Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    256

    $2.4 Million in stolen skis/gear from Aspen SkiCo, sold on Ebay

    Wasn't sure where to put this ..

    https://www.aspentimes.com/news/cops-former-city-councilman-stole-2-4-million-from-aspen-skiing-co/


    Long-ish read, but apparently this guy stole demo skis and sold them on ebay, over the span of many years. Former Aspen Council member, Mayoral candidate, and SkiCo employee.

    Sigh.

    Maybe this thread should be posted in 'Gear Swap' ??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    34,612
    Wow

    "According to documents found on Derek Johnson’s computer, the Johnsons have nearly $102,000 in credit card debt and owe more than $294,000 in other debts."


    How the fuck did he not get caught after inventory checks? Unless he was doing them.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Flavor Country
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post


    How the fuck did he not get caught after inventory checks? Unless he was doing them.
    He was, sorta, that's how they finally caught him. They did not have a good system for inventorying the thousands and thousands of pairs of skis at the end of each season so they finally hired someone just for that job a few years ago and she started to notice the missing pairs. The first time Johnson told her not to worry but the second year when she found more she reported it over his head I think. It was a system he started at the ski shop he founded and when he sold the shop to SkiCO he kept running it with their permission to move old inventory. It wound down when he had kids but apparently he restarted it a few years ago but didn't bother to tell SkiCo this time. My favorite part was that they also somehow charged SkiCO almost $60,000 in ski boxes to ship the stolen skis too!
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    45,591
    Living in employee housing, $400K in debt, and scamming hard. I wonder what they spent the money on. Nice couple.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,468
    I'm gonna guess I have had multiple of these skis pass through my hands. There was a longtime ebay seller from Aspen who always had decent high end demos for cheap I steered friends to....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,710
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I wonder what they spent the money on.
    Lunches at the base lodge?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,239
    Those people are dumbasses.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    42,685
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Those people are dumbasses.
    thieves! dumbass is disparaging to the honest stupid.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    thieves! dumbass is disparaging to the honest stupid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,816
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Living in employee housing, $400K in debt, and scamming hard. I wonder what they spent the money on. Nice couple.
    One comment says they have a 100k boat, so that's part of it. Probably just living large on bs stuff. "Nothing with any real equity, so they'll never catch us!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    34,612
    Well, owning a 100k boat while living in Aspen is certainly a definition of a dumbass.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, owning a 100k boat while living in Aspen is certainly a definition of a dumbass.
    Man it's real weird down there. A segment of the valley has this culture of sailboats/winter polo/bottle service/fancy cars/private planes/plastic surgery/etc.

    A different reality, to be sure.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,311
    What a wild story. That's a shitton of skis to steal.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,039
    Wifey looks beat to shit, so I am guessing alot of that money went towards cheap cut up coke and martinis.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Left Field
    Posts
    45,591
    Who, this guy? Yeah he parties.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Living in employee housing, $400K in debt, and scamming hard. I wonder what they spent the money on. Nice couple.

    I think you read that wrong. They own the employee housing, they don’t live there. Or, I guess they might live there but still, they own it.


    On Monday, Johnson’s lawyer said the couple own only their employee-housing unit in Aspen and no other property.”




  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,614
    Interesting question they asked on eBay
    https://community.ebay.com/t5/Sellin...qaq-p/25461559


    sportandskiExplorer

    Options




    Apr 17, 2016 11:54:18 AM

    I have a buyer that I have blocked several times, they keep coming back with different user IDs and the same ship to address. I want to block all bidding from this person. How can I block from a specific ship to address so he will stop bidding on my product? I have lost thousands of dollars because of this person.




    wonder if that buyer was the law firm the ski co hired investigating, or someone else?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I think you read that wrong. They own the employee housing, they don’t live there. Or, I guess they might live there but still, they own it.
    On Monday, Johnson’s lawyer said the couple own only their employee-housing unit in Aspen and no other property.”
    They only own one property, which is the unit the they live, which is an employee-housing unit. (aka a deed restricted property that requires the buyer/owner to work in Aspen, live in the house as their primary residence, and not own another property is a specified area around Aspen)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    765
    Learned something new today.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm gonna guess I have had multiple of these skis pass through my hands. There was a longtime ebay seller from Aspen who always had decent high end demos for cheap I steered friends to....
    My friend who is a rep for a high end ski company called me 3 years ago, asking if i knew who this seller was. I dug around a little but could not figure it out. This rep, eventually called Derick and said to him, "look, these skis are coming from you guys. I can tell by the ski model and demo binding." Derick said maybe they were, but they have a bunch of employees who could not be trusted.

    THese weren't used demo skis, they were in line for the current year. He was ordering demo's (at demo pricing which is usually 25-30% off wholesale) then listing them, as brand new in season skis.

    He has a $100,000 boat up at Reudi as well.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Man it's real weird down there. A segment of the valley has this culture of sailboats/winter polo/bottle service/fancy cars/private planes/plastic surgery/etc.

    A different reality, to be sure.
    You dont know the half of it. You have the wealthiest people in the world who come here, second homes for $18million that see 2 weeks of use a year.
    In the article it says he was making $110k a year. Not nearly enough to support a wife, and three kids. Even living in deed restricted housing (which he will probably lose if convicted) did not lesson the financial pain.
    They sold over $2.4 mill in gear, he should have put that money to good use instead of pissing it away.

    I wonder if the feds will come in and get him for tax evasion as well? He clearly was not declaring that $2.2 mill.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,641
    "He was fired by Skico in the wake of the theft allegations in December, and is currently working as a delivery driver for an Aspen restaurant".
    That don't pay the bills in Aspen.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    He was, sorta, that's how they finally caught him. They did not have a good system for inventorying the thousands and thousands of pairs of skis at the end of each season so they finally hired someone just for that job a few years ago and she started to notice the missing pairs. The first time Johnson told her not to worry but the second year when she found more she reported it over his head I think. It was a system he started at the ski shop he founded and when he sold the shop to SkiCO he kept running it with their permission to move old inventory. It wound down when he had kids but apparently he restarted it a few years ago but didn't bother to tell SkiCo this time. My favorite part was that they also somehow charged SkiCO almost $60,000 in ski boxes to ship the stolen skis too!
    This is what really blows my mind. Having run a number of shops, quarterly inventory is key to your bottom line, and pretty basic. You match up what is in inventory vs what is on hand. When you have major deficits, that raises red flags. I understand he ran the show, but there were people above him who should have been looking at the numbers. When you are short 170 pairs of skis at year end you have a major problem. Shrinkage of that level does not exist in the ski industry. That is theft.

    And didnt the ski co have a firm that would come in and do a year end audit?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    9,956
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    And didnt the ski co have a firm that would come in and do a year end audit?
    why bother, just raise pass and ticket prices to cover the losses.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,239
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    This is what really blows my mind. Having run a number of shops, quarterly inventory is key to your bottom line, and pretty basic. You match up what is in inventory vs what is on hand. When you have major deficits, that raises red flags. I understand he ran the show, but there were people above him who should have been looking at the numbers. When you are short 170 pairs of skis at year end you have a major problem. Shrinkage of that level does not exist in the ski industry. That is theft.

    And didnt the ski co have a firm that would come in and do a year end audit?
    Seems to me, if you're the one running the show, you could simply NOT have any of this shit done. Unless there is some regulation that says you have to have audits for your ski rental shop. Which I suspect there is NOT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •