Road trip - Fernie to Vancouver via MT/ID/WA

I’m planning a road trip for June, from Vancouver to Fernie then back to Vancouver. I think we’re going to drive to Fernie on the Canadian side and make some stops along the way to ride. I’m pretty familiar with where to go.

But to mix it up, we were thinking of driving back through the US. I have zero knowledge of that area so I’m hoping people can point me in the right direction. We will probably leave Fernie Wednesday morning and aim to be back in Van Sunday night, so 5 days.

What are some spots we should check out, and what are some good towns/areas to visit along the way? I’m with my wife. Thinking more fun-for-all, scenic rides and a scenic driving route. I was thinking of swinging though Leavenworth but otherwise have no clue where to go.

Or should we just stay in BC?

Well, at the Western end of the return you could hit Winthrop, then continue over WA pass, (route 20), and hit the trails around Bellingham before you head back home. When you leave Fernie you could stop in Rossland, and do the 7 summits trail.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

For that drive, go south of the border for easier driving, but stay north of the border for better riding.

Don't get me wrong, there's some decent stuff on the u.s. side. But there's more good stuff that's easier to come by on the b.c. side.

From fernie, hit nelson, castlegar, rossland. Then maybe pop up to the Vernon / Kelowna area. Then hit the stuff east of Vancouver.

^^^ I agree, I was thinking if he really wants to visit the US... Rossland, Winthrop, and Bellingham are all about 3 hours apart from each other, and are cool towns in their own right,

Yeah, it's just to do/see something different. We've driven Highway 1 and Highway 3 in BC many times and wouldn't mind mixing it up. It kind of looks like there's a whole lot of flat stuff in Eastern Washington, though.

maybe down to whitefish after fernie?

It's not flat in Eastern Washington, but that stretch from Rossland to Winthrop is devoid of anything remotely fun to do, unless you like redneck activities. Driving way South to Spokane isn't worth it IMHO. There will probably still be skiing at WA pass if you come in early June. This year's a little iffy with lower than usual snowpack.

I don't think much of MT high country will be riding by then but I am not sure how quickly Kettle Crest dries out in Eastern WA -- that's been on my bucket list for a while, but I gather trail maintenance can be spotty from year to year...

This is where we get mad about Long Canyon.

Yeah, if you're just looking for something different, from fernie go to whitefish, over to cda/spokane (maybe through Thompson Falls on the way), skip through the flat stuff and head over to Leavenworth, then to Bellingham.

High stuff won't be clear in june at least in MT and ID, so you'll be limited to lower and mid elevation rides, but there's still plenty of options.

That part when you come into america and then re-enter BC........

hide me in your trunk

america keeps outlawing fun
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rider View Post
    I don't think much of MT high country will be riding by then but I am not sure how quickly Kettle Crest dries out in Eastern WA -- that's been on my bucket list for a while, but I gather trail maintenance can be spotty from year to year...
    Kettle Crest tends to get cleared of blowdown late June early July. Locals post updates on Trailforks. It's high-quality

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Kettle Crest tends to get cleared of blowdown late June early July. Locals post updates on Trailforks. It's high-quality
    Cool. We may be there a bit too early...

http://www.whitefishbikeretreat.com/

stop by for some trail beta and a beer/ice cream. Or stay overnight

A guy I know did a road trip to the Leavenworth - Twisp area in June a couple years ago. Pics looked awesome. Not sure what kind of snow year they're having. Some stuff in MT doesn't open up until June-July.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    A guy I know did a road trip to the Leavenworth - Twisp area in June a couple years ago. Pics looked awesome. Not sure what kind of snow year they're having. Some stuff in MT doesn't open up until June-July.
    Leavenworth & Twisp are about 110 miles apart, anyway the ride that a lot of people like to do in between there is called Angel’s Staircase and that doesn’t open up till late July, maybe.

High elevation snowpack in the Idaho panhandle is a bit below normal and melting fast, so I'm guessing most things around here will come in a little sooner than normal, FWIW. As much as snow, blowdown and early maintenance decide what opens when around here, so local beta near the time would be important. If you decide to head west from Whitefish through Troy or Thompson Falls/Sandpoint feel free to drop me a PM. Lots of moderate options.