Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thread drift...

But, if you are someone who still wants a manual, the Alltrack is great and they're giving these away! $20k, new, AWD/Manual/Turbo: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0191/overview/

Throw another $999 into it and you have a GTI-spec AWD wagon - https://www.goaprplus.com/#golf

I agree with arlid in concept, but manuals are a fun, dying breed if you don't care about a few extra 1/10s off your 0-60

Jesus, that's a lot of car for the money.

Or you could just buy a red Honda HR-V.....

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    We would use it for:
    -Skiing
    -Biking
    -60 mile R/T daily commute
    -Kid hauling round town
    -Putting in our boat once a year (beg./end of season)
    If this is a financial decision, don't. You're looking to put a lot of commuter miles on an expensive car. Unwise.
    If you're not worried about the money, do.
    IOW, how frankly pretty concerned about the cost to own are you?

Anyone run a BMW X5 Diesel?

The clanging engine sound on X5 diesel turned me off immediately. It drove disconnected and had delayed throttle response. Power band pull was strong, that’s about it.
    Went with MDX after testing everything. With MDX have better driving (no bs) 22 mpg and zero maintenance issues for the 55k I’ve driven.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2386.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	343.4 KB 
ID:	280130

Own a 2010 with 210k km, biggest issue is all the emission controls. The whole urea (addblue) system is shit. There are two tanks, active and passive, both have sensors that get fucked with urea crystallization as so other components in this system. So does bmw sell the sensor, nope, please buy the entire $2+k tank and replace. $300 workaround with a VW part worked great but it lead to the urea pump not working either, $900 cad plus install. Long story short, great car, diesel saved us about $1000/ year in fuel cost over gas, but the damn emission systems cost over $2500 to resolve so over three years just about broke even on diesel savings.

If you can get one that had the emission system fixed (or deleted if you are OK polluting the fuck out of the environment) then I’d say go for it. Otherwise the high mileage ones will kill you with emission systems repairs.

Also, the original owner spent like $5k on a dealer walnut wash for carbon build up in the engine at 150 k km, apparently a regular occurrence. This is what convinced me to buy as he has just had that and some other services done.

Otherwise great ride. Expensive wear and tear, the most expensive tires I’ve ever bought in my 30 plus years driving ( and they weren’t even the run flats!) but I signed up for the ride knowing that.

Otherwise no real issues, but there is a shit load of other systems in this car that make all sort of funny noises but all still thankfully work.

I guess if you have never owed a BMW and you can get a good deal with all know issues looked at I would go for it as it is a truly impressive driving machine that is worth experiencing. That being said, it’s my wife’s car and now that I’ve experienced it, I prefer my little tdi wagon for most short trips were I don’t need to tow or haul a car load of people around. She just did a 2 week business trip and the x5 sat in the driveway and wasn’t used once.

In addition to all this, all diesels have a particular filter which had to be charged at 100,000 miles it so and it costs 4,000 usd. All the savings from better mileage gone.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Here are some lurking costs you may want to consider.....
    I backed into this 2011 Xdrive 5 series. Let the guy pick his body shop which ended up not being a new bmw dealer....no hood damage or repair needed, no engine damage, still cost $3,500. A lot of bumps and bruises happen in Winter driving as we all know. Bmw parts whether aftermarket or oem are not cheap. (Used might bring costs down.) Vs. 1 complete door skin, paint and body for two doors, rocker panel on a Tundra was about $2400 in another incident involving a snowmobile...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bimmerbummer.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	280215
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Carbon cleaning is pretty much a must for all vag/bmw direct injection engines, and probably every other DI engine beyond the german ones. 5K sound excessive. Most audi engines can be done for under 800cad.

Chiming in here although I don't know much about the X5. I do own an X3 diesel 2016 (bought low mileage in 2017). I've been loving it. Great range, decent mileage and the thing is unstoppable in shitty driving conditions (like snow and ice which I go through a lot). Tons of room when you put the back seats down and the wife totally loves the car too (she drives it more than I).

Hopefully all the bad shit I read on this thread doesn't happen to me/my car...
    Anyway, my $0.25.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

My non-statistical analysis says you’ll be OK. The few X3’s I know are great, and most X5’s I know have had some issues.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I don't know anything about the X5, but I'm on my 6th year on another BMW diesel. A 5 series wagon (Euro style, not for sale in US etc yada yada yada)

Anyway, point it. This diesel has been pretty good to own. In six years, it has only had one major problem, which was the turbo failing and those are usually ridicule expensive no matter what brand your car is. The powerband is great. Lots of torque and it revs better than you would expect. The only thing I dont like, is the sound. You have a cool car, then you start the engine, and it sounds like a tractor. The sound of lucifer you may say. Inside the car, you can't really tell, so it's all good. But deep inside of you, you know what it sounds like on the outside..

They can be straight piped and sound pretty mean. I like the sound and love the torque. 2011 335d msport was my white buffalo. Never made it happen. Euroland 550d is a mean machine

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    My non-statistical analysis says you’ll be OK. The few X3’s I know are great, and most X5’s I know have had some issues.
    Sweet, thanks. So apologies for thread jack/drift but we're nearing end of warranty (80,000km) and wondering if anyone knows of things we should have them look at (fix) specifically as the car hits that mark?

I'm thinking of taking it to a different (non affiliated) BMW shop and paying them to do a serious checkup on it just prior to 80k. Thoughts on this?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!