Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What AT boot do I want?

What I’m looking for:

Flex: Like Vulcan without the tongue. Prefer progressive vs absolute stiffness. Or like a 110 flex Lange. I find I don’t need as much stiffness when skiing in the backcountry. That said I also want the flex to stop at some point. I’m 190 lbs and push hard on the fronts of my boots.

Fit: Like a Lange rx lv (tight heel pocket and slightly wider forefoot) For touring boots I need more internal length than langes provide in a given size. So basically looking for a really low volume boot with a long internal length. I have a fairly low volume foot. But I also want some wiggle room for my toes as this will be a boot that I wear all day.

I have big calves but narrower ankles.

Weight: not sure but this boot will be for longer tours, I have Lange XT for short tours. So on the light side of things. This will not be skied in the resort.

Other things:

I dislike removable tongues.
    I greatly dislike the ultralock buckle on the Vulcan. I want to be able to be in walk mode but with the buckles closed sometimes. I also hate how much leverage it takes to open and close the top buckle on those boots.

I would prefer a simple buckle layout (1-3) vs a traditional alpine buckle setup. I think the key is having an instep/ankle buckle to hold me in the heel pocket.

So what boot am I after? Should I just suck it up and drive to Seattle and visit EVO?

Atomic HawX XTD.. you can remove that last buckle. It will custom fit to whar you want

The only thing I read about yours that stood out as anit-hawx was the big calves. I have chicken legs and they are great for me. But maybe they adjust further out than I give them credit for.

I wear 26 in my alpine boots (previous gen cochise). I can wear a 27 in the Hawx because of the small heel pocket and great ankle/instep/calf fit. Leaves me plenty of room in the toe box.

Ain't super light, but do cut a few hundred grams off your XTs and have a nicer walk mode. I will say the current sole kinda sucks for scrambling (WTR). As does this years liner. Supposedly the latter is at least getting improved next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Atomic HawX XTD.. you can remove that last buckle. It will custom fit to whar you want
    I was thinking I wanted something a bit lighter and more touring oriented?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The only thing I read about yours that stood out as anit-hawx was the big calves. I have chicken legs and they are great for me. But maybe they adjust further out than I give them credit for.

I wear 26 in my alpine boots (previous gen cochise). I can wear a 27 in the Hawx because of the small heel pocket and great ankle/instep/calf fit. Leaves me plenty of room in the toe box.

Ain't super light, but do cut a few hundred grams off your XTs and have a nicer walk mode. I will say the current sole kinda sucks for scrambling (WTR). As does this years liner. Supposedly the latter is at least getting improved next year.
    Were you in the hawx in Europe? I thought maybe you were in a Salomon or was that someone else?

just chiming in because hawx is fine for huge calves. mine are about as big as they come for my foot size and i have zero issues. tour and ski great. if you want softer flex you can dump the power strap for reduced fiddle factor and next year's buckles look like an improvement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Kinda what i was thinking if you've already got XTs. I haven't toured in XTs, just shop time in them, but range of movement is pretty minimal compared to XTDs.

Were you in the hawx in Europe? I thought maybe you were in a Salomon or was that someone else?

Someone else. I was in 130 XTDs with their trash liner and powerstraps replaced with 24" voile straps.

I go over and over the same dilemma. Tried the second gen orange Maestrales in a 27 which kill my feet and don't really provide enough control for bigger planques.
    I like 3 piece designs, as is known, a devotee of the flexon prog flex.

Roxa? Scott(Garmont)? Dalbello (queue fan club)? I would like to spend a few hours in a pair before I buy.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Very curious to hear more advice, as this sounds like my feet. Anybody tried the Fischer Kore 1?

Analysis paralysis: guilty. Really want to try some on.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If OP fits a vulcan there would be a number of boots that might fit

like the XTD as Lee my yellow friend mentioned

I think he is also a technica zgtp fanboi
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

. . . just suck it up and drive to Seattle . . .
    At this time, there are none at evo to try on in your size. Come over to my house next time you are on the West side and you can try the Hawx Ultra XTD and Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, both made wider in the forefoot in 26.5 - as you know, I ski inbounds in the XT Free LV 26.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I like 3 piece designs, as is known, a devotee of the flexon prog flex. Roxa? Scott(Garmont)? Dalbello (queue fan club)? I would like to spend a few hours in a pair before I buy.
    You don't have that many choices. Full Tilt Ascendant, Dalbello Lupo AX 120, Roxa R3. The first two are much higher volume than your 99mm current boots, the Roxa a bit better but still higher volume than the Flexon/FT Classic fit. None have especially good walk modes, but the Lupo is probably best. If you want to think outside the 3-piece box, the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro is close in terms of volume.

