Cochise Replacement

I’m trying to take advantage of end of season sales to replace my 16/17 delaminated Cochise. I’ve narrowed it down to the Cochise, Enforcer 110 and the NMX 105 HP.
    Any advice for a everyday driver at Big Sky?

Dynastar Legend Pro/Pro Rider/Whatever it's called now.

But in all seriousness, is the 16/17 Cochise super different from the current version? If it's not, why change if you like it?

what do you like and not like about Cochise?

I’m 60 years old and 160 pounds. As much as I love the ski sometimes I feel like I’m working to hard to get it around in narrow steep crud

I know it's blashemy, but a shorter Cochise? I've picked up a few shorter used skis lately and been digging them.

Interesting thought. When I initially demoed them I preferred the 185 to the 178. I demoed the Nordica in 185 and 191. I preferred the shorter ski. Both felt hooky to me but now I’m wondering if it was a tuning issue since the reviews I’ve read don’t comment on this. I’ve only had a day on the BMX. So far that’s my lean. This was a 181 as the shop didn’t have the 189.

Quote Originally Posted by skiburgher View Post
    I’m 60 years old and 160 pounds. As much as I love the ski sometimes I feel like I’m working to hard to get it around in narrow steep crud
    same ski shorter, or the zeroG108 (lighter and a bit softer) in the same size?

Thanks

Just my $0.02, but I think a shorter charger can be preferable to a longer playful ski for all-mtn junky snow. For pow long and soft is fine, but for crud the short charger will have some backbone and still be nimble. Sure, you loose the top end of a long stiff ski, but how often do most of us really need that top end?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 04-09-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Just my $0.02, but I think a shorter charger can be preferable to a longer playful ski for all-mtn junky snow. Sure, for pow long and soft is fine, but for crud the short charger will have some backbone and still be nimble. Sure, you loose the top end of a long stiff ski, but how often do most of us really need that top end?
    A great point! I’ve ruled out the Nordica for that reason. The question is whether the Cochise charges better than the Kastle?
    Thanks

same size as you but older and as oposed to the usual TGR dentist "I am an ex racer" I never raced/probably suck but I'm on the Blue n red 185 cochise which seems pretty good to me

IME/IMO people should get the correct size of ski for their bulk

new kid at the hill always calls them cochice which sounds kinda wierd but i don't have the heart to tell buddy to talk properly FFS eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There are a few ON3P wren 114s left. With discount code you can get them for $550. If you want a shorter charger the 179 may be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by skiburgher View Post
    A great point! I’ve ruled out the Nordica for that reason. The question is whether the Cochise charges better than the Kastle?
    Thanks
    Cochise charges better, Kastle better in pow. (according to Blister)
    Rustler 10 as a more mellow alternative? Probably better pow performance as well. New BC Corvus in 183 also sounds like a slightly lighter (OG) cochise?

Blister is only reviewing the BMX without the metal. I also think Kastle has changed the wood core since the review.

Kästle (HP, with metal) charges as well as Cochise but is more locked into turn. Better in powder, though. Corvus can be pushed almost as hard as Cochise and Kästle but isn’t as smooth and damp. Had/have every one of them. You can basically do nothing wrong with any.

Great. I was hoping someone could do head to head for me. I can get the BMX for $750. I kind of like the shorter radius and slightly lighter weight. Seems like it’s worth a try. If I have some luck epoxying my Cochise I get some diversity out of the deal as well.

It’s worth looking at the Moment Commander 108. I have a full season on these now and have skied both Cochise versions for years. The Commander has a more centered mount and a shorter turn radius which makes it more versatile in tighter terrain, but it also arcs large gs turns much better than the Cochise. The Commander 108 is lighter, stiffer and has more energy than the Cochise. At your size, I would definitely consider the 178.

That was on my list as well but I didn’t have the opportunity to demo it

I have the older Cochise 193, the all blue pre-black tip version. Also have the BMX 105 HP 189. I like them both but are quite different. Cochise chargers harder. Definitely likes a little more speed to perform. Is better on the firm yet still good in the soft. The Cadillac ride. HP is really fun in the soft and maybe a little more nimble. Cochise likes a slightly forward pressure stance, the HP not at all. I blame that on the HP having too much tip taper maybe? The stiff tail and short feeling front half of the HP make it feel like it has a small sweet spot on hard snow. 6' @ 220 for reference.
    Last edited by Fred Pabst; 04-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.

I’ve got my epoxy and heavy duty clamps on the way to repair my Cochise so I can hopefully have the best of both worlds. My understanding is that my newer Cochise may be softer than yours particularly in the tips. How old are your BMX’s?

thanks