Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnowflake View Post
    Basically a tweaked Kuro. Mine have flat tails and minimal tail rocker. The All-wood&glass / no plastic is extremely responsive and harmonic too.
    Interesting...I own the Kuro in a 185 and so far haven't jived with it. I liked the feel of the front of the ski but suspect the rear rocker begins too early and is excessive. In most snow conditions, the skis threw me in the backseat. Tried tweaking boot forward lean/ramp, binding fore/aft position, etc...but didn't find any game changing positive effect. Had thoughts of attempting to change the rear rocker profile so that it's flat or minimal reverse camber further back on the ski to engineer a feel that I prefer.

Have you skied the Kuro and if so, did your experience line up with my notes/speculations?
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-30-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I am a big guy like you and my current powder ski is the Praxis Protest in 192. You really cannot go wrong with the Protest.

Powder - Heliski skis

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Interesting...I own the Kuro in a 185 and so far haven't jived with it. I liked the feel of the front of the ski but suspect the rear rocker begins too early and is excessive. In most snow conditions, the skis threw me in the backseat. Tried tweaking boot forward lean/ramp, binding fore/aft position, etc...but didn't find any game changing positive effect. Had thoughts of attempting to change the rear rocker profile so that it's flat or minimal reverse camber further back on the ski to engineer a feel that I prefer.

Have you skied the Kuro and if so, did your experience line up with my notes/speculations?
    While I haven’t skied the Kuro, I have friends who have and based on their feedback (and my assessment of the ski’s specs), your critique is dead on the money with respect to what concerned me about them.

Regarding dedicated big mountain pow skis (read: Alaska style chargers, which I believe are in a class all their own), I’m not as concerned with the depth of tip and tail rocker profiles as I am with excessive splay. I prefer a full rocker profile, but my pair of Gulos were designed with minimal splay and a flat tail...which was a big deal for me...they will drift but still feel connected to the snow at high speeds and in no-fall zones.

Finally, for my style of skiing and perhaps yours, a twin-tipped and tapered tail aren’t what I’m looking for. Again, I had both of these eliminated from the more Kuro-esqe design and I’m happier for it.

I’ll DM you pics if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by ohsnowflake; 05-02-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    There was J, Double J, KJ, JJ, another guy who said 'Just Call Me J', Shaggy, and a guy who called himself Whooshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnowflake View Post
    While I haven’t skied the Kuro, I have friends who have and based on their feedback (and my assessment of the ski’s specs), your critique is dead on the money with respect to what concerned me about them.

Regarding dedicated big mountain pow skis (read: Alaska style chargers, which I believe are in a class all their own), I’m not as concerned with the depth of tip and tail rocker profiles as I am with excessive splay. I prefer a full rocker profile, but my pair of Gulos were designed with minimal splay and a flat tail...which was a big deal for me...they will drift but still feel connected to the snow at high speeds and in no-fall zones.

Finally, for my style of skiing and perhaps yours, a twin-tipped and tapered tail aren’t what I’m looking for. Again, I had both of these eliminated from the more Kuro-esqe design and I’m happier for it.

I’ll DM you pics if it helps.

Pics? Yes please.

And yeah, I live in nwbc and ski a lot of terrain and snow conditions that are somewhat similar to the A.K. stuff. My go to ski these days is a 10 year old pair of custom modded flat tailed/trad mount point, rockered tip k2 darkside 174's. I dramatically increased the tip splay, pulled the rocker contact point back by about 8cms and spooned the tip edges a bit. In stock form, the tips dove. In modded form they're pretty much dive proof.

Super loose and smeary if i want em to be, can lay em sideways and slowly engage the edges and slarve, and the tails are still there if i need 'em.

They ski long but short...long (enough) on steep faces and cruisers, short, pivoty, 'turn on a dime'y in couloirs and tight, technical billy goat terrain. Pretty good compromise ski that just plain works with no surprises in a really broad spectrum of snow conditions and terrain demands.

Back in the day when it was my primary ski, I had many good experiences on Armada JJ's in similar terrain with no feelings at the time of feeling compromised by the tip and tail rocker...but, the spectrum of snow conditions for optimum operation is narrower than the darksides; but i suspect this is more due to their relatively skinny width than rocker/camber/rocker profile.

Wanted the Kuro to be the next step up in terms of a bit more tip to tail suspension in truly bottomless conditions and just to feel some different sensations on big faces, spine lines and drifty turns.

