Shrinking Boot Liner?

Seems like a silly question. But I was wondering if I purchased a pair of second hand boots that have heat molded liners. Would it be possible to shrink them? Washing machine? Freeze?

Be gentle.

you can remold liners but what/why are you trying to shrink? does your foot need more room in the boot or is there too much room and you want a closer fit???

I would first do a shell fit to see if its the boot is the right size so put your bare foot in the shell with no liner,

put your toe just touching the front of the shell and measure for 9-15 mm behind your foot, I like to use a sharpie felt marker cuz its 15mm

In addition to the most important correct shell fit, consider that some boots work best with a certain type of foot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The liner might puff back up when heated. Depends on the type of liner, how many times it has been baked, and how much it has been skied.

I know I fit a Scarpa Freedom SL Size 27.5 with a BSL of 317. I found a pair of Size 28's used with the same BSL (Same Shell). So I was wondering if It was a big deal to try to shrink down the size 28 liner to a 27.5. Otherwise the boots are identical in the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you can remold liners but what/why are you trying to shrink? does your foot need more room in the boot or is there too much room and you want a closer fit???

I would first do a shell fit to see if its the boot is the right size so put your bare foot in the shell with no liner,

put your toe just touching the front of the shell and measure for 9-15 mm behind your foot, I like to use a sharpie felt marker cuz its 15mm

In addition to the most important correct shell fit, consider that some boots work best with a certain type of foot

Quote Originally Posted by dills84 View Post
    I know I fit a Scarpa Freedom SL Size 27.5 with a BSL of 317. I found a pair of Size 28's used with the same BSL (Same Shell). So I was wondering if It was a big deal to try to shrink down the size 28 liner to a 27.5. Otherwise the boots are identical in the shell.
    So you want to expand the liner to take up more space. If you have a good shell fit (per xxx-er), you have nothing to lose by trying to re-mold them.

As @ISBD commented, there are a lot of variables as to whether the foam will expand again.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I would bet the 28 liner will work

is the shells are the same, either liner will feel the same in the end (will stretch as needed)

please make sure the boots are not too big for you anyways. 10-15mm shell fit MAX

just jam it not jelly it in
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Both my alpine and AT boots are suposed to be .5 bigger in the same shell size and its a non issue

Swapping the pwrwrap liners from a 24 Mercury to a 24.5 Vulcan in what should have been the exact same shell, I actualy had to get the Pwrwraps remolded to the Vulcan shell cuz they were just too tight,

even tho the liner was 3 yars old Tom at Intuition did not want to sell me new liners, buddy told me to come back in a few years

my size 24 Dalbello surge ( 4 buckle alpine with pwr wraps) are packed out to where my 24.5 surge (free ski boots from a Mag!) fit tighter than the 24 which is suposed to be a .5 size smaller

Quote Originally Posted by dills84 View Post
    Otherwise the boots are identical in the shell.
    After 6 minutes in the oven, the liners will be identical, too.