Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Weird Places

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    augusta, never been but weird how it’s the Soul7 of golf.
    It’s even weirder when you see the rest of Augusta...the town.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Carbon, Dosewallips, etc.

Theories on both, without consensus... though the predominant one now suggests a slight climate shift led the already-tenuous agriculture to fail over a few generations. Pressure from other tribes was a likely factor, too. They moved out of the Colorado Plateau in the 12th and 13th centuries to follow rain. Solid archeological evidence in long-established sites up to like 1350, then nothing.
    Craig Childs has a few books about the SW and the 'ancients' and the possible reasons they 'disappeared'. Drought, and war caused by drought seem to be the prevailing theories. Seems they became the Pueblo tribes. Look him up. Great reads.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    At my dentist the hygienist measures my gums or something. An assistant sits off to the side with a tablet and the hygienist calls out 3, 3, 4, 2, 4, 3... but I can feel the hygienist's tool barely even touching half the teeth and she's going way too fast to actually measure anything. I think they do it just to sound like they're really doing something. In the 20 years I've been going there, no one has ever said, "You know, your numbers are going up. We need to..."

But I do think they have something similar to a Customer Relationship Management software and they take notes when you leave. No way she remembers the shit she does.
    She's measuring the recession of your gums. No ruler needed, just by eye.

Butte, MT.

What other town is so proud of its EPA toxic waste site that it has a visitors center?

And a giant Virgin Mary statue overseeing it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Butte, MT.

What other town is so proud of its EPA toxic waste site that it has a visitors center?
    Tri-Cities Washington (Hanford)! They've got the most polluted nuclear waste site in the US and it's a National Park to boot!

Hanford, WA Site - Manhattan Project National Historical Site
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Tri-Cities Washington (Hanford)! They've got the most polluted nuclear waste site in the US.
    Yeah but is there a deck overlooking a giant sludge pit?

Yeah but is there a deck overlooking a giant sludge pit?
    you can tour the B-reactor. That's gotta count for something - a little radiation with your sightseeing.

Here's a virtual tour that you can take from the safety of your home/office with no risk of radioactivity:

http://nonplused.org/panos/b_reactor/index.html

and there is this:

B Reactor Museum Association
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    you can tour the B-reactor. That's gotta count for something - a little radiation with your sightseeing.

Here's a virtual tour that you can take from the safety of your home/office with no risk of radioactivity:

http://nonplused.org/panos/b_reactor/index.html

and there is this:

B Reactor Museum Association
    I've been reading A River Lost about the Columbia and the last few nights the author is talking about the Handford site and all of the shit that went down there and the politics surrounding it. Very interesting. Glad I'm not a downwinder.

I've been reading A River Lost about the Columbia and the last few nights the author is talking about the Handford site and all of the shit that went down there and the politics surrounding it. Very interesting. Glad I'm not a downwinder.
    I have a friend who is a firefighter at Hanford. He has to wear two different Geiger counter thingies that get monitored hourly to track his exposure to radiation.

At my dentist the hygienist measures my gums or something. An assistant sits off to the side with a tablet and the hygienist calls out 3, 3, 4, 2, 4, 3... but I can feel the hygienist's tool barely even touching half the teeth and she's going way too fast to actually measure anything. I think they do it just to sound like they're really doing something. In the 20 years I've been going there, no one has ever said, "You know, your numbers are going up. We need to..."

But I do think they have something similar to a Customer Relationship Management software and they take notes when you leave. No way she remembers the shit she does.
    thats a depth of gum thing. They can do that with very little feeling to you. Its weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    thats a depth of gum thing. They can do that with very little feeling to you. Its weird though.
    4's and 5's get you a root planing.
    Got one last year.
    They poked around yesterday.
    They like doing that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Still calling bullshit on it. Waaaaay too fast to be really measuring anything. And let's face it, the whole 6 mo check up/cleaning is a scam. I know all you fuckers are financing your Aspen trip with this shit.

Butte, MT.
    i like that Butte (Poisonville, USA) is decaying resource extraction west with it's pollution, old buildings, rot and vacant lots and not some interchangeable shithole yuppie neuwest crapfest of organic bbq paleo winebars..... but I'm weird.

the dystopian spread of the crap minimalist aesthetic to everything yuppie is distinctly weird. not that we need to go high victorian clutter, just damnit, stop with shit slab furniture everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    i like that Butte (Poisonville, USA) is decaying resource extraction west with it's pollution, old buildings, rot and vacant lots and not some interchangeable shithole yuppie neuwest crapfest of organic bbq paleo winebars..... but I'm weird.

the dystopian spread of the crap minimalist aesthetic to everything yuppie is distinctly weird. not that we need to go high victorian clutter, just damnit, stop with shit slab furniture everything.
    I like it too.

Bozeman makes me gag.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    4's and 5's get you a root planing.
    Got one last year.
    They poked around yesterday.
    They like doing that shit.
    thankfully im not there yet and may have caught the mild gum disease early enough. There is some bone loss, but no grafting will be done and no teeth in immediate danger of falling out.. I go in for a couple trouble teeth that will need some Novocaine to clean next week.

Always fun times. I especially love it when the Doc decides he's going to tell me when he hits a tooth that the gums bleed on profusely. like I dont need that info doc, but thanks.

I like it too.

Bozeman makes me gag.
    Ditto x 3. I've always had a blast in Butte and love it's quirky, gritty charm. Happened to stop in town during Knievel Days and man, that was something else. I'm sure it has everything to do with it's mining culture and strong Irish heritage, but there's a certain feistiness that Butte has that very few others have. Haven't made it yet, but I've heard that St. Patty's Day there is pretty bonkers. Def on my bucket list.

I'll take the drunken, feisty, poor mining town ANY time over the manbun-infested, trust funder, hipsterlopolis that Bozeman has become.

Which is too bad, because fkna it was a wonderful place to grow up. Things were noticably different (to me) by the early 2000s.

The mountains and rivers still rule despite the Big Sky Trustafari, the highly visible minority ever side-eyed by long-time locdogs... lest the inhabitants be conflated with the landscape.

So in that way, Gentrified Bozeman is pretty fuckin weird now.

Bozeman has very nice mountains, agreed.

I find "Art Gallerys" in touristy mountain towns to be strange, pedaling faux Native American/Mother Nature worship paintings (painted by white transplants) and live edge tables for thousands of dollars.

This shit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multi-colored-greatbigcanvas-canvas-art-2522683-24-20x16-64_1000.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	278119

crawl spaces.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I visited a friend in Tampa in the late 80’s. He was in a band and I went to see them play at a place in what they called CarnyTown. It’s where all the carnys go in the winter

Marfa ,Texas and Whittier, Alaska
    off your knees Louie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	832.7 KB 
ID:	278126

This place- the Witch's House in Fox Point

Two things:

This place is straight up weird:
    Say When
    McDermitt, NV 89421
    (775) 532-8515
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/6QnYL

And, this place rocks:
    Mr. Hot Dogs

1806 Cobban St, Butte, MT 59701
    (406) 490-3220

https://g.co/kgs/pHJnfi

I love exploring nooks and crannies in the West.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Those two towns, Price and Helper give me the creeps, I try to spend as little amount of time as possible in those two places driving to and from SE Utah/Colorado.

It's almost like Appalacia transplanted to the desert.
    Helper actually has a really nice disc golf course that I like to play when passing through.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    commonlaw's crawl space.
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........