Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Nobody put up data so didn't log it

Serious thread hijack, but if Scarpa Maestrale 2.0 are too tight in the forefoot in 28.5 despite repeated 6th toe punches, what boot do I want in the 1400-1600 weight class?

I keep thinking the problem is solved but either because the plastic keeps recessing, it never actually fits totally correctly or because my foot grows by 1 mm between punches I’m back to hobbling around post ski day due to pain on the exterior side of my forefoot (left is much worse than right). The length is perfect.

Things that make it better include undoing the bottom buckle closure and staying in walk mode.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    staying in walk mode.
    I wonder if they have too much forward lean and are putting more pressure on your forefoot because of it?

undoing the bottom buckle closure
    I have to do this too.

Unbuckled for upgo, buckle for the downgo, unbuckle asap.
    No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    I have to do this too.

Unbuckled for upgo, buckle for the downgo, unbuckle asap.
    No big deal.
    Is this a general characteristic of AT boots? I ask because I hate traveling with extra boots so I do end up using them (+ shift mounted skis) in resort sometimes which limits the chance for my foot to rest going uphill. If it's one of the tradeoffs from the class I suppose I can try to adjust. This is my first season touring and I've had fun with it but am still JONG level about lots of backcountry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I wonder if they have too much forward lean and are putting more pressure on your forefoot because of it?
    Great idea, will try pushing them back 1-2 degrees to see if it helps. Certainly part of the pressure feels like it's from the tongue compressing the top of my foot. I could believe my general fatness is causing some deformation in the lower on harder surfaces (especially if I'm using lifts to get uphill for part of the day).

Is this a general characteristic of AT boots?
    in my experience, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    At this time, there are none at evo to try on in your size. Come over to my house next time you are on the West side and you can try the Hawx Ultra XTD and Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, both made wider in the forefoot in 26.5 - as you know, I ski inbounds in the XT Free LV 26.5.
    I ski in the freetour 130.

I like the way it skis.

Is the zg pro similar in stiffness and is it as progressive in flex?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

In other words, does it ski as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    In other words, does it ski as well?

Only one day on ZG Tour Pros. They ski remarkably similarly to my first year XT 130 Freetours - stiffness, flex progressiveness, flat stance.

They have me considering retiring my Freetours, but I'd have to convert two Pivot 14 Dual WTRs to Wardens.

Others will say that I'd lose precision with the rubber sole. Maybe ... maybe not.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski in the freetour 130. I like the way it skis. Is the zg pro similar in stiffness and is it as progressive in flex?
    I have way more days in the XT Free 130 LV (I had the OG Freetour as well) than the Zero G Tour Pro, and for "just skiing" I slightly prefer the Lange. For going uphill, there is no contest - the Zero G wins by a longshot on both weight and range of cuff motion.

Flex is different. The stock Tecnica (meaning with powerstrap done and snug) is stiffer in the first 5-10 degrees of the range and not quite so stiff at the end of the range. Keep in mind neither boot is a "130" on my RS 130 scale, but the Tecnica feels slightly stiffer through the normal ski range. Part of the reason the Zero G TP feels less precise is no doubt the ISO 9523 touring sole, but I spend more time going uphill in it than down and almost never ski lifts in it. The XT Free 130 is my downhill boot for everything but race skis, and makes a great "demo" boot because of the combination of flat ISO 5355 sole and tech fittings.

As usual, it's hard to compare an 1800 gram boot with a 1300 gram boot, as weight definitely makes a difference at speed and in difficult snow.

I have way more days in the XT Free 130 LV (I had the OG Freetour as well) than the Zero G Tour Pro, and for "just skiing" I slightly prefer the Lange. For going uphill, there is no contest - the Zero G wins by a longshot on both weight and range of cuff motion.

Flex is different. The stock Tecnica (meaning with powerstrap done and snug) is stiffer in the first 5-10 degrees of the range and not quite so stiff at the end of the range. Keep in mind neither boot is a "130" on my RS 130 scale, but the Tecnica feels slightly stiffer through the normal ski range. Part of the reason the Zero G TP feels less precise is no doubt the ISO 9523 touring sole, but I spend more time going uphill in it than down and almost never ski lifts in it. The XT Free 130 is my downhill boot for everything but race skis, and makes a great "demo" boot because of the combination of flat ISO 5355 sole and tech fittings.

As usual, it's hard to compare an 1800 gram boot with a 1300 gram boot, as weight definitely makes a difference at speed and in difficult snow.
    I defer to Greg (both because he's Greg as well as his having more days on both boots).

I do want to add come context to my earlier comment, as well as note that I'm a bit OCD about some things while others are below my awareness threshold.

Things that bug me:
    • Too much stack height.
    • Too much ramp angle.
    • Lack of progressive flex

Things that are below my threshold:
    • "Lack" of power transfer.

I find myself tuning the flex of my boots for a particular day and snow conditions by varying the tightness of the power strap and the top two buckles. So, I'm likely "guilty" of making the Zero-Gs feel like my OG XT 130s. I find this to be non-trivial, and make minor adjustments early in the day to suit the conditions and how I'm feeling.

Also, take into account that I'm not the sort who "needs"a 140 flex boot to tour in. I was quite happy driving my GPOs with my Mango Maestrales. Had they fit me better, I wouldn't have seen the need to swap them out. Do I drive skis better with burlier boots? Sure. I never could get the Maestrales tight enough around my narrow heels and bony ankles and the Zero-Gs were a welcome improvement in fit.

As an aside, I'm amazed at how the touring range has improved over the past 5 years. When I picked up my OG Freetours, the fact that such a burly boot had a similar range of motion to Maestrales was a revelation. Similarly, the Z-G Pro Tours' range was an eye opener. Most of you knew that.

As far as power transfer is concerned, I've never noticed a difference between a rubber sole and a plastic AFD contact point. Vipecs feel plenty fine to me, and honestly, I don't notice the difference between them and my Pivots (using my OG XT 130s). Call me a weenie. Obviously others notice this.

I need to get on some of my Warden mounted skis to re-test this (rubber soles) with them. Users of Wardens take note - there are rubber gaskets between the binding and the ski. One man's shock absorption is another man's lack of "power transfer"

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Galibier Design

Skied s Tecnica guide pro, yellow with black cuff, today, 3 depends, 2 runs each, back to back comparing with my Lange free tour 130.

I thought i was able to hold a better edge with the guide pro. Partly perhaps because the Langes have some slop in the pivots.

Anyway, I'm sold.

OP whatever you do, demo first....
    when that wave of advanced AT boots came out in like 2006 or 2007 i.e. dynafit, BD, scarpa, etc I demo'd every brand....i came up with dynafit as my perfect boot....had Lange alpine and red garmont touring {sucked in hindsight} prior to this ...... after i demo'd everything I bought the dynafit Zzeus, bought some backups on tgr, and have skied one version or another of dynafit till this day , got some new back ups too.... lol, no more separate alpine and touring, i wear the same boot for everything, even snow mobile accessed skiing where i run the sled with them on, and my life is just a bit simpler because of this... so, over a decade with essentially the same boot because i demo'd everything....there were no more questions after that, and, now i dont care what's new that comes out with other brands, i'm set....hope this helps
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I skied on next years FT Ascendent’s today at Killington, was pretty blown away at how well it skis, for being as comfortable as it is. And the full on Vegas Elvis White is badass.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Pretty sure Leavenworth Skier would be appalled by how roomy the Ascendant and current Dynafits (Hoji, TLT7) are . . .

Pretty sure Leavenworth Skier would be appalled by how roomy the Ascendant and current Dynafits (Hoji, TLT7) are . . .
    I need foot prisons.

These are good boots. Seem plenty stiff. Walk mode is very smooth. Fit is decent, glad I went 27 not 26. Stoked

Sent from my SM-T280 using TGR Forums mobile app

What's the quality of the flex like compared to the Vulcan?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm in the scout. Way more Lange like, I'd say carpet flex is similar to rx130 at top, maybe a bit stiffer up top but not quite as supportive at the bottom. I can make the shell bellow a bit.

Vulcans with tongue are a bit stiffer but these are stiffer than a Vulcan without tongue. And either way it's a better quality flex.

Boot feels a tad upright, going to adjust to the 13 degree angle.

Liner is very thin and poorly padded on the shin. I would like to go intuition asap.

In a 26.5 Lange with a bunch of punches. I went with the 27.5 Zero G. Happy with the fit, about a 1.5 finger. Tight in the right spots but more toe room than my langes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I'm in the scout. Way more Lange like, I'd say carpet flex is similar to rx130 at top, maybe a bit stiffer up top but not quite as supportive at the bottom. I can make the shell bellow a bit.

Vulcans with tongue are a bit stiffer but these are stiffer than a Vulcan without tongue. And either way it's a better quality flex.

Boot feels a tad upright, going to adjust to the 13 degree angle.

Liner is very thin and poorly padded on the shin. I would like to go intuition asap.

In a 26.5 Lange with a bunch of punches. I went with the 27.5 Zero G. Happy with the fit, about a 1.5 finger. Tight in the right spots but more toe room than my langes.

FYI the angle adjustment does pretty much nothing but switch it anyway. Sticking the included spoiler on the back of the liner level with the top of the cuff helps.

Why don't you guys give the stock stance a try (plus or minus the cuff spoiler). You might be surprised.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Why don't you guys give the stock stance a try (plus or minus the cuff spoiler). You might be surprised.

... Thom
    I did. It’s too upright. But I’m on marker alpinist which are only 4mm delta. Tech binding with more ramp might be fine. They’re more upright than Cochise that’s for sure. And that’s with the Cochise in a griffon which is also 4mm delta.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    FYI the angle adjustment does pretty much nothing but switch it anyway. Sticking the included spoiler on the back of the liner level with the top of the cuff helps.
    I'm with you. I also stuck a wedge under the heel of my footbed. Now they feel good (at least with respect to forward lean).

What AT boot do I want?

this thread has reminded me that i am getting pretty sick of my maestrale mangos.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    this thread has reminded me that i am getting pretty sick of my maestrale mangos.
    sell me your instep buckles?