Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a car

Buying a car

Jumping into the rancid, fetid world of auto dealers. I need a new car. What's the word on doing this by email? Does it work? What's True Car, besides what I suspect is a bullshit way to lure you into a dealer? It, at least, gives you a price point to work with, I guess.

Subscribed. And here I thought it was going to be a slow Tuesday.
    I still call it The Jake.

Did my only new-car purchase through the Costco auto-buying program. Nearly all communication via email with dealer, and none of the car-dealer horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Did my only new-car purchase through the Costco auto-buying program. Nearly all communication via email with dealer, and none of the car-dealer horseshit.

The thing is, I live alone in an apartment, and have no need for giant packages of paper towels, so, no Costco, but, maybe this will be worth it.

Honda HRV. Love that little thing.

You think car dealers are bad, I just totally got bent over by a plumber on re-piping 15 feet of gas line to a water heater and a stove. Fucking $2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

We just purchased a new car. We did the Costco thing to get some pricing then called the biggest dealer in the state and asked if they'd beat it, which they did. The sales process was super easy that way. The financing lady was who tried to up-sell us on extended warranties and service packages.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

My only new car purchase was an Audi a3. Looked at them at one dealer then put in a request for quotes through their website with specs I wanted. A local dealer had a guy who only dealt with internet quotes and wasn't on commission got back to me with a great no haggle price something like $7-8k off list. Only had to battle with the finance manager who was determined to upsell me on gap insurance, maintenance package, protective undercarriage spray, etc. I was happy with the process. Costco sounds good as well though I doubt you'd get an amazing deal there.

Hell, I'd even pay for a 100,000 mile warranty, after a bad experience with my present car. Test drove the Hundyai Kona that got great reviews because of their warranty, and wasn't impressed at all.

We recently went through it twice with Honda/Subaru. Emailed sales departments and haggled on price, both times once we settled on an agreeable price I emailed back and said throw in a set of snow tires and we'll drive down and sign the paperwork. Worked both times.

When we drove down they wouldn't honor the financing rates they quoted us, we had already talked to our respective banks who offered better rates and called them up and handed the phones over and had our banks finance.

Since they lost out on financing the dealers tried to cram all sorts of service packages, gap insurance (we were both already covered by our insurance companies, check yours) etc in without us noticing. We caught it and kicked all that out. They weren't super happy by the end of the transactions but we were.

I did both .. Went in to the dealer then haggled via email - if they know you, and have a face to go with the email it seems more .. genuine? Plus any offers made are documented if they try to add costs later.
    No two trucks are equal, even off the same line, so I had to put my paws on my truck first hand - not just look online.
    It worked out great.

Have you seen new Acura RDX?
    Also with Honda product bag the 100k warranty needs

So you live in an apartment, you don’t do Costco runs. Sounds like you park on the street. Why don’t you just get a tiny small car like a Fiat 500 or one of the small Honda, Toyota’s or Nissans? It sounds like you don’t need all wheel drive, you don’t want a manual transmission. How about a Miata? Need more info.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well he carries around a lot of baggage.

Dude, I ski. Of course I need AWD. Had a Mini about five years ago, my best car deal evah, but, had to accept that that was no ski car.

My two requirements are, AWD, and must fit a bike in the back, lying down. Roof rails, too.

I recently leased a grand Cherokee. I have a friend who is a broker. I called him. Told him what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. 18 hours later, the car arrived in my driveway and I wrote the guy who dropped it off a check. I’ll never buy a car another way again.

Know any brokers? It’s the way to go.

There are brokers around here. Wish I had some word of mouth to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Honda HRV. Love that little thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's a chick car.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Have you seen new Acura RDX?
    Also with Honda product bag the 100k warranty needs
    Our 17' CRV has been nothing but trouble. We had older CRV/Elements before this one. Will probably avoid Honda in the future.

https://www.cars.com/articles/fix-co...1420703180990/

Bought my Saab off of eBay from a dealer on the least coast. Great deal, easy shipping etc. new car. Would do again. But not a Saab.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Yes, well, I suppose that's why everyone is driving around in huge, 60,000 dollar pickup trucks.

Buying a car

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Our 17' CRV has been nothing but trouble. We had older CRV/Elements before this one. Will probably avoid Honda in the future.

https://www.cars.com/articles/fix-co...1420703180990/
    Our mechanic told us to run away from current-model CRVs

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Huh I wonder. Have ‘15 MDX put 65k on and flawless. Only oil. Torque vector awd rips in the snow. Will drive it till wheels fall off

Benny, get a used Honda Crosstour with CPO warranty. Great price and reliable with AWD. In your shoes, that is what I would buy.

In NJ: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

With 172cm skis, you won't need a big car.

Call Stainless and ask about a low mileage Urus.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang