Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a car

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Maybe you should go electric if you can't figure out where to add the oil?
    This is true for most Americans.

Now, be honest here. For those upper middle class twits who hang here, and own low mileage cars and trucks, when was the last time you checked your oil? Honest, I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Joined Costco today. Still a bizarre retail experience. Still have those Arnold Terminator sized 4.99 roasted chickens. Let's see what that 60 bucks does for me. Don't need a new tv. Or an entire case of crappy toxic chips.

The All track is back on my radar.
    The Costco grapefruit cups are awesome.

Now, be honest here. For those upper middle class twits who hang here, and own low mileage cars and trucks, when was the last time you checked your oil? Honest, I said.
    Claiming upper middle class status would be a stretch for me so I defer and point taken. My VW isn't using a drop so far though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You identifying with upper middle class now? Class irrelevant, this twit changes his own oil and checks it at least once between changes and before a larger trip. That's why they have a hood latch Benny. You can check other stuff besides oil level too...brake fluid, PS fluid, coolant level.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I check the oil and tire pressure on my truck every week or so while gassing up. But I'm lower upper middle class

You identifying with upper middle class now? Class irrelevant, this twit changes his own oil and checks it at least once between changes and before a larger trip. That's why they have a hood latch Benny. You can check other stuff besides oil level too...brake fluid, PS fluid, coolant level.
    Isn't there an quick oil change place on every block in Jersey? At least next to the Costco.

Amen. BTW you’re going to be hard pressed to find a modern car that doesn’t lose some oil between oil changes. The thin oils that are recommended by the manufacturers (ex. 0-20w in my 14 Forester) has a way of getting by seals, gaskets and rings and majors way out of the engine.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

My low oil light goes on as soon as I am .50 quarts low. O and when I am going on a trip, I will check it and top up if needed as I am to lazy to do it while on a mission to get where I am going. Always have a quart in the lower rear boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Amen. BTW you’re going to be hard pressed to find a modern car that doesn’t lose some oil between oil changes. The thin oils that are recommended by the manufacturers (ex. 0-20w in my 14 Forester) has a way of getting by seals, gaskets and rings and majors way out of the engine.
    This too. If the car has a turbo, you need to pay attention to the oil level and change it every 5k miles with synthetic to keep the turbo good for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I drive a turbo Subaru and drive it like I stole it. I check oil level on every other fill up and top off as needed. Any good Subaru owner checks oil, cause they typically burn it up within the 5k change interval

For the last 14 or so years the cars we’ve had tell us the oil status and we act accordingly. Not a big deal.
    Also Costco is great for things that last a long time. We buy frozen fish, cheese, laundry detergent, tp, and wine. Of course we never went until we moved 3 miles from the HQ store.
    Self checkout rules.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oil.
    Someone should lose their job over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

if you're checking oil regularly cuz you're in the habit, good on you

if you're checking oil regularly cuz your recent model car needs it, your car really sucks -- vehicles have gotten so much better that checking the oil is not a necessity between oil changes

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I drive a turbo Subaru and drive it like I stole it. I check oil level on every other fill up and top off as needed. Any good Subaru owner checks oil, cause they typically burn it up within the 5k change interval
    Not until recently. Driving Subarus since 93.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

If it aint on the ground and you caint smell it coming out the tail-pipe, it aint gonna be low after 3k. where the hell else it gonna go?
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    vehicles have gotten so much better that checking the oil is not a necessity between oil changes
    Not true on a higher mileage turbo. Check the fucking oil if your car doesn't warn you plenty early.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Isn't there an quick oil change place on every block in Jersey? At least next to the Costco.
    I figure if I have to have someone put gas in my car, I can at least do my own oil.

Auto maintenance is zen Benny.

See, in the time you spent with this thread, you could already have the HRV and just be happy. HRV monitors quality and quantity of the oil in the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    If it aint on the ground and you caint smell it coming out the tail-pipe, it aint gonna be low after 3k. where the hell else it gonna go?
    Are you asking Benny?

I like the electric car suggestion. But then you have to remember to charge it...not really an upper middle class thing. And then a thread on some blue collar dirtbag who checks oil installing 220 service to the garage.

you take your "laptop" charger to the buffet and lob it out the window. Pocket meats and a green battery meter all in one. Just hit the early bird special so as not to draw attention to your fat new lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I like the electric car suggestion. But then you have to remember to charge it...not really an upper middle class thing. And then a thread on some blue collar dirtbag who checks oil installing 220 service to the garage.
    That's his upper class landlord's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    ^^a bit of oil consumption isn't quite proof of poor quality or engineering. High performance engines, as an example, normally burn a noticeable amount each oil change.
    This is not a high performance thread.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Not true on a higher mileage turbo. Check the fucking oil if your car doesn't warn you plenty early.
    "higher mileage" vs "recent model"

In Benny's defense, 2011-2013 Subarus are the subject of a class action for excessive oil consumption (both the 2.5 and 2.0)

But when that letter hit my mailbox, the effect was that I check the oil on my wife's car twice as often, so there's that.