Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I’ve been working thru evolving my skiing from technical to more flowy. I’ve been running 0.5 on my skis forever. Just curious if 1.0 or 1.5 or whatever would make them lesser twitchy/hooky.

What are others using?
    I run .5 and 3. Have done .5 and 4. Always the proprietary crosshatrch structure from Mike Desantis. No problem with these setups in any sort of snow. Even Sierra Cement.

But, my bases are always flat with burr free edges.

Any base bevel larger than 1 harkens back to old fashioned WC DH tuning. You can run 2 degrees or greater, but the skis will only turn at higher speeds.

I once had some new (after market old stock from Ebay) Head 102 Monsters that only turned at warp speed. Mike told me they had a 4 degree base bevel. Yep. The factory fucked up. (Maybe they were blems.) We set them up .5 and 3. They worked fine after that.

A friend just had her 163 SG slalom board tuned at the local REI. It came back edge high with the base structure not across the entire base. Incompetent tuning guy. A lot of places have that high end Wintersteiger, but the folks running them are complete idiots.

You already know this. Bases flat. Edges burr free.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If you aren't running a 2 degree base edge bevel on your powder skis, you're blowing it.
    Can’t quite tell if you’re kidding or not. But how could edge bevel possibly matter in powder?

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Can’t quite tell if you’re kidding or not. But how could edge bevel possibly matter in powder?
    You don't use your side edge guide for the base?
    pff
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Mine are 1, 2. Because those are the tools I have. I own a 1° base bevel file guide, and 88° edge file guide.
    I have a single set of bevels, too. So I’m at 1:1.

I mostly spend time deburring and polishing edges with the bevel tools unless I’ve done some heavy rock damage.