Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    young mrs. wulf throwin better than I ever will
    Amazing photo, or is that a video still?

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Drinking a six pack helps my cast too....oh wait nevermind.
    I was at the fly shop that used to be in downtown SF, and the guy there used to work at Scott, (he actually painted the “Scott” on the rods), and he told me you needed a quaalude to cast them properly.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I wasn't stopping before laying it out.

Fly shop dude got six inches from the dandelion I told him to hit that was at least 45 feet away with my 7 foot 2 weight and it was windy.

It ain’t the rod.

Yeah I got a better handle on it now. The 8 weight with the sinking leader and big steelhead flies just allowed me to get away with stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and a young mrs. wulf throwin better than I ever will

her book mastering the cast helped me a lot
    Funny story, fishing with Tony Wratney on the North Umpqua 15 or so years ago, he told me he returned her guide fee mid day and told her to take a hike she was so unbearable to fish with.

Why was she unbearable?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Funny story, fishing with Tony Wratney on the North Umpqua 15 or so years ago, he told me he returned her guide fee mid day and told her to take a hike she was so unbearable to fish with.
    She ain't for fishin, she's for pokin.

Lots of admirable entries mtngirl79...but imho a #2wt line is much more difficult to throw consistent casts of most ANY length than a #4 or #5 line...IF you're gonna use anykind of length in your leader. Add to that the lack of weight prohibits throwing anything much larger than a ~#16 fly. Even if you were to limit your fly selection to the small stuff...most anglers can drop a #4wt on dead smooth spring creek water that won't bother most trout(imho)... Dropping the line on smooth water is a skill to be learned by the caster(as mentioned)....so why throw a line that clearly limits your distance and overall line control? Imho the advantages of a lighter line, once you get down below #3-4wt lines is just marketing. The line "snapping back" = just practice(as mentioned..)

$.01

I guess I'll become a better caster when Im good at this 2 weight then.

Already much improvement.
    Last edited by mtngirl79; 04-10-2019 at 08:07 AM.

It's a totally different rhythm then hucking shit. Become one with it, and you'll fall in love. And ... wait till you have one on. So much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    #2wt line is much more difficult to throw consistent casts of most ANY length than a #4 or #5 line...I
    Weird fucking advice to somebody who already owns a 2 wt. and wants advice on how to cast it.

Does your line coil when you lay the line out? May need to gently stretch your line. Also, I have no problem with inexpensive fly gear, but you may have a shitty(cheap) line. You can always post a video of your cast up here and be prepared to be flamed!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Line is scientific anglers mastery mpx half size heavy line.

It's what the flyshop guy picked. He said it will be easier for me to cast cause it's a little heavier.

The leader was coiling. That has been resolved.

Sorry not posting video.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Line is scientific anglers mastery mpx half size heavy line.

It's what the flyshop guy picked. He said it will be easier for me to cast cause it's a little heavier.

The leader was coiling. That has been resolved.

Sorry not posting video.
    That is a good line, it certainly isnt the line causing your issues. There has been some really good pointers posted up on here. And a few pretty bad ones too, par for the TGR board. Although you dont want to post up a video in here (and I certainly dont blame you) it might be very beneficial to watch yourself cast, I am always amazed that I am not as awesome at swinging a fly pole as I think I am in my head. 2 weights are a lot of fun in the right conditions, the key is to get out there and use it, like everything you get better over time with practice.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Yeah, I'm doing way better since getting help at the fly shop Tuesday.

I have only been trying to fly fish since the beginning of December and I've already got two fish on flies I tied so I feel like I'm doing alright!

The stuff I'm planning to fish with the 2 weight the fly shop guy says he fishes a zero weight.

Why does my line snap back and land all squiggly?

The stuff I'm planning to fish with the 2 weight the fly shop guy says he fishes a zero weight.
    I bet he makes his own beard oil, too.

To pay back all the expert advice in this thread Fish that 2wt and post pics! There is nothing better than chasing natives in the high country
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Two words... Ten-kara.

Lefty no tenkara

Make sure to pay attention to the rod loading especially on the backcast, and in the forward cast you should make sure to increase your power as you go into it. Then make sure you stop the rod higher than you think you should when you go to shoot line, it's a bit counterintuitive but it works.

If you are looking to get another rod I highly recommend the echo glass 6 wt. for a beginner, I think glass really helps beginners learn about rod loading. While its not the best in wind or with huge flies, it's good for more situations on the river and an absolute blast to fight fish from 8-24 inches. I usually give clients a glass rod to start because it's way easier for them to learn on.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Weird fucking advice to somebody who already owns a 2 wt. and wants advice on how to cast it.
    LOL, should I go to the length of quoting Nicholson as to what some can't handle...., but there's no difference anyways....a flyrod is a flyrod...same physics.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Lefty no tenkara
    im still pissed I bid $420 bucks on a 6 piece 6 weight tfo of leftys, his engraving on the real seat
    and his name and address on the case
    I was helping my dad put away the TU booth and missed the silent auction last call and got outbid
    I would probably went 5 bills which is a lot of money for a to many pieces tfo
    but lefty's a goat canidate
    ill try andd download some pics
    the top female caster in the comp is 13 yo
    such good form and casting stroke
    this years comp had you throwing 5 different sticks for distance and then picking the one you wanted for accuracy
    I don't think I could ever throw boo 80'
    hrps says high and hopes to toss a few flys with you and murph some day
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have a 4 piece 3wt of his signature series. Love that rod. Great pic.