Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Something tells me that a guy who put a deposit down for a heli ski trip and is looking for ski suggestions specifically for that trip is not looking for a deal on used skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Something tells me that a guy who put a deposit down for a heli ski trip and is looking for ski suggestions specifically for that trip is not looking for a deal on used skis.

Or I might be totally broke because of the deposit. Even I’m not sure to be honest, but I’ve wanted to heli ski for as long as I can remember and I had the time and something resembling the financial ability to sort of afford it now. Stay tuned next month for when I start selling my motorcycles to fund my ski collection (aka the reverse Betel).

However, the conclusion is correct. Given the cost of the trip I don’t care about the difference between a $300 used ski vs. $650 new skis that might be more exactly what I’m looking for.

The Protests were actually helpful.

I have the Commander 124 (194cm) and would say it would be good for the mission you are going on. It's a bit more versatile than the Comi. Feels a little less planky than the Comi and was good for cat skiing at Chatter Creek. Really tight trees were a bit of an issue but that's to be expected for a ski it's size. That said the Comi is a pretty amazing open snow heli terrain ski. If you are wanting to use the skis you buy for this trip at the resort from time to time then I would lean more toward the CMD124.

I have some minty Cham 127s, perfect for heli skiing.

189 K2 Pon2oons should be considered here. Sure the protest and L138’s get a lot of praise and well deserved but the Pon2oons really do ski well on heli ops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
    189 K2 Pon2oons should be considered here. Sure the protest and L138’s get a lot of praise and well deserved but the Pon2oons really do ski well on heli ops.
    Beat me to it. I ski the smaller one, but I'm 5'9" 165 lbs. It's a blast for steep untracked. Stupid nimble in tight deep glades. I do typically push them with as strong of a boot as I can get on my feet.

6'1" 235lbs and have LOVED my Supergoats in deep snow. No speed limit and the tip hasn't even tried to dive on me. Will probably be harder to find than a C&D though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
    Good to know those are worthy - think I should be able to try some on site.

https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-s...ABEgI9-fD_BwE#

Cannot overstate how surprised I was at how well these skied. I’m 190 lbs and have owned or skied many of the usual suspects in the stiff/heavy/fat category. My Moment Comi Kazis (196 nominally ) are fun but too soft. My 197 Katanas are stiff and damp but too narrow for deep pow. My Praxis Ullr 194 carbons were surfy and fast. Pontoons too soft. Blah blah blah. Lotus 120 200s were good in the right conditions but deflected and were mediocre compared to various Praxis fatties

Anyway I bought the Scrapper 124 2 yrs ago thinking ‘med weight ski, put my Kingpins on and use for sidecountry.’ Lo and behold these things are super versatile and kinda combine the dampness and power I associate with charger skis with most of the pivoty playful aspect of softer more rockered skis. They’ve become my default powder ski for 6” to 3 ft days.

In the US they’re under the radar so you can buy em new for under $400. Would absolutely be my choice if I go heliskiing again.

Pon2oons are the easiest Pow ski I’ve ever been on by far. It doesn’t get enough praise. The Protest is on the same level, but just different.

I got some Gigawatts for deep pow , not the coolest ski but anything wide is gona ski good when you start measuring snow in meters, probably available new & really cheap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For me the best ever deep snow ski is the Liberty Genome

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-s...ABEgI9-fD_BwE#

Cannot overstate how surprised I was at how well these skied.
    What's yer height and weight?

As for the Pon2oons; a good handful of local small, med and (lighter end of) big guys are on em and all seem to jive with 'em. Talked to a few heavier big guys who thought they were too soft.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    What's yer height and weight?

As for the Pon2oons; a good handful of local small, med and (lighter end of) big guys are on em and all seem to jive with 'em. Talked to a few heavier big guys who thought they were too soft.
    Can be solved by: hot glueing a 3/16" thickness aluminum sheet to the top of the ski, adding two 1/4" delrin rods from the front of the binding to the tip of the ski, and adding a fox float 2.75 mountain bike shock from the heel piece of the bindings to the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Can be solved by: hot glueing a 3/16" thickness aluminum sheet to the top of the ski, adding two 1/4" delrin rods from the front of the binding to the tip of the ski, and adding a fox float 2.75 mountain bike shock from the heel piece of the bindings to the tail.
    I thought you were the cutting board guy for a second until I got to the mtb shock. Lmaooooo

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Word up, homie!

That's exactly what I'd do if I owned em and was still rockin' my Bavarian Beer Belly. Trippple B for the extra bounce.
    Master of mediocrity.

Don’t discount our friends at Fat-ypus: Designers of the original Alotta have designed the Mack 5 - has a 139mm waist. Small company with small core following
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    available new & really cheap
    I’ve been amazed how well the $129 Cham 127’s from Corbett’s have skied.