Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Weird Places

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Those two towns, Price and Helper give me the creeps, I try to spend as little amount of time as possible in those two places driving to and from SE Utah/Colorado.

It's almost like Appalacia transplanted to the desert.
    Funny you mention Appalachia. I'm from VT which has pockets of Appalachia scattered throughout. And I was as on a motorcycle trip from here to BC on my visit through Price. I swung south down into Virginia and then west through West Virginia and Kentucky. And "this is just like where I been" was what hit me about my experience in Price. Same toothless geezers.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    FIFY
    This is what happens when professionals enter my crawl space.

http://youtu.be/n4X07rzEA9M

Barb, I’m sorry

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Hole in the wall diner in Price, Utah, 1992. I ate and GTFO. Whole town gave me the creeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Those two towns, Price and Helper give me the creeps, I try to spend as little amount of time as possible in those two places driving to and from SE Utah/Colorado.

It's almost like Appalacia transplanted to the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Helper actually has a really nice disc golf course that I like to play when passing through.
    When headed to or through those towns on rt6 set your cruise control at tha muthafacking speed limit. Dont try to pass. Just mosey through. Once in canyon above or desert below open it up. Speeding tix are their main revenue Those cops are assholes and love to shakedown hippy skier/biker types.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Titusville Florida's Searstown mall. Creepy creepers
    Bunny Don't Surf

Colorado City, AZ
    Seems like you are in an old pioneer village
    then you remember it's a cult
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Attachment 278126

This place- the Witch's House in Fox Point
    On the border with Mequon down on the Lake?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    When headed to or through those towns on rt6 set your cruise control at tha muthafacking speed limit. Dont try to pass. Just mosey through. Once in canyon above or desert below open it up. Speeding tix are their main revenue Those cops are assholes and love to shakedown hippy skier/biker types.
    Don't forget dear old Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Don't forget dear old Wellington.
    Indeed that whole stretch is full of bacon that is hungry for the green stuff.

Speaking of hungry Sheralds Drive-In in Price has bomb ass milkshake and bacon cheezburgers. Some good mtb trails around price from what I hear.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Chernobyl. Or any place where people just got the fuck up and left in a hurry.
    I still call it The Jake.

Not everything in decay or abandonment is creepy.

Personally I like the feeling of passing through small southern towns that have been long since left by those who went to the big city or were forced to adapt to a changing world. There's still a beauty and sense of history that is so strikingly different than decaying rural or company towns that dot the Midwest or Northeast. Is that Southern Gothic? Spooky? I don't know.

I do know that if you're any bit a fan of road tripping you have to at some point in your life see the South from behind the wheel; coastal and interior. Windows down, good music on the radio, ancient forgotten towns and stopping at every roadside bbq shack you pass.

Now you want creepy? Abandoned shopping malls. Akron's Rolling Acres Mall always comes to mind.

I still call it The Jake.

On the border with Mequon down on the Lake?
    Yuppers. On the border with Bayside, little south of Mequon, on the Lake. Beach Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Yuppers. On the border with Bayside, little south of Mequon, on the Lake. Beach Drive.
    Wow, hard to believe it's the same deal 45 years later. I used to ride my bike down there in various states of consciousness and check out that place. SHS 1974

Wow, hard to believe it's the same deal 45 years later. I used to ride my bike down there in various states of consciousness and check out that place. SHS 1974
    haha

Still the same, get baked and go check it out. Dominican't 78

My top two are from my first time on the west coast, before the internet came in to our lives:
    Tonopah, had to drive from Zion to Lake Taho and saw it on the map, it looked like half way and a pretty decent size town to stop for the night (not used to, in Europe or east coast, to have all little settlements on a map)... well we pumped gas and kept on driving.
    Second a gas station in the middle of nowhere in Utah with a big sign outside: Gas, Guns, Amo. No alcohol. ( for an European this is very weird)

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    the little after-hours ATM vestibule at some banks, the type you need to unlock with your card. super well lit, muzak playing, small/useless space...
    this is particularly weird in NYC late night, especially less traveled parts
    Bank is newish, ATM vestibule smells like homeless BO, maybe some urine, puke from that late night bender someone was on earlier in the week. But it LOOKS clean, you can even smell the disinfectant mixed in with the rest.
    And its a fishbowl, everyone outside can see you in there, is that dude waiting to use it himself? is that other guy looking to swoop in and crash here tonight as I open the door as he doesnt have a card? those 2 folks over there, I mean NYC is the safest big city in the world, but they look sketchy as fk....

Speaking of ATMs. I find this strange, but not creepy: In Germany I have seen where instead of a vestibule, they just have a metal and see through divider they extend to wall off part of the lobby during the off hours! I mean, they let you in the freaking bank when nobody is there! It's nuts. Sure, it's a lot more pleasant than the ol vestibule, or worse, open air ATM, that I am used to here in 'Murica.

We used to sneak into this old abandoned high school in suburban ATL when I was in middle school. It was walking distance from a friend's house, so we would sneak out every time we stayed the nigh at his place. Pretty sure a few homeless folks lived in there (mainly because of the stench of urine in some areas) but we never directly encountered anyone. There were hudge holes in the middle of some of the hallways that would drop to the floor below or the basement so a light was crucial. Everything echoed really loud so a pin drop would should like a cinder block. Even during the daytime, it was pitch black everywhere. Even the gym and lunch rooms were so dark that you felt like you were under ground. Someone else had gone in and spray painted all this satanic shit all over the walls and lockers and animal skulls were everywhere. Pretty creepy, especially to some 13 year old kids.

There was really only one entry, around the back side, through a boarded up window that we would crawl in through. This was also the only way out, which meant it took a few times for us to get the balls to go very far from that window. We'd carry tasers and pepper spray and whatever crude weapon we could come up with that we thought would help us if we were attacked, but never guns (which we actually had, and looking back that alone is pretty scary)because we were smart enough to know that we'd probably shoot each other before we shot anything trying to hurt us.

Eventually, we got comfortable enough walking around, drew some maps, and knew basically where we were going. We even started bringing our skateboards in and skating in the gym. One time we spent the night there too, built a little skate park in the gym and skated all night, mainly because we were too scared to go to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Chernobyl. Or any place where people just got the fuck up and left in a hurry.
    Southwest Anasazi cliff dwellings

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Indeed that whole stretch is full of bacon that is hungry for the green stuff.

Speaking of hungry Sheralds Drive-In in Price has bomb ass milkshake and bacon cheezburgers. Some good mtb trails around price from what I hear.

Oh man, in some of the less bright moments of my youth, I drove that stretch of US6/191 from Green River up to Spanish Fork with a pound or two of lettuce in the car probably a dozen times. I miss Utah dearly sometimes, but I think green state living is the only way to fly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Bozeman has very nice mountains, agreed.

I find "Art Gallerys" in touristy mountain towns to be strange, pedaling faux Native American/Mother Nature worship paintings (painted by white transplants) and live edge tables for thousands of dollars.

This shit:
    Attachment 278119
    That's an ugly dog!

Check out Google Earth images of Thompson Springs, UT. It looks like the radioactive uranium is literally seeping up from the ground on some properties. It's one of the creepiest towns I've seen, looks like no one could possibly live there, but I think some do. There's even an AirBnB listing.

I've spent time in Price/Helper/Thompson Springs/Green River/Huntington/Cleveland/Elmo, searching for weird places. I love it there and the towns aren't weird once you get to know them. They are just sleepy mormon desert towns, that's it. people are nice.

What's cool is the abandoned air force test sites, buried uranium mounds, old urnaium mines with rations and other abandoned things in them (and radon!), petroglyphs only locals know about, and all that. Here's some random pics from my times down there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imag8.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	283358

Name:	file1.jpg 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	283359

Name:	imag12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	283360

Name:	image2.jpg 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	283361

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	283362

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	283363

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	283364

Name:	image10.jpg 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	283365

Name:	image11.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	283366

Name:	image13.jpg 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	283367

Name:	image14.jpg 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	283368

Name:	image145.jpg 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	283369

I search out weird places all over, but I will say Hyder, Ak is one of the weirdest I've been to.

Guerneville Ca? Tweekers, river scum, hilljacks, and gays on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Guerneville Ca? Tweekers, river scum, hilljacks, and gays on vacation.
    Totally, was there 8 or 9 years ago and during the day not a bad place, at night the zombies come out

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

[QUOTE=muted;5676876]I've spent time in Price/Helper/Thompson Springs/Green River/Huntington/Cleveland/Elmo, searching for weird places. I love it there and the towns aren't weird once you get to know them. They are just sleepy mormon desert towns, that's it. people are nice.

What's cool is the abandoned air force test sites, buried uranium mounds, old urnaium mines with rations and other abandoned things in them (and radon!), petroglyphs only locals know about, and all that. Here's some random pics from my times down there.

Name:	imag8.jpg 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	283358

Ha - went into that Green River launch site a good 20yrs ago. Researched and found not only was it a static rocket test site, but they also launched Pershing Missiles from there over canyonlands and downed them at White Sands....quite a distance over populated areas!