Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Darwin Awards Winners (And Contenders)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Nice first post except the quote is "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. " But you were close.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." if we are being pedantic, but you were closer. I prefer "nose" as it's slightly more poetically evocative
    Last edited by mcski; 04-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Nice first post except the quote is "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. " But you were close.
    Are we sure he wasn’t threatening to punch YOU in the face?

I’m just asking...

haha oh well

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Sorry didn’t mean to shit on the thread. I had no idea that the “Awards” rules differed so much from Darwin’s theory. Had I known I wouldn’t have chimed it. But I did... oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I thought his post was mildly to moderately funny in a dad joke kind of way. But he's wrong about natural selection. While natural selection certainly operates when someone dies before they can procreate, it also operates to a lesser extent when a provider dies after procreating--their offspring may die of starvation. They may be eaten by lions if he is not around to protect them (something he obviously wasn't very good at), or they may unable to have children themselves or have fewer, due to malnutrition, or those children (his grandchildren) may be too weak to survive childhood.
    So we may continue to give Darwin awards to people who die after procreating.
    He may be smart but I'm smarter, and at least as boring.
    Well...

Many times the very trait or gene that shortens a life span is also the very same one that gives advantage at procreation.

Aggression for instance.

Further if lifespan mattered explain species like salmon who die directly after procreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Quality take down. To be fair I don't believe Steep is a biologist.
    No I’m not (organic chemistry minor and geology/geography majors) but ... I was raised by a biologist and took a lot of evolutionary biology and genetics in school. I understand more than enough to know that the rules do not agree with the theory.

Anyhow carry on- let’s not let science get in the way of fun!

Steep - This never was (and neither was the old thread) a scientific thread, it's a party-talk thread. Have some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Sorry didn’t mean to shit on the thread. I had no idea that the “Awards” rules differed so much from Darwin’s theory. Had I known I wouldn’t have chimed it. But I did... oh well.

Well...

Many times the very trait or gene that shortens a life span is also the very same one that gives advantage at procreation.

Aggression for instance.

Further if lifespan mattered explain species like salmon who die directly after procreation.

No I’m not (organic chemistry minor and geology/geography majors) but ... I was raised by a biologist and took a lot of evolutionary biology and genetics in school. I understand more than enough to know that the rules do not agree with the theory.

Interesting. We probably took classes together at U of O (Urban Design minor, Env. Science/Geog major). I think what Old Goat is saying is correct from my old biology coursework, but whatever...beating a dead horse here.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Steep - This never was (and neither was the old thread) a scientific thread, it's a party-talk thread. Have some fun!
    This.

I totally agree-> had just always thought it was based on the theory... I had never even thought about it or the fact that it would disqualify a whole lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Interesting. We probably took classes together at U of O (Urban Design minor, Env. Science/Geog major). I think what Old Goat is saying is correct from my old biology coursework, but whatever...beating a dead horse here.
    I bet we did!

What Old Goat is saying is correct but there is much more to it.

Evolutionary fitness has nothing to do with lifespan. It’s all about sheer numbers of copies. The more the better.

A trait like sexual aggression will shorten a lifespan due to constant fighting over mates yet yield a lot of copies. A passive specimen may not ever even reproduce yet could live much longer.

I thought his post was mildly to moderately funny in a dad joke kind of way. But he's wrong about natural selection. While natural selection certainly operates when someone dies before they can procreate, it also operates to a lesser extent when a provider dies after procreating--their offspring may die of starvation. They may be eaten by lions if he is not around to protect them (something he obviously wasn't very good at), or they may unable to have children themselves or have fewer, due to malnutrition, or those children (his grandchildren) may be too weak to survive childhood.
    So we may continue to give Darwin awards to people who die after procreating.
    He may be smart but I'm smarter, and at least as boring.
    If Clevon had only died younger doing something stupid, he would have only produced a fraction of these offspring. Limiting the damage to the jean pool (shout out to Iceman). Thus avoiding the road toward idiocracy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clevon.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	621.5 KB 
ID:	277975
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    This.

