Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The county fairgrounds also has tent and RV campsites. There’s a website.

The most likely place to camp on USFS near the trail network is the bottom of Mini Ridge. There’s not a lot of room, but I’ve seen a tent or two on occasion.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I know it's sort of a drive south, but it looks like you can totally camp on the dirt roads of Strawberry. Looked that way when I was riding down there last year.

How far out is riding in Helena, another month or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    How far out is riding in Helena, another month or so?
    Not much is dry yet. Scratch gravels are getting close. Month maybe for some trails if limited precip/wind.

Just a bit OT but, how cool is it that the riding around Helena has been so well supported.

Truly world class. Bravo....

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Just a bit OT but, how cool is it that the riding around Helena has been so well supported.

Truly world class. Bravo....
    It’s great. But some backlash bubbled up last year. How it plays out remains to be seen.

Where is Uncle Crud with a cautionary tale about GROWING THE SPORT?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Anyone in Helena been riding? Saw some stuff on instagram that looked like it was in. Figured it would take extra long to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Anyone in Helena been riding? Saw some stuff on instagram that looked like it was in. Figured it would take extra long to dry out.
    I have seen a lot of people riding up into the Scratchgravel Hills near my house. Going to check it out this weekend. 90 percent chance of rain tomorrow though. Not sure about the South Hills stuff, seems doubtful.

Yeah, I figured scratchgravels would be ready first. Hoping some of the other stuff is ridable soon. Want to spend as much time riding stuff before the race memorial day weekend.

Yeah, I figured scratchgravels would be ready first. Hoping some of the other stuff is ridable soon. Want to spend as much time riding stuff before the race memorial day weekend.
    Friend just texted that he rode Archery Range to Roger's today and it was good to go. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Friend just texted that he rode Archery Range to Roger's today and it was good to go. FWIW
    Good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I have seen a lot of people riding up into the Scratchgravel Hills near my house. Going to check it out this weekend. 90 percent chance of rain tomorrow though. Not sure about the South Hills stuff, seems doubtful.
    Mount Ascension and Rodney Ridge are dry, except for Entertainment Trail. From what I can see, I expect most of the exposed slopes of Mount Helena are, too. Upper Ridge, Mini/E, and Horse probably have a ways to go yet.

Rent Money is prime.

Been getting some nice 10 mile rides in on the lower part of Ascension/Rocky Point/Rodney Meadows. Archery was still a little muddy in a couple spots two days ago but rideable. Southern part of waterline to Barking Dog might still be muddy yet. I would be surprised if the north side of Ascension (loop) is dry yet, but haven't checked. Rain will set things back a bit this weekend but also help remove snow pockets. Co-worker was going to ride Mcmaster the other day but haven't heard back. Scratch gravels are good to go. New Stumpjumper this year, woohoo!

Evasive, have you been on east or west Eddy McClure, or heard how they are looking?

Some friends lapped the new directional trail yesterday and said that was in good shape. Eddye West is probably OK. East takes a little longer, but it dries out before I expect it to. It’ll probably be good next week.

A friend of mine is running the DFMI 30K route this weekend, so I’ll get a lot of reports from him. Trailforks has gotten a lot of updates in the last couple days, too.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Some friends lapped the new directional trail yesterday and said that was in good shape. Eddye West is probably OK. East takes a little longer, but it dries out before I expect it to. It’ll probably be good next week.

A friend of mine is running the DFMI 30K route this weekend, so I’ll get a lot of reports from him. Trailforks has gotten a lot of updates in the last couple days, too.
    Cool, thanks!

Saw some riding from instagram stories today. Looks like pretty light rain off and on all day. Anything be ridable tomorrow? Don't want to be "that guy" riding in the mud.

Saw some riding from instagram stories today. Looks like pretty light rain off and on all day. Anything be ridable tomorrow? Don't want to be "that guy" riding in the mud.
    Rain was pretty minor. Anything rocky on the east side of Mount Helena is a sure bet, but I imagine that most of the trails that were OK Friday should be OK tomorrow. Just be prepared to switch it up if not. Rent Money is probably a safe plan. That soil drains well.

Rode pretty much everything from last years helenduro over the last two day and started in on 2017. Just gonna work my way through and hopefully ride everything that may end up on this years race. I had ridden much of it already in the past. Dirt was perfect with just a couple small wet spots to slow down and tread carefully or walk.

Rode pretty much everything from last years helenduro over the last two day and started in on 2017. Just gonna work my way through and hopefully ride everything that may end up on this years race. I had ridden much of it already in the past. Dirt was perfect with just a couple small wet spots to slow down and tread carefully or walk.
    No idea what the helenduro route is, but up 2006 to Ascension, down W Eddy McClure, up Arrowroot to connector, back down Ascension loop trail was spectacular today with only a few wet spots. I'm guessing Entertainment is close or good at this point, will check it out tomorrow.

Edit to add: looks like helenduro includes Entertainment, sounds like good there too according to Whiteroom_Guardian?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    No idea what the helenduro route is, but up 2006 to Ascension, down W Eddy McClure, up Arrowroot to connector, back down Ascension loop trail was spectacular today with only a few wet spots. I'm guessing Entertainment is close or good at this point, will check it out tomorrow.
    I rode Entertainment today. Pretty much perfect. A couple small wet/snow spots, but otherwise full on hero.

I rode Entertainment today. Pretty much perfect. A couple small wet/snow spots, but otherwise full on hero.
    Sweet! I almost peeled down that way but headed back up Ascension because I wasn't sure it wouldn't be a bit too muddy down Entertainment still.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post

Edit to add: looks like helenduro includes Entertainment, sounds like good there too according to Whiteroom_Guardian?
    Thanks for the update.

The Helenduro route changes every year, but that most recent handful are all on Trailforks as routes.

Sorry for thready drift, but headed up the Helena THIS Thursday and hoping to ride Mt. Helena Ridge => Show me the Horse

Are those trails dried out?

I'm planning to meet a friend and self-shuttle Grizzly Gulch.

Can you still drive past Park City or is the road closed due to construction?

I was thinking about hitting Andy's trail but open to other connector routes/suggestions over in Mt. Helena City Park area as this will be our first time riding in the Capitol City.
    Last edited by Montana Rider; 05-07-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Anyone know if I need to do anything to camp at the fairgrounds, or just show up and deal there?
    Thanks!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident