through the ones that have paid with some license vs the others. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373

32 bit versions of Win 10 are available and if you have a 32 bit OS of 7 or 8.x then the only upgrade you can do is the 32 bit WIn 10 (unless you completely wipe the drive and do a brand new 64 bit install (assuming the software you then load up and hardware fully works and supports 64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    There are a few different Microsoft Web sites that are stating you must purchase a license to be legal (and pass any software audit if a business gets hit with one for licensing compliance)... Nobody knows for sure if anytime Microsoft turns a switch off for any machine doing the free Win 10 activation after the 2017 date, but very doubtful they could sort through the ones that have paid with some license vs the others. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373
    Interesting. But really, I wouldn't worry about it, for the typical end-user who's trying to get a few more years out of an already aging PC. If Microsoft, on their own website, facilitated a user upgrade to Win 10, it would be extremely sketchy for them to try to shut it down later, or worse yet, send legal threats. Granted, a company probably wouldn't want to run its IT on that kind of assumption, but hey, if an end-user can get a free upgrade, just go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Stucky- All the Windows 10 free upgrades INCLUDING the adaptive or handicap assistive exception has also ended more than 2 years ago. https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...s-10-upgrades/

But as mentioned by many on here and everywhere on the Internet, the MS activation servers are still working with a valid Windows 7 or 8.x key and allowing the activation. Many think that valid activation means that they have a legal license, and entitled to the OS for free. But Microsoft official stance is the free upgrades ended and a license is needed to be purchased to be legally able to run Win 10. Only a court ruling may clear up the muck that has been out there. Or Microsoft is in fact just continuing to allow the upgrades to continue because they want as many people as possible on Win 10 and off the previous OS's.

32 bit versions of Win 10 are available and if you have a 32 bit OS of 7 or 8.x then the only upgrade you can do is the 32 bit WIn 10 (unless you completely wipe the drive and do a brand new 64 bit install (assuming the software you then load up and hardware fully works and supports 64 bit)
    I checked after the download and I have a license for 10.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Interesting. But really, I wouldn't worry about it, for the typical end-user who's trying to get a few more years out of an already aging PC. If Microsoft, on their own website, facilitated a user upgrade to Win 10, it would be extremely sketchy for them to try to shut it down later, or worse yet, send legal threats. Granted, a company probably wouldn't want to run its IT on that kind of assumption, but hey, if an end-user can get a free upgrade, just go for it.
    I agree that residential or home users with a system or 2 are different than companies with enough systems that they may have an IT staff and an Open License agreement or have a time where they are approached and asked to do a software compliance audit. Just pointing out that it is a gray area and Microsoft claims one thing but seems to be allowing it still and not clarifying the issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I checked after the download and I have a license for 10.
    You got an activation of Windows 10, but where is your proof of purchase- an activation is not the same as a license when it comes to an software audit of licensing compliance. Over the past years there were times where activation would allow various software to run, but then if the same key is used to activate too many different PC's then it gets shut down and the you are not Genuine message comes up after the fact. That has happened on Ebay and some of the really low ball not legitimate software sales too for people purchasing Office or Windows software for way below the market rates.
    Last edited by RShea; 01-20-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Interesting.

Also for the last several years, I believe PC's that came with 7 came with a license that includes an upgrade to 10. At least a lot of business PC's did.

Tits are great, Apple products are overrated and overpriced. And the epitome of planned obsolescence. Other companies copying their design cues activity make my professional life harder so excuse me if I take it personally.

Here, I'll make you a list of things Apple products do better than PC or Android in the year 2020:
    No longer stuck.

Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Linux.
    A less dumb recommendation than Apple...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    A less dumb recommendation than Apple...
    AIX if you really want it to run and run well. . But nobody can afford that for home use.

If you have a 10-year-old Linux box that's 32-bit, I don't think that's being maintained any more either, nor can you download upgraded 32-bit Linux versions past a certain vintage, as far as I'm aware.

There's a good chance your 10yo hardware can run a 64bit Linux distro, so reinstall. The whole 32 vs 64bit BIOS/UEFI thing was a little frustrating, however, there were workarounds. I have the latest Fedora on a box and a laptop, that are around that vintage. To be fair, they might be nine years old, I forget.

Yeah, if you got modern hardware past a certain point there, you should be able to keep upgrading to secure Linux versions for quite some time; I suppose the limiting factor will be when browsers start to demand even more RAM and acceleration than they currently do. But, for people with 32-bit Linux products not a whole lot older than some of the Win 7 machines we're talking about, OS abandonment is very much a thing in their world as well.

I see hydraulic turtles.

Windows 10 was released 5 yrs ago. How long do you expect MS to support a legacy OS, 10 years 20 years 50? Are you running some deprecated version of Firefox too?

I think you got your money's worth on Windows 7.

Tried to run DBAN on my old old windows 7 laptop. Got a "nonfatal error" message (or maybe it was non-critical). The computer still works. Funny thing is my son had run DBAN on it a few years ago before he gave it to me and it worked fine. Looks like it's the maul to the hard drive, unless someone has a suggestion. I don't feel like trying a different eraser.