What Old Goat is saying is correct but there is much more to it.
    When it comes to science there is always much more to it. Any explanation--even Einstein's--is just an approximation of the truth. I take great satisfaction in my absolute certainty that we will never understand everything. Of course the Darwin Awards prove that some people will never understand anything.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-10-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Think less, go skiing.

Not sure I agree.

Darwin Awards Winners (And Contenders)

At least he died doing what he loved, (in Florida, of course):
    https://canoe.com/news/weird/killer-...florida-owner/
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    At least he died doing what he loved, (in Florida, of course):
    https://canoe.com/news/weird/killer-...florida-owner/
    I think we need to wait for the autopsy report before we can consider awarding him a prize--could have been a heart attack that killed him. The standards need to be upheld.

I think we need to wait for the autopsy report before we can consider awarding him a prize--could have been a heart attack that killed him. The standards need to be upheld.
    Plus we need to know about all of his offspring and what they’ve done.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Plus we need to know about all of his offspring and what they’ve done.
    and their offspring

In another news story they quoted his fiance of 20 years.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

A gun in a diaper bag went off, injuring dad and daughter. Now the dad has died

(CNN)A man who accidentally shot himself while changing his daughter's diaper in a vehicle in Vestavia Hills, Alabama, has died, police said.

Timothy Roshun Smith was shot in the leg and chest, and his daughter's leg was injured, when a loaded gun in a diaper bag went off Saturday outside a Chuck E Cheese's.

The 22-year-old man died Monday, said Capt. Johnny Evans of the Vestavia Hills Police Department. The girl is expected to make a full recovery, Evans said.

Smith was in the back seat of a vehicle Saturday outside the pizza restaurant, changing the girl's diaper. The gun went off as he picked up or reached inside a diaper bag on the floorboard, Evans said after the incident.
    After the gun went off, the bullet traveled through Smith's leg and then the child's leg before lodging in the man's chest, Evans said.

"This was a tragic accident and condolences from the VHPD and VHFD go out to the family involved," the police department said in a release.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Selfie Suicide

college-student

Likely hasn't bred yet.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    A gun in a diaper bag went off, injuring dad and daughter. Now the dad has died

(CNN)A man who accidentally shot himself while changing his daughter's diaper in a vehicle in Vestavia Hills, Alabama, has died, police said.

Timothy Roshun Smith was shot in the leg and chest, and his daughter's leg was injured, when a loaded gun in a diaper bag went off Saturday outside a Chuck E Cheese's.

The 22-year-old man died Monday, said Capt. Johnny Evans of the Vestavia Hills Police Department. The girl is expected to make a full recovery, Evans said.

Smith was in the back seat of a vehicle Saturday outside the pizza restaurant, changing the girl's diaper. The gun went off as he picked up or reached inside a diaper bag on the floorboard, Evans said after the incident.
    After the gun went off, the bullet traveled through Smith's leg and then the child's leg before lodging in the man's chest, Evans said.

"This was a tragic accident and condolences from the VHPD and VHFD go out to the family involved," the police department said in a release.

Alabama: where Floridians go to party.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Selfie Suicide

college-student

Likely hasn't bred yet.

not just one but two college student selfie deaths in a week:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

^^ well thats not a darwin award, thats just sad. Shes smoking hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    ^^ well thats not a darwin award, thats just sad. Shes smoking hawt
    so if she was ugly no worries?

‘Selfie epidemic’: How Israeli teenager fell to his death in Yosemite

Between 2011 and 2017, at least 259 people around the world died while attempting to take selfies, according to a study published last year in the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care.

Their average age was 23. Three-quarters were male. The most common causes of death were drowning, often by being swept into the ocean by big waves; transportation accidents, like being hit by a moving train; and falling from high places.

Hot or not, all solid contenders.

Ice is going to put together a poll first-o-jan for the winner. Vote your hot contender to the top spot!
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime