Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tecnica Cochise 130/120 Dyn 2019

Couldn't find much on these here. Looking for general info, and comparisons to the older Cochise.

Currently skiing the old blue 110 Cochise, which an Intuition HV Luxury liner has stiffened up considerably. Love the fit, the flex, how it skis, but could do with a little more toe room - and wouldn't mind a better walk mode. Mine are 27.5 (320bsl), and with a toe punch they are ok, but not without toe bang. They're also 5 years old.

Keen on the 120/130Dyn, and would like some sizing info. They are 315bsl in 27/27.5, and 325 in 28/28.5, so I'd probably have to go up a size to achieve my toe space goal.

Do they ski like the older ones, or have they become even better?

Edit: Just realised that they are the same as last year's, but all the above Qs still apply.

There’s an epically huge thread on these titled something like Tecnica 16/17 boots. Find that. All will be revealed. Actual fit between similar sizes is the same. Bsl difference can be ignored. But yes you’d go up to remove toe bang. Volume, particularly heel and instep if reduced so you could probably achieve the fit you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    There’s an epically huge thread on these titled something like Tecnica 16/17 boots. Find that. All will be revealed. Actual fit between similar sizes is the same. Bsl difference can be ignored. But yes you’d go up to remove toe bang. Volume, particularly heel and instep if reduced so you could probably achieve the fit you are looking for.
    Thanks, mate.
    So the internal length is the same, but they've shortened the bsl?

Pretty generous toe box in the Cochise. I wouldn’t size up

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Thanks, mate.
    So the internal length is the same, but they've shortened the bsl?
    Yep. The older removable soles added length.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Pretty generous toe box in the Cochise. I wouldn’t size up
    I would if your toes are smashed as heel hold is improved.

Sounds good. Thanks for help and info.

Btw, interesting reading that original thread with the many references to how stiff the 2nd gen Cochise was. My 110 with Intuition liners feels as stiff as any other boot I've owned/tried.

I put a season on the 25.5 2016 Cochise 130, tried on the 2016 110 (which flexes similar to 2017 ZeroG Guide Pro in Triax), and currently own the black 26.5 2017 Cochise 120 after getting tired of destroying toenails in the smaller prior-gen 130. Definitely a difference in stiffness between all the models, and honestly the 130 was more boot than I needed at 165 lbs. At room temp the 110 flexed kinda soft, but they all stiffen up quite a bit in the cold, so factor in the average temps in your area when choosing (go stiffer if you have lots of days in 30's/40's).

Very happy with the black 2017 120. Liner is getting packed out, will be an Intuition in it next season

I’ve been on the new bright orange 130s for the past 3 seasons now. They’ve been great boots for me. I think a decent chunk of the performance difference may be a result of the liner, but for me, they ski way better than my Hawx XTD 130s.

The liners, albeit heavy for touring, are awesome and don’t really pack out. The boot and liner are excellent for bootfitters to work with, as well.

The flex is very smooth for a touring boot, although the polyether construction can feel a little soft for me when in 50 degree spring weather.

The walk mode does develop a small amount of play over time (usually after at least 50 days), and I’ve had a few rare occurrences when it’s been a challenge to get the walk mode to lock back into the downhill position.

Lift lock buckles are awesome and I wish all boots had them. The easy instep thing is real and they’re much easier to get on/off than the Hawx XTD.

I’ve had my current pair for over 125 days and I recently decided to pick up a pair of Mach 1 130 LVs because I want to hold onto the Cochise as my travel, do-it-all boot, but I’m a bit concerned that I’ll destroy the walk mode if I keep skiing them every day for the next few seasons. One of the primary reasons for choosing the Mach 1 was its similarities with the Cochise in terms of the liner—I’m a huge fan and love the fact that I don’t need to spend extra money to replace it with an aftermarket alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post

I’ve had my current pair for over 125 days and I recently decided to pick up a pair of Mach 1 130 LVs because I want to hold onto the Cochise as my travel, do-it-all boot,
    But the fit of the mach1 is different from the cochise, no ?
    Did you get the same size in the mach1...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I put a season on the 25.5 2016 Cochise 130, tried on the 2016 110 (which flexes similar to 2017 ZeroG Guide Pro in Triax), and currently own the black 26.5 2017 Cochise 120 after getting tired of destroying toenails in the smaller prior-gen 130. Definitely a difference in stiffness between all the models, and honestly the 130 was more boot than I needed at 165 lbs. At room temp the 110 flexed kinda soft, but they all stiffen up quite a bit in the cold, so factor in the average temps in your area when choosing (go stiffer if you have lots of days in 30's/40's).

Very happy with the black 2017 120. Liner is getting packed out, will be an Intuition in it next season
    I was on the fence to go 120 or 130. Went 130 as you know...orange!

If they’re too stiff someone’s getting a deal. Liners will be unskied.

It is a little different. Overall Mach1's are a bit lower volume with even better heel hold. I'm going to need punches on the Mach1's in similar places as I did for the Cochise, so they don't seem to be wildly different fits. Although at this point, my Cochise are punched and molded such that they don't have anything near the stock fit, and it's a bit hard to compare stock vs. customized.

Same size in both boots, definitely wouldn't change that unless you wanted a loose fit for touring, but if you're going for that, choose a lighter, more touring-oriented boot than the Cochise.

So much good advice in this thread. Thank you all,

Re Skeeze's last post, my aim is a travel boot. One that can drive my Monster 98s, LPs, yet also do a full day of touring. My old 110s have done that fine, they're just a little short.

Even at home, my resort skiing involves a lot of booting, ridge hiking, walking, and occasionally skinning, so I think the Cochise makes good sense. Also have an ancient pair of mango Maestrales for touring, and they might get replaced with Zero G Scouts one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I’ve been on the new bright orange 130s for the past 3 seasons now. They’ve been great boots for me. I think a decent chunk of the performance difference may be a result of the liner, but for me, they ski way better than my Hawx XTD 130s.

The liners, albeit heavy for touring, are awesome and don’t really pack out. The boot and liner are excellent for bootfitters to work with, as well.

The flex is very smooth for a touring boot, although the polyether construction can feel a little soft for me when in 50 degree spring weather.

The walk mode does develop a small amount of play over time (usually after at least 50 days), and I’ve had a few rare occurrences when it’s been a challenge to get the walk mode to lock back into the downhill position.

Lift lock buckles are awesome and I wish all boots had them. The easy instep thing is real and they’re much easier to get on/off than the Hawx XTD.

I’ve had my current pair for over 125 days and I recently decided to pick up a pair of Mach 1 130 LVs because I want to hold onto the Cochise as my travel, do-it-all boot, but I’m a bit concerned that I’ll destroy the walk mode if I keep skiing them every day for the next few seasons. One of the primary reasons for choosing the Mach 1 was its similarities with the Cochise in terms of the liner—I’m a huge fan and love the fact that I don’t need to spend extra money to replace it with an aftermarket alternative.

Sad to hear. I’m only replacing my previous gen 110’s as they developed some play. It’s in the pivot apparently and a common problem. Maybe 150 days on them though.

Yeah, gen 3 has more room in the toe box than gen 1 and 2. Work great as a do it all boot. I actually went from 130 to 120 in this latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Btw, interesting reading that original thread with the many references to how stiff the 2nd gen Cochise was. My 110 with Intuition liners feels as stiff as any other boot I've owned/tried.
    I’m coming from 110’s of the previous gen as well. With power wraps. Got my 130 dyn today. Carpet flex feels good. Softer than the 110’s but obviously expect that to change on the hill. Flex is certainly more progressive.

I’ll ski them tomorrow with power wraps from old boots and report back. It’ll be 33-45 degrees though.

Good luck, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Got my 130 dyn today. Carpet flex feels good.
    Yeah, the orange is freaking awesome. Not a fan of the boring black used for the 120, but whatever.

there is another thread on reducing the flex on these boots (by lowering the clog).
    I also got the 130 even though I do not need that kind of flex due to my weight mainly. it was what they had in the store where i tried them on and I bought them.
    I did notice that when buckling the 2 upper buckles hard (especially the second one from the top) there is a lot of friction between the cuff and the clog on the outside side of the boot (inside is smooth). going to dremel the cuff so it is more rounded (seems to be molded with a sharp edge). i guess it is worth to check that before doing any other mods or getting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    there is another thread on reducing the flex on these boots (by lowering the clog).
    I also got the 130 even though I do not need that kind of flex due to my weight mainly. it was what they had in the store where i tried them on and I bought them.
    I did notice that when buckling the 2 upper buckles hard (especially the second one from the top) there is a lot of friction between the cuff and the clog on the outside side of the boot (inside is smooth). going to dremel the cuff so it is more rounded (seems to be molded with a sharp edge). i guess it is worth to check that before doing any other mods or getting rid of them.
    And this is because you find them too stiff?

^ That was my take. Someone with big ankles who doesn't buckle them as far will have a softer boot than someone with small ankles who cranks them down a lot. The small ankle guy has options.

if I crank them up real hard it they barely move and it is all stiction. so yes I will make the edge rounder to reduce the stiction and profit from more flex

Narrow heel, boney ankle guy here. I have to crank down the 3rd buckle on most everything (Freetour LV, Z-G Guide Pro, etc.).

One common theme about preceived flex stiffness involves tuning the top buckle and/or power strap to match. If I don't match everything up, I get shin bang at the top of the boot. Tune it right, and it's like buttah.

Probably stating the obvious, but it might not be so to everyone.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Tecnica Cochise 130/120 Dyn 2019

1st day on the 130’s in high 30 low 40 temps. Using power wraps molded to previous gen 110’s which I’ll use as a comparison. Didn’t have time to mold the new set of power wraps yet.

Fit is great. Instep is certainly lower than previous and I basically leave the buckle there undone. Will be fine with a new liner mold. Heel hold is a good improvement over the old model too. Overall the shape just grips your foot.

Flex is pretty different. At these temps the 130 is certainly not too stiff. It flexes way more than the old 110 at the start and then stiffens. An odd feeling for me right now but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Probably cold temps will help too.

I also feel the stance is a tiny bit more upright than the older model which I don’t mind as it will make the transition to my tour pro boots easier when I go backcountry.

Oh and to add to the discussion on buckles I have both top buckles in the 3rd from tightest notch. So on the tighter side of mid range being that there are 6 slots.

For reference I’m 5’10” 160.