Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why does my line snap back and land all squiggly?

I have been practicing casting all winter long with the unrealistic goal of catching a steelhead and the reasonable, reached goal of a few bulltrout..

I was using a single hand 8 weight.

I just got an itty bitty 2 weight for our local lakes, small trout streams and alpine lakes.

I was casting the 8 weight pretty well but with this light 2 weight it seems like my loops are nice but when I go to lay it out it snaps back and lands in a squiggly mess.

I had this issue on the 8 weight when I put a lighter, less sinky head on it, so I just put the other one back.

Help.

Why cant I cast light shit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190407_131343_443.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	277577

practice in the park without a fly
    it'll come

short answer from a hack is probably timing, it's off.

so practice.

my experience was never practice without something fluffy on the end; even dog fur tied on works. problem with practicing on dry land is height - you are usually a couple feet higher than you are on a stream, and resistance - water drags. on water practice muy better.

Typical over power of the forward cast. Lighten up on the power stroke coming forward. Super obvious coming off an 8 to a 2.

Let the backcast unroll and be gentle on the throw.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Typical over power of the forward cast. Lighten up on the power stroke coming forward. Super obvious coming off an 8 to a 2.
    I would add that the 2wt is likely a slower action rod. Ultra-light gear is typically meant for fishing at close ranges and the rod loads accordingly. You probably need to match the speed and power of the casting stroke to the full flex profile of the rod or the rod will rebound. A fast action tip flex rod has a lot less rebound and it isn't as noticeable when you screw up the timing. Slow action rods require a slightly different cast where fluidity/smoothness throughout the acceleration of the cast is more important than ripping line speed and screeching hard stops. Watch a video on how to cast bamboo or glass rods.

Honestly, Mtngirl, there's real limits on what a 2wt is good for. My point being, if you are measuring your success by how far you can cast the 2wt, be aware its not really designed for distance in the first place. 20 to 35 feet is probably its sweet spot. Don't practice the 2wt for distance, practice with an emphasis on dropping a fly into a paper cup at 25, 30 and 35 feet. Typically, a 2wt is used for catching small to medium fish with a dry fly in creeks. It's for stealthily picking off extra spooky fish in beaver ponds. Its a backpack rod ideal for streams you can just about jump across in places. A 2wt is not much good for casting at range or pushing a fly larger than a #10 dry in a breeze so its not really suited to alpine lakes. For lake fishing, its all about covering as much water as possible so casting at range is important. I use a medium action 8'6" 4wt for back country hike-in fishing. It is a much more versatile rod.

Also, line taper might be a factor. As you see with your 8wt, the sink tip with a very heavy WF (weight forward) taper dampens rebound better than your light tip or your floating tip. In the same manner, the standard WF taper is going to be more forgiving than a DT (double taper) on overhead casts. A double taper, however, is much easier to roll cast and mend plus it hits the water with less weight. Traditionalists who fish antique bamboo prefer a DT for subtle presentations. It's possible a tiny 2wt reel might have come loaded with a DT line. A full flex rod loaded with a DT will rebound like crazy compared to a tip flex rod loaded with a WF.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.

SLOW DOWN! Smooth acceleration to a stop.

Your fly line mimics how your rod flexes, in a tailing loop you're overflexing the rod at some point during the forward cast and your line mimics that in shape hence why it falls backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVvQKSdg4k

It's a redington hydrogen and the 8w is a sage foundation.

Honestly, I dont seem to have any problem getting the line out, but then it snaps back.

I was going to get a 3w but this one felt more like my 8w...

I will probably mostly use it for little creeks with little fish... the chuckanut lakes are pretty tight and hard to fish without a float tube...

Argg.

I've spent a ton of money at the local fly shop. If they are steering me wrong I'd be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Honestly, I dont seem to have any problem getting the line out, but then it snaps back.
    Again, its called rebound. The rod flexes on the back cast and counter-flexes as it unloads the stored energy on the forward stroke. Your rod tip is rebounding from the counter-flex and that BOING is throwing an s-wave down the line.

The trick for the light gear is smooth acceleration and deceleration throughout the casting stroke. The other casting element I suspect you are probably missing is "the fade", a smooth transition from the end of your forward cast to lowering your rod downwards. After the line has turned over, fading the rod downwards while letting out a little line with your hauling hand helps to dampen rebound and eases the line to a softer landing. If you don"t know what "hauling" is...learn it. You can't progress as a caster until both your hands are working together. Once you can double haul line and fade your rod tip, then you can start learning how to shoot line.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-08-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I'm sure that 2 wt is fine. Are you soft with your left hand holding the line at the end of the forward cast? If it's snapping back, maybe you need to let go with the left hand, (like you're double hauling), or at least move the left hand forward so the line doesn't come to an abrupt stop and snap back. The old joke is it's the cowboy not the horse. The rod's fine. Also, what everybody else said.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Came here to follow up but neck and snap nailed it all. Why not go in to where you bought the rod and have them give you a quick lesson?
    They can watch your casting stroke and correct your errors in about 5 min. Then it’s up to you to apply that to your casting stroke.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 04-08-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Cause auto correct is lame

I was going to but they are closed Sunday and Monday.

I probably should have started with casting lessons because all I got is buddy pointers and YouTube.

And lots of practice.

I have some ideas, for now, tho. Thanks!

Every fly shop I know will give you a free casting clinic. The shop rats are bored as fuck, not ready for the big clients and boats, and are just sitting there getting high. And they think they know everything and are glad to prove it.

The shop here charges 25 dollars. There are only 2 people who work there. The owner and another guy. Hes not too know it ally. I have to pester to get an honest opinion on flies I tie.

Where there is one fly shop, there are many. Shop around.

The shop here charges 25 dollars. There are only 2 people who work there. The owner and another guy. Hes not too know it ally. I have to pester to get an honest opinion on flies I tie.
    The shop that you bought the rod at wants to charge you for a quick casting lesson? If so that’s fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Where there is one fly shop, there are many. Shop around.
    b'ham only seems to google the one shop

The shop that you bought the rod at wants to charge you for a quick casting lesson? If so that’s fucked.
    +1
    if you bought your rod there (or even especially if you bought all your other gear there, given it's the only shop in town), i'd ask them again -- go at a low visit time if you can

if they don't relent, they really suck

I've never asked. I just know they do casting lessons for 25 an hour. No other fly shops

I've never asked. I just know they do casting lessons for 25 an hour. No other fly shops
    Gotcha. Just take your set up in during a slow time of day and talk to them. I bet they help you out for nothing.

I'm sure they would they help me tie flies.

It goes like this. Tie a #14 on your rod, walk into the store and say hey, I'm having a little issue on my cast, mind taking a minute to give me a couple pointers?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Bringing a 6 pack helps, too.

Drinking a six pack helps my cast too....oh wait nevermind.

Are you pointing your rod at the target? It can’t snap back if it’s aligned in the same direction as the outgoing line. I see too many people cast, them pull the rod tip back a few degrees. Let it run out, then pull the rod back.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    thread needs some hudge fly fishin puppies

and a young mrs. wulf throwin better than I ever will

her book mastering the cast helped me a lot
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno