Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Correct

The CC just entered into an exchange program with a viticulture school across the pond. I want to say it's in France. There is a recent article about our in our local rag that ran the same day as the other article I posted and yes, I know... W2 ain't France.

Edit/add: yup France
    It's a really cool community college from what I can tell. Since I posted originally a second person emailed to assure me that they'll definitely send the posting when it's up. I think they must not have too many people with similar qualifications really excited about WWCC. ha

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    It's a really cool community college from what I can tell. Since I posted originally a second person emailed to assure me that they'll definitely send the posting when it's up. I think they must not have too many people with similar qualifications really excited about WWCC. ha
    Walla Walla Community College ranks #1 on The 50 Best Community Colleges in the United States
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yep. And I was impressed with the woman who's job I'd be taking over. I really believe in the mission of the community college system and Walla Walla seems to be one of the best. Plus, WW doesn't seem like a bad place to live (I mean, is it a decent place to live for a young family? You're the one I should ask I guess).

They were supposed to have the job this year and then didn't. That actually suits me well as I wouldn't have wanted to give up the last year of my current contract that Walla Walla won't be able to come close to matching, so we'll see how things look next year. If there is no status change on my current job, I'll very likely apply.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Yep. And I was impressed with the woman who's job I'd be taking over. I really believe in the mission of the community college system and Walla Walla seems to be one of the best. Plus, WW doesn't seem like a bad place to live (I mean, is it a decent place to live for a young family? You're the one I should ask I guess).

They were supposed to have the job this year and then didn't. That actually suits me well as I wouldn't have wanted to give up the last year of my current contract that Walla Walla won't be able to come close to matching, so we'll see how things look next year. If there is no status change on my current job, I'll very likely apply.
    Re: W2 and families.

I’ve been giving this some thought and I think yes it is a good place to raise a family. Is it a metro area like Seattle with all its parks, arts and fancy private schools? No. Is it a place where people value community, hard work, and history? Yes.

One of the things I really love about W2 is how its history is a living history (W2 was the birthplace of Washington state and once its biggest city boasting the first railroad, bank, and newspaper). You have families who are decedents of original settlers who still farm the same land their ancestors did. You see this in streets, buildings, parks and neighborhoods that carry these family names. It is with a great sense of pride that people preserve homesteads and historical residences. We have the Whitman Mission National Historical Site that holds many educational events on not just the story of the Whitmans, the Oregon Trail and native tribes but educational series on restoring native plants and grasses. Fort Walla Walla Museum is another gem that often has events highlighting local people who helped to make W2 what it is today. They also have several reenactments a year that are fun family events. There are many other museums and historical site in the area including places in Dayton and surrounding cities well worth visiting.

With the two universities (Whitman and Walla Walla University) and the CC you get chamber music, arts like dance performances and plays, lectures by guest speakers, book signings etc. etc.

We have the Powerhouse Theater that puts on plays and concerts from rock to symphonies. We frequently have outdoor concert series in parks or at wineries. Our fair and frontier days is the oldest in the state and is truly a small town family affair focusing heavily on 4H and FFA. There is a rodeo and concerts by big headliners – everyone from Ziggy Marley to Blake Shelton.

We have three golf courses. One links type course that hosts PGA events (Wine Valley Golf Course). One municipal and a country club. There is a city pool and many many playfields. Soccer is big here. We have a wood bat league baseball team called “The Sweets.”

A short 45min drive to the east in Dayton we have a ski area with the second highest base elevation in the state. Of its 24 runs, Bluewood has 4 green, 12 blue, and 8 black diamonds. Additionally, there is one terrain park and six backcountry runs. The area is open five days per week, Wednesday through Sunday, plus holidays. Bluewood has a reputation for dry powder snow, tree skiing, and a family-friendly atmosphere. At the end of the season they have an event called The Bash that is all kinds of crazy. Season passes are reasonable and your money goes to supporting a local hill. If you want more skiing White Pass is 2.5 hrs to the west.

Speaking of mountains and terrain we’ve got it in spades! Situated in the corner of Washington our wilderness areas cover three states. From the Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon to the Oregon Wallowas in the Whitman-Wallowa National Forest which contains the Eagle Cap Wilderness it doesn’t get much better for hiking, camping and biking or exploring cities like Enterprise and Joseph that have their own arts events and celebrations. Plus there is Idaho's Hells Canyon (the deepest canyon in the US) a couple hours away. If you're into geology this is the place to be as the geology here is amazing. The plateau/basin was formed by the great Missoula flood which is also why this is a great ag area.

