Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Star Wars IX

Quote Originally Posted by Brownskii View Post
    I thin’ what you’re saying is that the current crop of super heroes are TOO super and that the Star Wars movies have fallen prey to the same temptations to overdo it with all the force stuff. I agree.
    Well sort of, but not exactly. I'm mainly complaining about a lack of imagination. Part of the point of sci-fi is that the storyteller is freed from the constraints of conventional reality. So then, let's have some wild new concepts, not a retread of some other movie's ridiculous bow-and-arrow thing (amidst the standard super-duper-kung-fu and laser gun shootout which I guess does need to be in every film of this genre), culminating in a blue Force flux inverse tug-a-war.

I mean, the Valerian movie had some serious problems, and really wasn't very good, but there was enough cool novel stuff in it that I'd be more likely to rewatch Valerian than any of the recent (mostly pretty good to very good) Star Wars movies.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post

I mean, the Valerian movie had some serious problems, and really wasn't very good, but there was enough cool novel stuff in it that I'd be more likely to rewatch Valerian than any of the recent (mostly pretty good to very good) Star Wars movies.
    Not very good?!?! Well, other than a shitty plot, insipid characters and a gawdawful sound track, sure - it had some nice sets and CGI. But yeah, I get what you mean about same ol' same ol' in the SF super hero universe.

Well sort of, but not exactly. I'm mainly complaining about a lack of imagination. Part of the point of sci-fi is that the storyteller is freed from the constraints of conventional reality. So then, let's have some wild new concepts, not a retread of some other movie's ridiculous bow-and-arrow thing (amidst the standard super-duper-kung-fu and laser gun shootout which I guess does need to be in every film of this genre), culminating in a blue Force flux inverse tug-a-war.

I get it. It’s definitely repetitive. You lost me with the Valerian stuff though. I couldn’t get through it. Maybe it deserves a second look.

Well, like I said, Valerian's not very good; point is, I like flashes of inspiration enough to tolerate them in a not good movie. Whereas, I'm not sure how many more of these boilerplate rule-the-universe action blockbusters I'm going to keep sitting through.

As it happens, my kid was just rewatching the Sith movie, and so I need to acknowledge that the blue Force flux effect was used in that movie (just before the lava scenes that I was hanging around to see). So then, retread, but very much part of the Star Wars SFX universe, and therefore I have to admit that it belongs in Ep 9.

Well, like I said, Valerian's not very good; point is, I like flashes of inspiration enough to tolerate them in a not good movie. Whereas, I'm not sure how many more of these boilerplate rule-the-universe action blockbusters I'm going to keep sitting through.

As it happens, my kid was just rewatching the Sith movie, and so I need to acknowledge that the blue Force flux effect was used in that movie (just before the lava scenes that I was hanging around to see). So then, retread, but very much part of the Star Wars SFX universe, and therefore I have to admit that it belongs in Ep 9.
    As you may recall, blue force flux shit has been around since the beginning (or at least since the culmination of the original trilogy).

Are you all talking about when Rey uses “force lightning?”

Yeah. My bad; I thought Star Wars ripped it off, but turns out at least one other movie ripped it off from Star Wars.

In the SW universe, only the bad guys (Sith) have the ability to use Force Lightning. There was significance in the movie when Rey got really upset and accidentally did it herself.