Canoe trolling motor question

Posted this in Kayak forum...but no responses, so I'll try here.

Bought a 14ft SunDolphin canoe with square back....to take my 13 yr old son fishing.
    *putting it on the roof and dragging it myself is more functional that trailing a small boat.

What size trolling motor should I buy?
    We'd be on the water for 3-4 hours.
    Total weight between the two of us would be near 350 lbs.

I'm thinking a 30 lb thrust. I'm reading that a 50 lb will drain the battery much quicker.

Your suggestions are much appreciated. Thx

Attachment 277219

Ignore the troll

(sorry, that's all I gots)
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Just get a cheap one from Craig’s to start out, plug in charger and solar charger. Once you get stranded or pushed to the other side of lake by stiff wind you’ll know what you need.

30 would be fine imo

Did this several years ago. Haven’t used it much lately. Did a 30 lb paired with a deep cycle battery I placed near the center of the canoe. Easily got 3-4 hours.

Caught s shit ton of perch, bluegill, and bass throwing small poppers on my six weight fly rod.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Posted this in Kayak forum...but no responses, so I'll try here.
    Perhaps they thought you were trolling??

When I was about 12 my dad bought a 12 foot aluminum boat with roof racks and one of those trailer hitch swivel pole things instead of a trailer. We carried the boat to the dock by the ramp several times, requiring several trips to move the gear from the trunk and back seat to the boat, trolling motor, battery, 7.5 horse gas motor and fuel tank, tackle boxes fishing gear, coolers, oars etc etc.. Ended up taking way longer to load and unload all our shit each time than just eating the expense of buying a trailer so we could leave the boat right side up with all our shit already in it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Canoe trolling motor question

I would skip getting an electric trolling motor and get a 2hp Honda 4-stroke. That's what I had on my square stern canoe. So small that it is air-cooled (much lighter weight plus no maintenance). Also has an integrated gas tank, so no hoses or tank to lug around.

I had mine 4 or 5 years, used it at least 2-3 times a month in the summer, and never had to fill with gas. In the fall I would drain the old gas, then fill up in the spring. (Note: I did carry a little 1 gallon spare fuel tank, but I never needed it)

I bought it on Craigslist, and sold it on Craigslist for the same money. Because it's a Honda.

https://m.marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF2.3
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Did this several years ago. Haven’t used it much lately. Did a 30 lb paired with a deep cycle battery I placed near the center of the canoe. Easily got 3-4 hours.

Caught s shit ton of perch, bluegill, and bass throwing small poppers on my six weight fly rod.
    Thanks...this is what I was looking for.

My goal is to putts around a small lake, darting around the docks, in search of bass. I'll have an oar or two.

At first, I'll just paddle my son around the lake to see if he likes it and wants to keep fishing. If so, which I bet will be the case, I'll splurge for the 30 lb. I'd love for him to try fly fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I would skip getting an electric trolling motor and get a 2hp Honda 4-stroke. That's what I had on my square stern canoe. So small that it is air-cooled (much lighter weight plus no maintenance). Also has an integrated gas tank, so no hoses or tank to lug around.

I had mine 4 or 5 years, used it at least 2-3 times a month in the summer, and never had to fill with gas. In the fall I would drain the old gas, then fill up in the spring. (Note: I did carry a little 1 gallon spare fuel tank, but I never needed it)

I bought it on Craigslist, and sold it on Craigslist for the same money. Because it's a Honda.

https://m.marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF2.3
    sounds good BUT some lakes are non-motorized
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Are you going to be actually trolling (driving around dragging a lure(s)) or just using to get from point a to point b to point c etc?

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Are you going to be actually trolling (driving around dragging a lure(s)) or just using to get from point a to point b to point c etc?
    Not dragging lures, just moving slowly and casting as we go. Turn off as he reels in his fish, cast a few more times at that spot...and then move on to the next dock / lily pads / submersed tree....

Just paddle. It’s much more enjoyable to float and paddle, than chug along.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Just paddle. It’s much more enjoyable to float and paddle, than chug along.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Maybe its a really big lake and all the fish are on the opposite shore?

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I'm gona go ahead and suggest a pvc pipe & hose clamp extension on that ^^ tiller
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know