If it’s water you want we got it. We’re not called “the land of many waters” for no reason (so called by the Walla Walla tribe who were one of the powerful tribes of the Plateau Culture area. They lived a semi-nomadic lifestyle fishing, hunting, or gathering wild plants for food. The tribe's name means "Many Waters" because of the rivers that ran through their homeland). The official state waterfall, Palouse Falls, is a 1hr drive from W2 through the beautiful rolling hills of the Palouse. An incredible scenic drive.

We have a lot of different events like road and gravel bike races, a triathlon called “The Onion Man.” A hot air balloon festival, sweet onion festival, Food Truck night, a plethora of food and wine events that bring in bloggers and travel writers, parades, farmer’s market, car rallies, dog shows, college rodeo, demolition derby, roller derby, store-to-store trick or treating/Easter/holiday events for the kiddies on Main street in our quaint downtown etc. etc.

Dining is good here and have I mentioned we have the number one chocolate store in the state? Brights Candies is fantastic! For the over 21 crowd we have more than a handful of wineries, breweries, distilleries and cannabis stores.

With regard to schools I’ve not had any experience with them but we do have several systems to choose from. We have Catholic, Adventist, bi-lingual, charter and public schools. In the public schools esp. the HS you will find offerings that you wouldn’t have in bigger metro areas. For instance we have an air rifle team (JROTC) that is top notch. I believe they’ve taken nationals several years in a row. They also still have vocational classes which I think a lot of schools have dropped.

Our little league team went to Nationals 2017 (Northwest Regional Champions).

We are 45mins away from Tri-Cities (population 300K to our 32K) if you need a Costco run or other "big city" amenities. W2 has a regional airport with three flights out/in a day to Seattle and Seattle only. If you need to go somewhere else you can drive to Tri-Cities where you have more options without having to deal with Sea-Tac. Parking at our airport is FREE for as long as you need and TSA screening is usually only a couple people long. So nice!

It is mind-boggling how much there is to do and see here. W2 may be a small town but the greater area is wide and varied with each small community forming a larger history with events and celebrations unique to their founding and focus. The area is rich in history from first nations people to the Corps of Discovery to early settlers and it all comes with amazing natural resources.

In the end we are a farming community that relies on tourism to make ends meet which has its pluses and minuses. The wine industry has shifted the dynamic some as the area is not near as conservative as it once was plus it has brought in much needed money for community projects and restoration.

Oh yeah…. we’ve still got a drive-in theater which I think is kinda cool. A bit of fast fading Americana.

Some web sites to check out:

https://wallawalla.org/

https://www.facebook.com/outsidewallawalla/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022092187801893/

https://www.facebook.com/WallaWallaHikingClub/

http://imacnw.org/

http://www.wwvchamber.com/
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Forgot... cross country skiing/snowshoeing : Meacham Divide Nordic Ski Area. The Umatilla National Forest has many such areas to choose from.

Is this some kind of court-ordered community service for the tourism board?

We were led to believe you were one of them nice, no-trouble, gal-next-ranch-over types.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Is this some kind of court-ordered community service for the tourism board?

We were led to believe you were one of them nice, no-trouble, gal-next-ranch-over types.
    LOL! It's just me - I like to know things about where I live and he asked so I thought I'd put some effort into it. I don't participate in half of the events that go on around town but do keep up on what is happening.

Brandy anyone?

DW Distilling

We've always been on a mission to make great brandy. But now, we are embarking on another mission: creating a one-of-a-kind experience highlighting the special history of the Walla Walla Army Air Corps Base.

As one of our fans, we'd like to invite you to join our Officers' Club. As a member, you sign up for

Two allotments of our hand-picked releases per year of three bottles ($125ish dollars per release)
    Complimentary tastings in the Officers' Club
    Access to members-only events, such as movie nights with Mr. D and Mr. W
    Access to members-only brandy releases

On November 9th, we launch the Officers' Club. This club will bring together historical artifacts, barrel-aged cocktails, and big band music to transport you to the 1940's. Oh, and did we mention our newest release? It's called The Reserve, a carefully-selected blend of our best brandy that has been double barrel-aged.
    Last edited by KQ; 09-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.

KQ - I was in WW last Tuesday for a bid at WWCC and thought about reaching out to see if you wanted to get a coffee but, not enough time. Maybe next time...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    KQ - I was in WW last Tuesday for a bid at WWCC and thought about reaching out to see if you wanted to get a coffee but, not enough time. Maybe next time...

