Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If only they made entry level sedans in manual.... I can't recommend shit to anyone

What did you do to your car today?

Anyone have any beta on the Sentra?

I've had 4 Corollas, never did shit to them and they all went 400k+ km. Gas, oil, tires, mufflers, brakes and one thermostat. Wife has an 09 Vibe now, basically a Corolla with a different body and a Pontiac sticker, no problems yet.

Switched to fancy LED headlights a couple years ago. One shit the bed last night.

Gave the entire fistmas treatment putting in a high intense sylvania as a replacement in the parking lot so I don't get pulled over.

Now, seeing many colors of not so cool fun.

I've got a 2 year warranty on the LED that blew (it will go for 1 million hours, or some such bs). We'll see how that works.

Played around with a multimeter, fuses, my amp and radio connectors trying to chase down why my radio won’t get power on the land cruiser. I think it’s something with the amp.

We’re about to buy an 06 matrix from a friend, which is basically a Corolla. Not too bad. Awd and kinda gutless. Hopefully won’t be too bad for the now 13 yo to drive when he’s of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    What the fuck is happening in here? We're helping iceman pick which entry level toyota sedan he wants to buy?
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

On a personal note, I did the decent thing this weekend and left every German, Japanese, or otherwise functioning piece of automotive equipment in the garage and took advantage of a free-to-me rented '18 Dodge Caravan.

And hooned the ever. loving. shit. out. of. it.

all the way to the white sandy beaches of the gulf coast.

With the kid in the backseat asking for more wheel-spin.

I caught a look at myself in the reflection of a passing chrome RaceTrac tanker and hated everything about what I saw.

Except the cargo capacity.

So the car paid for it.

And the kid loved it.
    I still call it The Jake.

This may seem gay, but my dream car is an awd minivan. Like the astro, but more room.

Drove Opa home after a month recovery from an aortic valve replacement. His pup was so happy to see him. Drank whiskey with one of his old sea buddies who looked after his place; we hadn’t seen each other since he moved us up to the kootenays in the ‘80’s. 1500 chevy crewcab cruised the highway south without a jar to Opa’s old heart. Needs a wash after the dust of the last month’s drought though.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This may seem gay, but my dream car is an awd minivan. Like the astro, but more room.
    our sienna is awesome, alot more useable room than a typical suv

This is what I am considering for a 2nd vehicle. AWD Sienna with about 180K on the dials. Put a couple Thousand $$ in to get it to reliable as road tripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    This is what I am considering for a 2nd vehicle. AWD Sienna with about 180K on the dials. Put a couple Thousand $$ in to get it to reliable as road tripper.
    Not sure if it applies to all years, however, there's the issue of spare tires as they went to run-flats instead of the spare, probably to make room for the transfer case. I think snow tires are impossible to find or super spendy? Buy five steel rims for the snows. Keep the spare in a roof rack 4x4 style if you don't like it taking up trunk space. I am on my 2nd 2WD Sienna and I love the utility of it.

Oddly enough I just found one on CL with a blown transmission for $ 300.00. FWD which is not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Oddly enough I just found one on CL with a blown transmission for $ 300.00. FWD which is not a deal breaker.
    Need to do some Googles to see if it is a thing, however, the transmission in my 2011 is the component I am the most concerned about. Price transmissions and see if the total works for you given anything else wrong with it. I like the utility. I can haul a lot of shit. Mine has the stowable jump seat for the middle row which technically makes it an 8 passenger. I like that in a pinch I can put the rear seats down, haul a bunch of crap and still haul 5 people if I need to. Removing the middle seats is also cool because you still have seatbelts for five (for folks in a state with total seatbelt laws) and can stow the rear seats. It's flexible. If I lived in the western mountains I would probably put studded snows on it. And find the easiest to use most bomber chains and practice with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Attempted burnouts and tried to find the car's limits on every turn. Well, it's not MY car. It's a rental.

...Don't buy a used rental.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    On a personal note, I did the decent thing this weekend and left every German, Japanese, or otherwise functioning piece of automotive equipment in the garage and took advantage of a free-to-me rented '18 Dodge Caravan.

all the way to the white sandy beaches of the gulf coast.

With the kid in the backseat asking for more wheel-spin.
    So the car paid for it.

And the kid loved it.
    Not to quote myself, but I rest my case. Lol. Rental cars are fun! I've even had a blast with the most base model econo cars when they're not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I've had 4 Corollas, never did shit to them and they all went 400k+ km. Gas, oil, tires, mufflers, brakes and one thermostat. Wife has an 09 Vibe now, basically a Corolla with a different body and a Pontiac sticker, no problems yet.
    They've been historically bullet-proof, but avoid the '19 like the plague if it's a CVT. Rented one last month (hatchback version) and the transmission blew on me within a few miles of me leaving the rental lot. Was a brand new one too. Probably not even a 1000 miles on it. Learned that Toyota just recently issued a recall or TSB on that specific trans. Haha. That's what I thought. What a POS. I've heard good things about the manual, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Anyone have any beta on the Sentra?
    Depending upon trim level, you may have varying amenities like carpeted floors, rear defrost, or even presets for both am and fm. I recall a great deal of fanfare at the Geneva Motor Show and respectable Nurburgring times, some even flirting sub 7 (hr).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We have a fwd sienna with “awd.” It’s been great. 08 model now with 120k. It’s had some known issues related to door check and broken auto doors. Maintenance-wise, they wear out/warp brake rotors quickly. Steering racks are know to slowly go out over time. Timing belt/water pump maintenance costs a bit (or takes a bit of time). They hold a lot of shit! Suggest getting a full size spare. The earliest models carried a full size spare.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We have a fwd sienna with “awd.” It’s been great. 08 model now with 120k. It’s had some known issues related to door check and broken auto doors. Maintenance-wise, they wear out/warp brake rotors quickly. Steering racks are know to slowly go out over time. Timing belt/water pump maintenance costs a bit (or takes a bit of time). They hold a lot of shit! Suggest getting a full size spare. The earliest models carried a full size spare.
    Had an '07. Heard a rumour that the engine and or transmission blew up on the people who bought it from dealer we traded to. Have an '11 now. I agree with all of those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    (I mention this every chance I get..) we have a Yaris at work with 935,000 km's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    If only they made entry level sedans in manual.... I can't recommend shit to anyone
    I just bought a 2018 Chevy Cruze with a 6-speed manual.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I've put a hurt on a few rental cars over the years. Enjoyed each and every one of 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Depending upon trim level, you may have varying amenities like carpeted floors, rear defrost, or even presets for both am and fm. I recall a great deal of fanfare at the Geneva Motor Show and respectable Nurburgring times, some even flirting sub 7 (hr).

Any factory tint and spoiler options? Or do I need to go aftermarket?

What did you do to your car today?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Any factory tint and spoiler options? Or do I need to go aftermarket?
    I recommend the Sentra SV Nismo package. It includes stick on side air vents and askew rear window decal.