Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

ISO: topper for 6.5' bed 2012 Tundra

Will drive upwards of 8-10 hours away from SWMT. Nearly impossible to find one here that is used. Ideally black in color, but will repaint if I find the right deal. Something with higher than cab height like a Leer 180/122 since I will be sleeping under it. Thanks Mags.

Good luck with the search... I tried for weeks before shelling out (heh) for a new color-matched 180.

I'll keep my eyes open around JH. You might give Wild Things in I.F. a call.....long shot, but they're a great shop.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Good luck with the search... I tried for weeks before shelling out (heh) for a new color-matched 180.
    That's what I am afraid of. Almost did that last summer and just bought a softopper. It works OK, and was at my doorstep in 2 days, but doesn't keep the wind/rain out perfectly if a storm rolls in. With an actual fiberglass topper you can sleep in basically any weather.

How long did you have to wait for your 180 after you ordered it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I'll keep my eyes open around JH. You might give Wild Things in I.F. a call.....long shot, but they're a great shop.
    Ok cool thanks. I'll check them out.

I think it took about a week for the topper to show up.

I think it took about a week for the topper to show up.
    That's not bad at all. I am tempted with the 122, but it's so tall it kind looks crazy. 180 would be perfect I think. I think my sleeping platform is low enough that I will be able to sit upright in there. Did you go with Thule tracks/bars?

Yes, Thule track/bars.

I love the 180. It's just tall enough for a mountain bike to stand upright (seat dropped), bungee'd to the side. Maybe consider that for the sleeping arrangements, since a full-width platform would interfere.

Nice to have secure storage, and no need for hitch mount rack.

Yes, Thule track/bars.

I love the 180. It's just tall enough for a mountain bike to stand upright (seat dropped), bungee'd to the side. Maybe consider that for the sleeping arrangements, since a full-width platform would interfere.

Nice to have secure storage, and no need for hitch mount rack.
    That is pretty nice. I do have a 1up rack which is dope and tilts out of the way even with 2 bikes on it. Currently having a queen sized sleeping platform is awesome for when lady friends come along.

We camp in ours quite a bit for sure. Haven't built a platform yet, since I keep needing the vertical space... we keep outdoor futon pads in the back and they conform pretty well to the bed ridges. Not perfect but it works and the pads are less fragile than other mattress options.

I did build a little suspended platform for my daughter to sleep on as an experiment... wiggly toddlers not allowed in bed, lol.

Anyway, lots of ways to use a good topper. Hope you can find a used one. I paid an embarrassing $2700 for mine.

Yeah, I just requested a quote. Last spring I looked for like 2 months and never found a used one. Figure if they are in that big of demand I could always unload mine at minimal loss if I need the cash that bad. Being able to sleep comfortably in the truck out at a trailhead somewhere is one of life's little joys. Just rolling up and parking and not setting up a tent is kind of worth all that money.

Edit: And the bears can't get ya.

So I got some quote for Leer and ARE. The ARE are a little cheaper. I also found a used one. Smoking fucking deal. Bit of a drive, but it's somewhere I wanted to go mountain biking anyway. Downside is it's cab high and white paint. Price is fucking cheap though. Priced so well that I could have someone paint it professionally and still be way cheaper than brand new.

Better yet vinyl wrap it or line-x?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Oh I know. It is really tempting....but they are 15 MONTHS out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Oh I know. It is really tempting....but they are 15 MONTHS out right now.
    Yep, I realized that after I posted. Didn't realize they had taken off. Still tempting to rough it for the next 15 with some cheap topper.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Those look sweet, but at 7k I would be shopping for Roamin Chariots on craigslist. Should be able to find one for 2500. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Those look sweet, but at 7k I would be shopping for Roamin Chariots on craigslist. Should be able to find one for 2500. Google it.
    Yeah, 7k is quite a reach. The 4x4 crowds in CA, TX, AZ (aka wheelbarrows of money to throw around) blew up GFC almost overnight. I mean they are sick. I think the beauty is that you can just leave it on there and throw lumber in the bed and go about your normal week and on the weekends drive up a fire road and camp in style.

Those Roamins are cool, but make the actual truck bed useless unless you take the camper off every Sunday/end of every trip, etc.

Doesn't a mag own GFC?

Edit: Pretty sure I am gonna just go for a new ARE MX. Can get one with pretty much all the options I want under $2500. Only downside is that I might not fit in my garage with it on, but the extra headroom of the MX is pretty awesome.

Doesn't a mag own GFC?
    Yup single: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...o+fast+campers

Gonna try to hold out a little longer for a used topper. Will pay a $100 finders fee if someone spots one in a yard near them, in the newspaper, etc.

Anyone in Gypsum wanna go find this guy and tell him how to use CL?

Zero way to contact him lol.

https://rockies.craigslist.org/pts/d...870718576.html
    See the "send note" box at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    See the "send note" box at the bottom.
    Yeah, tried that a few times. Guy must not ever check his email.

Well, I found a cheap one in MN. Got it shipped pretty cheap via Uship as well. Only problem is broken/missing window between the cab/bed. Damn. Now I know why it was so cheap. Shame on me for buying it off CL without seeing more than a few pics. I do have the rubber gasket though. Probably can make something out of plexi to at least keep the water out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190427_192805.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	859.9 KB 
ID:	280309

Do you have a sliding rear window from your cab? If so I would do a rubber boot between them. Never ran them on a personal rig and I've heard they can damage the paint over time though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Do you have a sliding rear window from your cab? If so I would do a rubber boot between them. Never ran them on a personal rig and I've heard they can damage the paint over time though.
    Yes. Think those rubber boots are car wash worthy? Main reason I got this thing was so I could really get a good wash. With the old softopper I could only do self service and it never does as good of a job. This coming from a person who spent their whole life around car washes. Can't get the underside clean with self serve.

Yes. Think those rubber boots are car wash worthy? Main reason I got this thing was so I could really get a good wash. With the old softopper I could only do self service and it never does as good of a job. This coming from a person who spent their whole life around car washes. Can't get the underside clean with self serve.
    I have a hunch you may get some water in but that is a problem with most toppers in one place or another. I couldn't tell you the last time I used a drive through wash though, I'm a self serve kinda guy.