Brandy anyone?

DW Distilling

We've always been on a mission to make great brandy. But now, we are embarking on another mission: creating a one-of-a-kind experience highlighting the special history of the Walla Walla Army Air Corps Base.

As one of our fans, we'd like to invite you to join our Officers' Club. As a member, you sign up for

Two allotments of our hand-picked releases per year of three bottles ($125ish dollars per release)
    Complimentary tastings in the Officers' Club
    Access to members-only events, such as movie nights with Mr. D and Mr. W
    Access to members-only brandy releases

On November 9th, we launch the Officers' Club. This club will bring together historical artifacts, barrel-aged cocktails, and big band music to transport you to the 1940's. Oh, and did we mention our newest release? It's called The Reserve, a carefully-selected blend of our best brandy that has been double barrel-aged.
    Are they located on the old base?

He needs an older jeep to be correct.
    watch out for snakes

KQ, are there any shuttle services available to take riders up Tiger Creek to ride the NF Walla Walla River?

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Are they located on the old base?

He needs an older jeep to be correct.
    They are at the airport with all its outbuilding some of which were barracks. Not sure if where they are located were former barracks but they seem to be playing on that.

BTW - I fixed the link in my OP

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    KQ, are there any shuttle services available to take riders up Tiger Creek to ride the NF Walla Walla River?
    Yanno... I don't know but I do know you need one for a couple of the trails.

Try giving Allegro Cycle or Bicycle Barn a call and see if they have any info on shuttle services or groups that have regular rides up there.
    Last edited by KQ; 09-16-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks for the word on the shuttles. I think my buddy that grew up there knows a few who'd drive shuttle up there come to think of it.

Don't forget to add the best gas station food in a Cenex is also found right there next to the tractor supply shop. Andrae's Kitchen....

They are at the airport with all its outbuilding some of which were barracks. Not sure if where they are located were former barracks but they seem to be playing on that.

BTW - I fixed the link in my OP

Yanno... I don't know but I do know you need one for a couple of the trails.

Try giving Allegro Cycle or Bicycle Barn a call and see if they have any info on shuttle services or groups that have regular rides up there.
    yeah, that place is great. I was only in WW about 48 hours and had both a lunch and breakfast. Met Andrae day 2. Learned he does wine/food raft trips with Minam River Outfitters. Look like cool trips.

I actually just applied to a job at Whitman a few days ago. It's not the absolute best fit, but I talked to them this summer and they gave me enough encouragement to send in an app. We'll see if by chance they bite and I get to give in to KQ's evangelism.

KQ are you actually typing this content? Or copy paste?

Quite impressive.

The Walla Walla chamber of commerce should be paying you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Looks like a lot of phun stuff with in walkies.
    watch out for snakes

KQ neglects to mention that the WA State Penitentiary is in WW too.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    As KQ will tell you it’s one of the most picturesque, historically interesting prisons this side of the Mississippi.

Gorgeous

I totally see KQ volunteering at the WW visitor center come old age.

Hell, I’ve only driven through there, now I want to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    KQ are you actually typing this content? Or copy paste?

Quite impressive.

The Walla Walla chamber of commerce should be paying you.
    Force of habit - research and presenting evidence was my thing. It's a part of who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Looks like a lot of phun stuff with in walkies.
    There is a weekly "sip n' stroll" downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I have not neglected that! I've even posted pics in the "view right now" thread.

As KQ will tell you it’s one of the most picturesque, historically interesting prisons this side of the Mississippi.

Gorgeous
    I don't know if I'd go that far. The lights suck pretty bad. You can see them for miles at night. My neighbors call them the "Penaborealis."

Here's your history and some trivia:

It opened 133 years ago in 1886, three years before statehood.

Located at 1313 N. 13th Avenue, it is commonly known as "the Walls" among inmates and "The Penn" to the locals. The penitentiary is sometimes known as Concrete Mama, from a book with the same title by Ethan Hoffman and John McCoy. Elsewhere within Washington, and also to an extent in the surrounding states, the name Walla Walla is a metonym for the penitentiary. The penitentiary was the subject of the song "Walla Walla" by American punk rock band The Offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I totally see KQ volunteering at the WW visitor center come old age.
    If I make it to old age that could be doable. Give me someone to talk to once in a while.

Hell, I’ve only driven through there, now I want to live there.

A town so nice they named it twice!

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    W2 Activism! Whitman and WWU plus the CC really mix things up in this little farming community and that's a good thing. No?