Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX

Disappointed.

Maybe it will get better after repeated viewing. The last two have a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

I'm amazed my 9 year old handled this one. 7 year old me would have pissed my seat in the theater.
    My kids were playing sketchier video games at age 9
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Anyone got a foreign streaming site?

Star Wars IX

Saw it last night. It was pretty good but it went to far towards the Infinity War strategy of trying to give each character their moment instead of just making a good story, IMO. I’m never sure when it’s appropriate to start talking about spoilers but I’ll check back in with some specifics later.

Was really hoping for a baby today cameo, but alas...

I saw it last night too. I thought it was great. Easy to juxtapose the Luke Skywalker vis-à-vis Darth Vader storyline to Rey and Ben. If I can make one criticism it would be that this movie had Too many storylines that were similar to those of older movies
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^^ Yeah, saw it yesterday as well and thought it was pretty good. But you're right, a lot of the stories and characters are the same as they've always been. Instead of Luke we have Rey, and instead of Solo we have Poe, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    ^^ Yeah, saw it yesterday as well and thought it was pretty good. But you're right, a lot of the stories and characters are the same as they've always been. Instead of Luke we have Rey, and instead of Solo we have Poe, etc.
    This. And Rey/Poe stink.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Christmas Day, back row, 5:45pm show time, 5 minutes before previews started. Two other small groups did show during the previews for a total of 10 people in the theater for the show. I got TWO cup holders as I demanded!

Why sit in the back row? Might as well watch it on your laptop

Protip: the only correct answer is: "it's easier to smoke vape hits back here"

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Why sit in the back row? Might as well watch it on your laptop

Protip: the only correct answer is: "it's easier to smoke vape hits back here"

3D is better in the back. Heads same level as middle of screen. Looking straight forward instead of up.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    3D is better in the back. Heads same level as middle of screen. Looking straight forward instead of up.
    Word. That's true. You'll Go cross eyed sitting too close for 3D.
    Plus, vape hits are easier in the back row.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Too many plot holes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Saw today. That was kind of weak.

Are we discussing spoilers in this thread? If so, I have some questions....
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Meh. Not in the top 5 for sure. Still enjoyed it. Didn't see the major reveal coming.

And the Disney multiplier on the Lucas cheese... unnecessary.

Star Wars IX

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Meh. Not in the top 5 for sure. Still enjoyed it. Didn't see the major reveal coming.

And the Disney multiplier on the Lucas cheese... unnecessary.
    Major reveal: Chewy and Rey get it on?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Major reveal: Chewy and Rey get it on?
    Let him have it. It's not wise to upset a wookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

He’s naked, isn’t he? I never saw shit! But he seems to wipe well?

Isn’t one of the points of this thread to discuss details and spoiler shit?

So no resolution on the kid with the broom from 8?

That just makes me dislike 8 even more.

didn't like them at all

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Horses’ dicks are actually as long as your arm but they retract up inside their bodies when not in use. I have to believe Chewie has a giant retractable horse dick. Where else would his spectacular self confidence come from? Dude has swagger

Got to reach out to Abrams... George Lucas is no longer deciding what kind of cock Chewey has..

Prehensile

I liked it. Which I should qualify by saying that I don’t go into a Star Wars movie expecting greatness, in terms of complexity or depth. The original Star Wars was a fun space-based mix of Western and Fairy Tale, with, above all, amazing visuals, and by those standards, I found SW9 to be a worthy wrap-up of the saga. As a closing chapter of such an iconic series, I’m fine with "fan service", and echoes of earlier themes.

SPOILERS:
    Didn’t like: The ending’s need to bestow "Skywalker" royalty status on Rey (plus the need to establish that she’d come from evil-royalty to begin with). I thought the whole point of Rey, from the previous film, was that she was a nobody, who nevertheless could rise to greatness by her desire and actions. But no, it’s Lion King all over again, some animals are rightfully born into status, while others belong in their lower rung places.
    Did like: After nine movies with the consistent theme of basically good people being tempted by the powers of evil and the evils of power, the Dark Side (indeed, the main story of the prequel trilogy is that an entire society, or intergalactic federation, quasi-democratic originally, allows itself to be corrupted, with some enthusiasm, to become the evil Empire), it was a satisfying ending for a major character, Kylo, to be seduced by the good side.

More thoughts:

I've seen just a small fraction of the superhero/supernatural action films that have been hits in the past decade, and yet I've seen enough of them to feel like they're big-budget puppet shows doing the same shit over and over again. For example, I found it hard to watch the Avengers movies without saying to myself, "really? archery? these guys can do this and that and leap through space-time, and they need somebody who can launch warheads with a bow and arrow?!?". And here, in Star Wars 9, of course, pyrotechnic archery is there in the mix; has to be, because more is more!

And then there's that thing where the opposing protagonists finally get past the assorted combat games, and just raise their palms forward and exude pure Force energy, represented by waves of blue electric flux lines. It's in Star Wars 9, and in the Wonder Woman movie, same exact effect following the same exact progression. Which isn't to suggest that it was likely original in Wonder Woman, either.

On the plus side, damn, SW9 was such a visual treat, throughout, and not even just the action sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    More thoughts:

I've seen just a small fraction of the superhero/supernatural action films that have been hits in the past decade, and yet I've seen enough of them to feel like they're big-budget puppet shows doing the same shit over and over again. For example, I found it hard to watch the Avengers movies without saying to myself, "really? archery? these guys can do this and that and leap through space-time, and they need somebody who can launch warheads with a bow and arrow?!?". And here, in Star Wars 9, of course, pyrotechnic archery is there in the mix; has to be, because more is more!

And then there's that thing where the opposing protagonists finally get past the assorted combat games, and just raise their palms forward and exude pure Force energy, represented by waves of blue electric flux lines. It's in Star Wars 9, and in the Wonder Woman movie, same exact effect following the same exact progression. Which isn't to suggest that it was likely original in Wonder Woman, either.

On the plus side, damn, SW9 was such a visual treat, throughout, and not even just the action sequences.
    I thin’ what you’re saying is that the current crop of super heroes are TOO super and that the Star Wars movies have fallen prey to the same temptations to overdo it with all the force stuff. I agree.