I'm rolling a quiver of rossi s3, armada jj2.0, volkl shiro, salomon rocker 2 122, volkl 2, k2 darkside, volkl kuro. Haven't felt the love on all of em. The big surprise ski is the old Rossi S3's...super versatile, forgiving but reliable. On standby waiting for binding mount are some o.g. volkl katanas...looking forward to spring days on those bad boys.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 05-04-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

DPS Spoons - if you are talking powder and backcountry exclusively I would go for them. Great skis in the right conditions.

why not praxis powboards? 190 or 200... 3d base... i mean if the protest isn't specific enough, this ought to be the ticket.

How much are you willing to spend? If I were looking for this kind of ski and had the loot to spare, I’d be looking hard at Igneous. This sort of ski would seem to be deep in their dna/wheelhouse. Gulo seems tailor-made for your needs.

Unfortunately, whilst worshipped here in the past, there seems to be precious little info on post-hiatus Iggys (see recent Iggy thread)

EDIT: ...and they most definitely make them big enough for the biggest of guys!

Whitedot Ragnarok ASYM

heli ski bindings

Do heliski companies let you ski with tecton bindings or do they insist on alpine bindings?

Hey, resurrecting this thread. Any thoughts on DPS Lotus 124 vs. Moment Commander 124 vs. ON3P C&D for heli/cat skiing? Hitting Revelstoke for the first time soon and trying to figure out what my stupid deep ski should be.

Praxis Protest.

Or powderboards

moment comi's?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Praxis Protest.
    +1

I have the opportunity to ski at Baldface every year and Protests have never disappointed. I am interested in trying C&D after reading @Muggydude reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some dean Cummings Praxis built H20 Karencito in 191 for $150 local in SLC and $200 shipped. He rips them on big spines and AK faces

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Hey, resurrecting this thread. Any thoughts on DPS Lotus 124 vs. Moment Commander 124 vs. ON3P C&D for heli/cat skiing? Hitting Revelstoke for the first time soon and trying to figure out what my stupid deep ski should be.
    My Praxis Protests! Great deal on custom Protests!!

I say Commander 124s. We know what the other two are for and don’t have much info on the commander 124s. Go with those

Thanks all, as I meditated on this I came to the conclusion that I don't know enough about the Moments to buy them as something other than a random flier. I do, however, love my Billy Goats which makes a very strong case for the Cease and Desist.

About a year back someone who tried the BG in Alaska seemed not impressed (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...68#post5656368). Has anyone else done the experiment or tried the C&D in those conditions?

Also, is there a consensus on the Lotus 124?

The Protests are tempting....

Thanks all, as I meditated on this I came to the conclusion that I don't know enough about the Moments to buy them as something other than a random flier. I do, however, love my Billy Goats which makes a very strong case for the Cease and Desist.

About a year back someone who tried the BG in Alaska seemed not impressed (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...68#post5656368). Has anyone else done the experiment or tried the C&D in those conditions?

Also, is there a consensus on the Lotus 124?

The Protests are tempting....
    … And skibrd's custom 196 Protests are laid up stiffer than stock, which might be good for a guy whose a Clydesdale.
    (and you can't order custom stiffness anymore from Praxis).

On a related note I'm selling a pair of Kastle 194 MX98s (for cheap) that you could use as your daily driver.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Protest. Easy win.

I'd go Protest over Powderboards for Heli skiing, assuming it's wide open and you have the space to go fast. Protests have no speed limit in good snow, Powderboards do.

(In shallow or slightly heavier pow, I might ski my LPs).

I'm resolving this problem in the typical TGR approved way. I'm just gonna buy the C&D and plan to eat $300 or whatever if it doesn't workout for me. If I don't buy the C&D I think I will always be curious how it would have skied, so I think I need to get on that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    My Praxis Protests! Great deal on custom Protests!!

I say Commander 124s. We know what the other two are for and don’t have much info on the commander 124s. Go with those

Also gonna PM you now.

I got a set of K2 118 Pinnacle's (191 cm by 145 - 118 - 135). They are more of a "rocker" ski then I like. I'll sell them for $500.00.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I'm just gonna buy the C&D and plan to eat $300 or whatever if it doesn't workout for me.
    it'll work out for you.
    let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I got a set of K2 118 Pinnacle's (191 cm by 145 - 118 - 135). They are more of a "rocker" ski then I like. I'll sell them for $500.00.
    I’m fat. I want skis for pow not bumps.

I've got a pair of Volkl 3's at 187cm, still shrink wrapped, I'll be willing to let go. (150-135-140)