What boots are like a Salomon Ghost 120/130?

Let's get this out of the way first: go to a bootfitter. OK? Done? Good. I'll try some shit on before buying if I can. Now on to my question....

My beloved boots are toast. Quite literally, I toasted the liners in a madcap caper to dry them quickly after forgetting to dry them overnight before a short ski trip. In retrospect (and in all reasonableness what should have been anterospect) drying them over the fireplace is a really poor idea. But I digress....... I made do for the rest of the season with an old pair of intuition liners. The boots are 7 years old, now, so while I could dick around with liners it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense; I was starting to think about replacements at the end of last season - mostly just being prepared to pounce on a pair of deadstock Ghost 120/130 in my size (25.5).

So, I'm moving up my timeline, what's similar to a Ghost? Looking for something with similar fit and performance, lean, etc. I liked the Ghost because they were dead simple without a lot of moving parts but performed great and they fit me really well. With the CS shell I was able to get them more or less perfect, with no extra room and no hotspots, in my living room. I don't really care about ski/walk modes or any of that bullshit. Wide-ish forefoot and narrow-ish heel, but overall my foot is really standard and has always been easy to fit.

Thanks!

(Also, if anybody has a line on new or lightly used Ghost CS 120/130, hit me up.)
    focus.

I think the ghost was 100 or 98mm? so what ever that is currently in the salomon line up should fit very similar.

If you want less buckles, etc maybe look at fulltilt (98mm) or dalbello (med to narrow at 98/100mm shapes)

if you want a to buy a dalbello lupo ti (tech or alpine, with walk mode) I have a used shell (50? days) with a new liner for $250

or just buy the red boots.

I'll realistically probably never tour in these. Given that, would it actually make sense to go for the touring Lupo? I know touring or touring capable boots have come an awful long ways in recent years, but since I'll never use them for anything but downhill or walking around doing ski patrol stuff any touring tradeoffs are really just downhill losses for me.
    focus.

There is craigslist add in SF for some Ghost 130s https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo...838124622.html

Quote Originally Posted by chickenmonkey View Post
    There is craigslist add in SF for some Ghost 130s https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/spo...838124622.html
    Awesome. Thanks for the tip.
    focus.

The Ghost was 98mm. The boot that probably skis and looks most like it now is actually the S/Lab MTN, but though I have friends who ski it every day, it's really a touring boot. Also the ankle/heel is a lot looser. The new S/Max is probably close on fit, a little snugger around the ankle and calf, still 98mm forefoot.

the lupo CAN tour, but is not a ubber light, rando boot. Skis the same as my original kyrptons.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Ghost was 98mm. The boot that probably skis and looks most like it now is actually the S/Lab MTN, but though I have friends who ski it every day, it's really a touring boot. Also the ankle/heel is a lot looser. The new S/Max is probably close on fit, a little snugger around the ankle and calf, still 98mm forefoot.
    Yeah the flex on the Ghost is so much nicer IMO.

Higher cuff too which may play a role.

I owned Krypton pro's (not the KR2, previous green model). then moved to Ghosts 120 (black with green buckles / pre Max version). to me the difference in heel hold and instep height was pretty big (much lower instep on Ghost and tighter heel pocket).
    I had to grind the bootboard on the ghost and a bit of my insoles too to make it work. up to you to assess if your foot needs such a low instep or not. (I think this is what set's the ghost apart from most other boots)
    I'm now moving on to Cochise DYN's. the cuff is actually higher on the cochises.

How does forward lean compare?
    focus.

Cochise with the spoiler (not too thick say 6-8mm) is very comparable to the ghost (zero adjustment for me).
    instep higher. more wiggle room for toes but a few mm shorter inside length (might need a toe punch on the Cochise on 1 side )

very comparable in terms of stiffness (imo).

I think I had the high and then the medium forward lean on the KR's but that is loooong ago.

Salomon x max 120 has done the trick for me, more fwd lean too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.