Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I am a bit bigger than you but I think we ski similarly. The question to ask is are you using skis to get around in the mountains or are you in the mountains to ski in cool places. If the former but a backland/f1/tlt if the latter buy the XTDs. I have XTDs and I agree they are not good hiking/scrambling boots but as long as you are skinning I don't think you are giving up a ton to the lighter boots for a big guy.

I have wide, flat feet and big calves, and the F1 fit great for me out of the box with some easy liner work. The only other comparable boot that was comfortable on the shop floor was the TLT7, but I could blow through the flex on the TLT too quickly. The F1 has some more guts, but it's gonna feel floppy compared to beefier boots.

This isn't fit/performance related, but something I've come to quickly appreciate after my first day out on my Z-G Tour Pros are the buckles.

Initially, I didn't like the feel of the cable loops.

I quickly realized that in combination with the buckles which flip "wide open" (almost lying flat in their open position), the cable loops remain located in the "ladders" when you flip the top two buckles open.

So, going back and forth between touring and downhill mode involves flipping the tour lock and the top two buckles. This is a big deal to me, because I'm always fiddling with finding the right "ladder" position when buckling my boots.

As reported elsewhere, you can tour with the booster strap engaged.

... Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have skied/owned the following AT boots:
    Garmont GSM
    Garmont G-Ride
    Scarpa Spirit 3
    Dynafit Zzeus
    Dynafit Zzero
    Dynafit Mercury
    Dynafit Vulcan
    Dynafit tlt5p
    Lange XT130 lv
    Lange XT140 lv

Maybe if someone could enlighten me on what those older boots lineup with new shit it might help me and others find the elusive magic touring boot.
    F1 skis better than the TLT5P. Not as well as the Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    F1 skis better than the TLT5P. Not as well as the Mercury.
    Definitely gotta bump my WTB for F1s, but @goldenboy's deal on the Z-Gs was too good to pass up, and now I'm a bit tapped.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    What weight parameters vs. DH parameter are you looking at here? Vuclans weren't that light.

I have a hard time recommending anything other than the ZeroG or the Hawx xtd130 for your purposes- -/+1400 g boots like ski almost as good as alpine boots. No they don't tour as good as a tlt6 in terms of weight or rom but no fiddling with tongues and so much less lower shell distortion when pushing into the flex.

I have a set of 27 Hawx XTD sitting on the floor, soon to be joined by 27 ZeroG Tour Scout for a shootout.

My desires are similar to OP... don't want the burliest thing for straight touring duty but can't deal with a weak sauce boot, either. The ZG family and the XTD indeed seem like the most solid offerings today. Found the Scouts for a decent price... couldn't stomach an extra $350 for the yellow big brother, especially since I'll (maybe) make up the weight and flex difference with an Intuition anyway.

Stoked to be upgrading from the Vulcan... though I observe better ROM in my V's than with the XTD.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Atomic HawX XTD.. you can remove that last buckle. It will custom fit to whar you want
    Remove the buckle closest to the toe? To save weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I have a set of 27 Hawx XTD sitting on the floor, soon to be joined by 27 ZeroG Tour Scout for a shootout.

My desires are similar to OP... don't want the burliest thing for straight touring duty but can't deal with a weak sauce boot, either. The ZG family and the XTD indeed seem like the most solid offerings today. Found the Scouts for a decent price... couldn't stomach an extra $350 for the yellow big brother, especially since I'll (maybe) make up the weight and flex difference with an Intuition anyway.

Stoked to be upgrading from the Vulcan... though I observe better ROM in my V's than with the XTD.
    I was hoping you’d chime in. I think we both want the same thing, a boot that is capable of comfortable of 2nd class scrambling and skinning 6k vert without the boot being an annoyance but also actually fun to ski on the descent.

I was hoping that the x/alp or f1 class of boots would get me there but if you’re looking zerog/Xtd and gregl is saying zerog/xtd and mofro is saying zerog/xtd I guess that means I should take a closer look at them.

I greatly dislike the ultralock buckle on the Vulcan. I want to be able to be in walk mode but with the buckles closed sometimes. I also hate how much leverage it takes to open and close the top buckle on those boots.
    FWIW: I've been in the mercs/vulcans for the past 5 seasons or so and found you can mimic the walk mode with buckles closed thing by using the power strap and leaving the Canada Arm in the full open position. Works just as good or better since you can really micro adjust for perfect forward lean for activities such as climbing easy rock pitches, kicking steps in somewhat firm spring snow on the steeps, effective 'just right' angle for french techniquing for hiking, etc...

Otherwise, i agree, not super stoked on the ultralock long lever. The Canada Arm design is generally a bit of a pia.
    Master of mediocrity.

I owned an F1 for two seasons and decided to swap out for ZeroG Tour Scouts earlier this month. I had some great days in the F1s but was never able to feel totally dialed in them. A/B with the previous gen zeroG last spring enlightened me to just how much poorer I was skiing in the F1. I think the boot is stiff enough (for a 160lb finesse guy like me) but I had a hard time staying in the front seat consistently. Race background, getting forward has never been an issue. Forward lean is very aggressive on the F1 and my past experiences with ramp angle have me blaming that for the weird feel. One caveat is that i never molded the F1 liner - could've improved things marginally.

The ZG Scouts are excellent. I ordered mine from Italy and got them in 4 days. The stock liner is cold, and limits the ROM somewhat. Replacing with the stock liner from my F1s has improved the ROM considerably (comparable to F1) and for me there is no comparison on the down, ZG is so much better. Last three tours have been 5.5K+, no desire to go back to F1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

I have a hard time recommending anything other than the ZeroG or the Hawx xtd130 for your purposes- -/+1400 g boots like ski almost as good as alpine boots. No they don't tour as good as a tlt6 in terms of weight or rom but no fiddling with tongues and so much less lower shell distortion when pushing into the flex.
    Based on what you're saying about being a "fat fuck" don't get the X-alp, F1, Backland. Go with what Mofro, gregl said and get the Hawx XTD 130 or ZGTP (a bit more bootwork but it'll work).

If you really want to dork out use the AT Boot Comparative Flex thread. But you're going to fold the touring oriented light weight boots.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Remove the buckle closest to the toe? To save weight?
    Yup. That gets the weight down to 1350g or so. If you do the same thing with ZGTP you get the weight down to 1300g. Lose the powerstraps on both and drop another 30g. I don't do these things but I know the gram-counters care

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

If you really want to dork out use the AT Boot Comparative Flex thread.
    here:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...odel-(updated)

no roxa numbers?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I have skied/owned the following AT boots:
    Garmont GSM
    Garmont G-Ride
    Scarpa Spirit 3
    Dynafit Zzeus
    Dynafit Zzero
    Dynafit Mercury
    Dynafit Vulcan
    Dynafit tlt5p
    Lange XT130 lv
    Lange XT140 lv

Maybe if someone could enlighten me on what those older boots lineup with new shit it might help me and others find the elusive magic touring boot.
    I have owned all of those except the Zeus, Zzero and XT140 LV, and I'm happy with the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD and Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro for winter use and the Backland Carbon for spring/summer.

Seems like there's a bit of a gap between the a 125-130 flex 1350-1400g boot (Hawx 130, ZGTP) and a 95-100 flex 1kg-1050 g boot (Fischer Carbon Travers, TLT7, etc). What's in the middle? Who makes a 110-115 flex, 1150-1200g boot?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

So, GregL, others... what's the ZeroG internal length like? Shorter or longer than a Lange?

Really struggling over 26.5 vs. 27.5 right now. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Seems like there's a bit of a gap between the a 125-130 flex 1350-1400g boot (Hawx 130, ZGTP) and a 95-100 flex 1kg-1050 g boot (Fischer Carbon Travers, TLT7, etc). What's in the middle? Who makes a 110-115 flex, 1150-1200g boot?
    Not much in that zone which is where I would really want to be. I'm already on a softish 1400g, I could be really happy going lighter but I'd never go softer. From a different thread I gathered that the La Sportiva Skorpius may fit the bill but there's no on-snow info on it yet.

So, GregL, others... what's the ZeroG internal length like? Shorter or longer than a Lange?

Don't go short on AT, at least 10-15mm spacing in shell fit would be my rec and I would go 15-20 mm before 5-10mm. Feet swell a lot walking uphill, too much slop is no good but downsizing for touring will almost always lead to a bad day.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Very slightly shorter than Lange, but not enough for me to go to 27.5 . . . my foot measures out at 27.8 on the Brannock.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Very slightly shorter than Lange, but not enough for me to go to 27.5 . . . my foot measures out at 27.8 on the Brannock.
    Mines more in the 28.1 range if i recall, so I think I'm going to go 27.5

edit: Trigger pulled on some 27.5 Zero G Scout. Looking forward to trying them on and hopefully they work.

Red ones, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    buy one of each and re sell the ones you dislike
    LVS could be Betel 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ll work on the meltdowns

I’ll work on the meltdowns

gonna hafta rid yourself of some money, logic, and living quarters, too

His mom's got plenty of space.

I’ll move into my moms house so I can take out a loan on a new dirt bike.