I actually didn't suggest the ZGTP. because its not low volume but rather more mid volume.

If you want even more touring oriented and lower volume try the Atomic Backland. Maybe the Arcteryx Procline or the Salomon equivalent

What AT boot do I want?

I was looking pretty hard at the Salomon s-lab xalp and the s-lab mtn.

The mtn has me a bit concerned by the high volume ankle fit and harsh flex coupled with a very upright stance.

Avoiding backland since I hate the removable tongue thing.

If the Vulcan had a traditional walk mode I’d probably just stick with that. I just really dislike the upper cuff closure.

Also for those suggesting zerog, or other boots, what size? I’m in a 3-5mm fit (“race fit”) in the Lange RX in a 26.5 and it only works for alpine skiing. Too short of internal length for walking, I get toe bang. A 27.5 in most brands (except the Vulcan/tlt5) has my foot totally swimming. Do I just need to plan on just shimming the shit out of the boot with lots of lpads and such to get room for my toes/feet to relax?

These boots will be used for all day/multiday trips so need some degree of comfort and warmth. Can’t go full race fit.

I hated the s-lab mtn heel fit which is why I switched to Hawx. The flex is also nicer on the Hawx.

If you can find something low volume enough that you have good instep / ankle fit, a little more room in the toe box shouldn't hurt you that much. I do notice the skiing isn't as precise as my alpine boots, but it is a fair trade off for all day comfort.

Does anyone know the fit of the scarpa f1 and the x-alp around the heel/ankle?

Heel ankle of F1 is pretty similar to XTD. Snugger than Maestrales.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Both are fairly roomy, but not as roomy as the S/Lab MTN. The 2020 Backland Carbon doesn't have the "removable tongue thing" (though it does have a BOA closure). If you catch me at the right time I may have one to try on.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Heel ankle of F1 is pretty similar to XTD.
    Actual width of the heel and ankle is similar, but the Hawx Ultra XTD comes across as "snugger" due to smaller cuff diameter. IMO this means it transmits power better but is also harder to put on/take off. In terms of function and weight, I consider the XTD/Zero G boots are in a different class than the F1, X/Alp and Backland Carbon - the former you "could" ski every day if you were dead set on only owning one boot, the latter probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Actual width of the heel and ankle is similar, but the Hawx Ultra XTD comes across as "snugger" due to smaller cuff diameter. IMO this means it transmits power better but is also harder to put on/take off. In terms of function and weight, I consider the XTD/Zero G boots are in a different class than the F1, X/Alp and Backland Carbon - the former you "could" ski every day if you were dead set on only owning one boot, the latter probably not.
    Yes. Width is similar. F1 is not nearly as locked down due to lack of material/buckle in front of ankle.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

What AT boot do I want?

If I’m inbounds I have the panthers or xt140 to ski. I’m looking for a true touring boot for big days in mountains traveling. Yes skiing but also scrambling, hiking, skinning, etc.

Also I need them in the next week or so, as I have some trips planned at the end of month.

Plan on using the boots with 182 g3 findr 86 with ions. Probably will add a similar length ski in the 105 - 110 range for midwinter touring eventually.

Like I said I have full alpine boots and crossover boots for bigger heavier skis and hybrid lift/skin days. These boots are for pure human power.

But I still am a fat fuck who needs support. And I have skinny feet. If my feet were fat I’d just go get the dyna hoji and suck the teat of fanboyism.

Someone remind me again why dynafit made that boot so damn wide?

The F1 is a terrific boot. Skis better than the orange Maestrales, unless you spend time in the back seat, in which case your ankle can slide forward. Range of motion is much, much better than my XTD's. I tend to weigh between 170 and 180. I ski the F1's with 178 zero g 85's, 178 zero g 108's and 182 GPO UL's. I thought 185 zero g 108's we're a bit too much ski for the F1's. But once I downsized there we're a perfect match.

That said, if you've never used a boot in this class there is a decent chance you'll hate it.

What weight parameters vs. DH parameter are you looking at here? Vuclans weren't that light.

I have a hard time recommending anything other than the ZeroG or the Hawx xtd130 for your purposes- -/+1400 g boots like ski almost as good as alpine boots. No they don't tour as good as a tlt6 in terms of weight or rom but no fiddling with tongues and so much less lower shell distortion when pushing into the flex.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

What AT boot do I want?

I have skied/owned the following AT boots:
    Garmont GSM
    Garmont G-Ride
    Scarpa Spirit 3
    Dynafit Zzeus
    Dynafit Zzero
    Dynafit Mercury
    Dynafit Vulcan
    Dynafit tlt5p
    Lange XT130 lv
    Lange XT140 lv

Maybe if someone could enlighten me on what those older boots lineup with new shit it might help me and others find the elusive magic touring boot.