Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Masters

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Choking is literally part of the game in the majors. Jack certainly didn't win all his without help from his competitors.
    Yeah, but he got lucky this time in that all the guys that could have beat him all choked. Hasn’t always been that way, and probably can’t expect it to happen in the other majors this year.
    Which is why he has only one less US Open win than Jack? Come on.
    Tiger then vs Tiger now. Tiger back then had tremendous power to hack his way out of deep rough and land the ball on the green next to the hole. Haven’t seen much of that lately.

This choking term is being thrown about recklessly. Greg Norman choked. I didnt see a bad "choke" yesterday. Few bad shots here and there, combined with Tiger's super solid green shots and putting. It could have gone either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This choking term is being thrown about recklessly. Greg Norman choked. I didnt see a bad "choke" yesterday. Few bad shots here and there, combined with Tiger's super solid green shots and putting. It could have gone either way.
    Pressure. That's what got those who fell. Tiger has always had the best mental game. Daddy took care of that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

so all those top players who had a legitimate chance to win choked trying to win a major -- the masters -- except tiger.

interesting.

Who knew that shooting 68 on Sunday at the Masters (DJ and Xander both did and finished second) is now considered choking? That's fucking ridiculous. Skip Bayless called and said stop stealing his crazy hot takes. Molinari only shot 2 over because after the water ball on 12, he knew he had to go for the pin on 15 to have any chance to win, especially with Tiger already setup with an eagle putt. He could have taken a safer line to the right but he was going for it.

Reality check:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.30.55 PM.png
Views: 748
Size:  65.7 KB

People shot higher in “poor conditions” (i know poor conditions and masters does not comprehend but it was wet) than they did the day before in near perfect conditions. That’s not choking.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Tiger then vs Tiger now. Tiger back then had tremendous power to hack his way out of deep rough and land the ball on the green next to the hole. Haven’t seen much of that lately.
    I'm guessing you didn't actually watch many of those majors... or have a really shitty memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Pressure. That's what got those who fell. Tiger has always had the best mental game. Daddy took care of that.
    That certainly WAS the case when he was confident he was the best golfer in the world. You've got to figure there are a few chinks in his armor these days, but he sure was able to keep focus yesterday.

The Masters

^^ That’s racist! ;-)

I wonder what LaCava really said......
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Who knew that shooting 68 on Sunday at the Masters (DJ and Xander both did and finished second) is now considered choking? That's fucking ridiculous. Skip Bayless called and said stop stealing his crazy hot takes. Molinari only shot 2 over because after the water ball on 12, he knew he had to go for the pin on 15 to have any chance to win, especially with Tiger already setup with an eagle putt. He could have taken a safer line to the right but he was going for it.

Reality check:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.30.55 PM.png
Views: 748
Size:  65.7 KB
    Koepka and Finau were both tied with Woods at the start of the day. They both took doubles at 12, along with Molinari, of course. Call it nerves if you don’t like the word choking, but it’s the same thing. And then there’s Koepka jerking the putt at 18. And many other instances.

The guys that made a good run at it, were just too far back to start with. There have been times when Tiger threatened in the past, and the leader just ran away with it. Didn’t happen this time.

I don’t fault Tiger at all, but it would be a mistake to say he didn’t get help from the field.

The guys that made a good run at it, were just too far back to start with. There have been times when Tiger threatened in the past, and the leader just ran away with it. Didn’t happen this time.

I don’t fault Tiger at all, but it would be a mistake to say he didn’t get help from the field.
    usually I'm a cynic too - but you just described literally EVERY FUCKING GOLF TOURNEY EVER.

that's kind of how this thing called golf works...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Because Woods hasn't been caught cheating (at golf) countless times..
    That’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Tiger played great, but... Molinari (and others) handed that to him by choking. I see this as a one-off thing, not a return to dominance. I think Jack’s majors record is safe.

The Masters is the course most suited to Tiger’s game. Tighten up fairways and throw in some long rough and it’s a different story altogether.
    It will take ALOT for him to win a few more majors, ALOT.

But if his back is even 90% then it’s as good as done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    usually I'm a cynic too - but you just described literally EVERY FUCKING GOLF TOURNEY EVER.
    Thank you. I'm sick of people throwing around the term "choked" so casually.

Anyone watch “Return of the Roar” that was on *ugh* ESPN this last week? Tiger speaks directly about chasing on Sunday vs coming from behind and how the mindsets are different.

“Choking” doesn’t even come into it. It’s match play. As he said, “if I’m up and we tie, I win. If I’m chasing you, I have to be one hole, one stroke, better than you and I win. It’s simple math”
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Another view:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvHqTWHgRte/

"I saw you saw it!" Even Tiger thinks it's funny.

Live commentary of last years event by Nance and Tiger.

Tiger’s beard got him looking like Clyde fucking Drexler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2113191A-1118-4E58-80B9-7136A6F645FE.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	325022

Tiger has that square face look I have been seeing in the Kitty Stoke thread.

The Masters

All I wanted was pop a champagne and watch Sunday Masters.
    I just did that yesterday.

Hello Friends...

It's Masters Week.

No Sergio as he came down with COVID, wonder if any other big names will have to withdraw?

Well this is disheartening, I was hoping to see less Dechambeau during the Masters. Not trying to be a dick about the guy, but his demeanor on the course and his hulk-smash approach to the game are annoying to me.

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechamb...MfPANIY9sIVNaE

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Well this is disheartening, I was hoping to see less Dechambeau during the Masters. Not trying to be a dick about the guy, but his demeanor on the course and his hulk-smash approach to the game are annoying to me.

https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechamb...MfPANIY9sIVNaE
    Why though? I mean Tiger changed the game when he hit the scene too. Before Tiger it was overweight old guys in funny pants basically. Now its rare to see a fat guy on tour, sure there are a couple, but fewer...
    I like a guy creating a stir. He still has to get the ball in the same hole as the other guys in less strokes. Still remains to be seen how it holds up in the long run, sure looks like a lot of torque.

I have not been following the coverage, but I think it is going to be interesting to see how it plays in a different time of year with somewhat different conditions.