Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What bike am I?

What bike am I?

The dreaded “what should I buy?” Thread. I’ve got a good idea what skis to get, but I’m ready to step back into bikes with way too many moving parts.
    I’ve been on a Surly Karate Monkey steel 29’er for three years, and love it. However, I wanna do longer rides and generally try out modern suspension.
    I’m looking for a 27.5 or 29, medium travel ride that’s just barely on the climbing end of the spectrum. I dig technical and flowy stuff more than full on gravity attack. I’m looking on pinkbike and closeouts with up to 2k to spend.
    Better to buy used high end stuff, or mid range brand new?
    I don’t know much about component groups.
    Suggestions of where to look and what to look for are welcome, thanks!
    PS, I’m local to Leavenworth WA if you’ve got something I should buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

If you would bump your budget up to $3k and look for 2018 close out deals you could get a pretty awesome ride... Evo has some carbon Transitions on sale with a GX build that are a pretty damn good bike for anyone to ride.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I like long walks on the beach, rainbows after thunderstorms and down comforters on cold mornings.

Get yourself whatever 120-130 travel 29er you can find a good deal on that was made within the last 2 years. Ride it for a season and find out what you like & don't like about it. Buy the right bike next year and flip this one a few months after deciding you'll keep it because you still think you'll ride it.

Go ahead maggots, convince me I'm wrong.
    However many are in a shit ton.

What bike am I?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    You’re right, nothing beats down comforters on cold mornings

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    You’re right, nothing beats down comforters on cold mornings
    Well, getting a blowjob under a down comforter on a cold morning gives it a run for its money...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I like long walks on the beach, rainbows after thunderstorms and down comforters on cold mornings.

Get yourself whatever 120-130 travel 29er you can find a good deal on that was made within the last 2 years. Ride it for a season and find out what you like & don't like about it. Buy the right bike next year and flip this one a few months after deciding you'll keep it because you still think you'll ride it.

Sounds reasonable.

Gravity always wins...

This thread was solved until it got weird. When things get weird, the weird grab a down comforter
    Aluminum transition sentinel would be ok too
    Canfield toir
    Devinci troy 29
    Norco optic c9 or a9

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Lots of value in the one year dentist used market, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    This thread was solved until it got weird. When things get weird, the weird grab a down comforter
    I prefer my Bross, a cold beer and go outside, but that comment is sig worthy
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

You guys using those new weighted comforters yet? Really helps with the stress of riding technical trails.

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...19-c2x26304801

Not a shill, just a big fan of their stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’ve got a good idea what skis to get, but I’m ready to step back into bikes with way too many moving parts.
    That pretty much narrows it down. Your options:
    1) A Knolly
    2) 2015 or earlier Specialized Demo.
    3) Anything with an idler pulley

There are, of course, a few other options that have too many moving parts, but those three are probably your best bets.

Based on your description of what you like to ride, I'd suggest a Transition Smuggler or Scout over a Sentinel. I have a Sentinel and love it, but on flatter flowy stuff, it's a bit like piloting a La-z-boy. It thrives on steep & fast. As you get slower and flatter, the length becomes more work to muscle around.

You could also probably pick up a last-gen Bronson for cheap, since everyone wants the new one. I think I saw some carbon ones on clearance at Competitive Cyclist.

Thanks again for ideas everyone, I'm starting to thin the herd a bit. I've decided as I've already got a 9'er(although rigid), to focus on 27.5 for a different flavor. I'm hunting a scout or patrol, and I found a pretty cheap Intense Tracer not too far away that might be fine without breaking the bank.
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That pretty much narrows it down. Your options:
    1) A Knolly
    2) 2015 or earlier Specialized Demo.
    3) Anything with an idler pulley

There are, of course, a few other options that have too many moving parts, but those three are probably your best bets.
    Did somebody mention not enough pivots?

Actually these guys are local to me, Structure Cycleworks, 150/150 27.5, nearing production, talked to a buddy backing them and will try one of their samples soon.

Aluminum Santa Cruz 5010 checks alot of your boxes.

waxman is in fernie and selling off his ex-rentals. Devinchi troy? $18000 CND

What's $18,000 CAD right now? Like $2200 USD?

L9 will be selling employee demo bikes here soon. Just getting them cleaned up for photos to go on the website. There are maybe 3 or 4 bikes that see a good amount of use but the rest are barely ridden. That might be a good option to check out if you are into Rocky Mountain bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Thanks again for ideas everyone, I'm starting to thin the herd a bit. I've decided as I've already got a 9'er(although rigid), to focus on 27.5 for a different flavor. I'm hunting a scout or patrol, and I found a pretty cheap Intense Tracer not too far away that might be fine without breaking the bank.
    Swap out the rigid fork for suspension and still shred? I have a Krampus which I swap between rigid and suspension, and I really like this setup for everything.
    Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 04-10-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Yeah, i do dig the Monkey on almost everything, but I’m ready to pedal sitting down on loooong ride.
    I’m looking at a decent condition Intense Tracer Carbon for $1700, or a nearly new transition patrol carbon for 2800. So much money! But somehow a great deal at the same time.

Gravity always wins...

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    To answer your original post/question... what kind of bike are you, Riff:

Name:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  79.6 KB

In other news, did you ever look into the 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad, Medium Frame and determine if it would work for you?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

I have a 2019 Patrol Carbon. I love it. It is not at all what you describe you're looking for, which is, in your words:

Quote Originally Posted by riff
    I’m looking for a 27.5 or 29, medium travel ride that’s just barely on the climbing end of the spectrum. I dig technical and flowy stuff more than full on gravity attack.
    You've since said that you want 27.5 instead of 29, but the Patrol is long travel (not mid travel) and is not on the "climbing end of the spectrum." It is a bike that goes uphill just fine considering it goes downhill like a raped weasel. The geometry on the newer ones (2018+) makes the climbing position quite comfortable but there are many other bikes that pedal more efficiently and are much lighter. The Patrol is not the bike you buy if climbing is anything to you other than "the thing that you have to do so that you can get to the top and party down"

If you want a 27.5 Transition you should probably be looking for a Scout, although I'm not sure I'd recommend Transition at all for your description. They are generally going to be more downhill focused than other bikes in the same class. Again, I love my Patrol, it's the perfect bike for me, it's just not what you say you're looking for.

For just "barely on the climbing end of the spectrum" I would be looking more for an Ibis, Pivot, Yeti, Esker (won't find one used), Spot, etc. Probably others as well, those are just the bikes I've ridden that pedal well and still descend nicely.

RTR, I’m pretty sure I’m solidly in the market for a large frame. That bike in the pic looks sick though...
    Adrenelated, i think you are right. I’m going to check out the Tracer, and if it’s a no go, then start back in on lighter shorter travel rigs. Patrol looks sweet but likely overkill.

Gravity always wins...

FWIW I thought the Tracer was a pretty underwhelming bike, but the demo I rode was pretty beat up so it probably wasn't the ideal test.