Mt. Hood ski race camp suggestions?

Mini Comish is interested in a Mt. Hood camp this summer. He is 10, will be a 2nd year U12 from the Mammoth team. He is doing a bunch of Mammoth Team camps this spring/summer as well. One of his buddies on the team did a few weeks at Hood last summer and leap frogged Mini Comish this year which is likely the driving interest, plus just a general love of being on snow and looking to get more days in. We didn't get too much gate training in this year as we basically skied pow from mid Jan for 2 months. Not complaining and he is ripping the pow, but he loves skiing gates and wants more.

Anyone sent kids to any particular camps? Feedback, good or bad?

Given our summer logistics looking primarily at Ligety Weibrecht or NASC because they have weeks that slot between the Mammoth camp and a family surf trip to Hawaii (celebrating my parents 50th anniversary!) Lucky kid is gonna have a fun summer, I'm jealous!
    He who has the most fun wins!

I went to MHSSC for 5 years and worked there for 3. Coaching is solid, won’t lie the rest of the camp can be super sketchy. Been on busses several times went the brakes were 2 PSI from failure and had the engines go multiple times. Super fun place, and one of my favorite memories from growing up but Party Beach and Ligety etc. are definitely better equipped. PM and if ya got any questions in particuar.

With the amount of snow Mammoth has they’ll be open until July. There’s got to be camps he can go to there. I would say at 10 don’t bother with Hood. If it’s a must I’d highly recommend a smaller camp. Ligety or Party Beach. NASC is a complete waste of $$.

Always wanted to go to ski camp out there growing up. Never could

Spent 8 straight summers there for work and hope to never go back.

Definitely a smaller camp will be more beneficial for a U12. When you've got anywhere from 10-18 year olds at a camp, that requires a lot of hill space due to different course requirements, gate sizes, etc. and hill space is $$$. I think the U12 contingent of the camps (at least when I was out there) were the smallest, meaning they either got tossed into older kid courses or suffered with less gates than the other age groups.

I bet Ligety-Weibrecht and stuff that size is best like others suggested above.

Ask his Mammoth coaches which they'd recommend. I'm sure there are guys and gals there that know people running camps.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    mhssc has their own lanes and park m-f. limiting factors for gate time is warm mush snow and kid clogged lift lines.
    Unfortunately, in my experience, outside of South America/NZ, that's the case for any Northern Hemisphere ski camp, be it Whistler, Hood, or Europe

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    With the amount of snow Mammoth has they’ll be open until July. There’s got to be camps he can go to there. I would say at 10 don’t bother with Hood. If it’s a must I’d highly recommend a smaller camp. Ligety or Party Beach. NASC is a complete waste of $$.

Always wanted to go to ski camp out there growing up. Never could

Spent 8 straight summers there for work and hope to never go back.
    Yep, we will be skiing until at least July 4th at Mammoth. He is doing the Mammoth June camp through the team, but wants to do more. Haven't found any others there yet...

Just curious, what makes NASC a complete waste of $$$? PM is fine if you prefer? So far haven't heard anything negative on Ligety???

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Yep, we will be skiing until at least July 4th at Mammoth. He is doing the Mammoth June camp through the team, but wants to do more. Haven't found any others there yet...

Just curious, what makes NASC a complete waste of $$$? PM is fine if you prefer? So far haven't heard anything negative on Ligety???
    Keep in mind the snow starts getting pretty shitty in mid July with LONG lift lines on Palmer. If you have Mammoth available you might save your money for a fall camp or new gear for next season. Lots of kids end up on Palmer because it's the thing to do without skills to justify attending an off season camp, no different than any other pay to play club sport these days. You don't know the skill sets of kids that end up at ANY camp so it'll be a complete crap shoot of what kind of coaching you'l receive depending on the median skill level of the group.

My kids have done Ligety and Tichy. The Tichy camp is way better from a coaching and fun standpoint. Martin puts out a great product.

The late fall copper Mt camp is super high yield as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    My kids have done Ligety and Tichy. The Tichy camp is way better from a coaching and fun standpoint. Martin puts out a great product.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Problem is the Tichy camp is full the week he could attend. Would you send your kids to Ligety again, if Tichy wasn't an option?

My girl just turned 9 last weekend but subscribed. Curious as well so thanks for posting the question. Definitely not something we will be doing for a couple years though.

Ted supposedly does coach, but not the session we are looking at. Weibrecht is there that session. That said, with 40 kids, you aren't going to get a ton of either's time. They don't really say who the majority of the rest of the coaches are...

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Signed my kid up for Tichy based solely on this assessment. Just dropped him off and I didn't want to leave. Doubt he will want to leave either, but at least he has a week. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Slightly off-topic, but are the lift lines horrible on a weekday? Had considered going there on a Friday in August.

Somewhat discouraged to make the trip from Seattle if I am waiting in long lines for mushy snow.

I bumped a thread on Palmer Conditions in the general forum.

I am glad everyone has been happy with their camps. I wanted to mention MHRTA. My kids haven’t done the summer camp yet, but their winter programs are top notch coaching, so check them out as an option too.

https://www.mthoodacademy.org/

I took my kids to Windells/high cascade - we all had a blast. I know it is not racing, but my kids me Olympians, their skate park and whole campus is amazing. The adult camp had a vending machine with beers for a nickel. (10 barrel brewing) It may not be racing, but your kid (and you) will have a great time.

Years ago I worked for mhssc, the owner, is an asshole and I would never give him a fucking dime. I had vans with broken doors and no lights, rafts with holes and bikes with no brakes. granted this was in the 90's, but I would never send my kids there.

One kid went to les deux alps last summer and there were lots of Italian races there. Different continent, but it is an alternative.