Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    MK... not that you're going to need it but, good luck tomorrow /:~R
    Thanks man. Survived the knife. Let the recovery begin.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    When I asked my back surgeon about artificial disc replacements, he said he was uncomfortable with their use because it is a serious, life threatening surgery to remove it if need be. If I remember correctly, he said taking them back out involved a risk of bleeding to death on the operating table. As such, he said it wasn't a good option for younger, active patients.
    appreciate the input. Artificial discs are in. Fingers crossed they do not have to come back out.

Bionic moose!

How do you feel?

Artificial Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (ACDA)

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bionic moose!

How do you feel?
    Like yeti/IAS & SVS, tall. I magically grew 6mm taller this morning and with that comes “growing pains.” The disc at 6/7 was totally collapsed and in far worse condition then they had suspected especially on the left side(where the pain originated 10+ years ago). On the road to recovery now. Eating, drinking and roaming the halls with my assless gown. The discomfort of said growing pains is the greatest ailment currently. Anesthesia has worn off and erl has kicked in.

Well it's good to hear that you got the fix... what a fresh breeze in your sails! Erl in the sails, maybe

I bet you'll be happy as a clam in a few days.

mooseknuckles is gonna show all us young pups up on the ski slope this winter with his bionic spine.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Like yeti/IAS & SVS, tall. I magically grew 6mm taller this morning and with that comes “growing pains.” The disc at 6/7 was totally collapsed and in far worse condition then they had suspected especially on the left side(where the pain originated 10+ years ago). On the road to recovery now. Eating, drinking and roaming the halls with my assless gown. The discomfort of said growing pains is the greatest ailment currently. Anesthesia has worn off and erl has kicked in.
    +++vibes+++

erl???? End range loading?

Artificial Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (ACDA)

Update for all you kick ass fuckers who were kind enough to keep me in your thoughts and send along all the positive vibes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7324.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	278915
    tagged & ready to roll

I was the first case of the day this morning. Show time 5:15am. I was checked in and swept right to the bullpen. More wash, IV in, more prep then hurry up and wait for the anesthesia team. Anesthesia team in place, doc visits goes over it all and asks any questions. Anesthesia unleashed the versed later chased with propofol. OR start time 7:35am. Family consult 8:30am. Two level ACDA open to close under an hour. I came to in the PACU and then rolled to my room for recovery.

Name:	IMG_7055.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	278917
    Lunch: Korean steak and shrimp stir fry

Name:	IMG_7052.JPG 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	278918
    And THaiChicken soup

As I mentioned earlier the only pain is a sore neck and back. At this point the throbbing, peeling and stabbing pains are gone. The only pain I feel is when grabbing for items on the tops of my forearms. Numbness & tingling remain in the fingers but only near the tips. No longer radiating up the hand to the elbow like last night and the past 2 weeks.

Stood up to take a piss around noon. No assistance required while the 2 MA’s and the RN stood by awaiting my fall even though I insisted I was fine. 4pm rolled around and it was time for an X-ray. The dynamic duo MA team showed up with a wheel chair. I told them I wasn’t getting in. They said it had to go with us so I told one of them to push it empty. Long walk completed. Doc shows up at 4:30 and offers me the option to go home vs staying the night.

Name:	IMG_7060.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	278920
    Dinner showed up

Name:	IMG_7062.JPG 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	278922
    Mediocre filet and huckleberry ice cream

Easy choice. Home now. Robaxin for the back spasms after being stretched out to fit the artificial discs. Tylenol and herbal elixirs for the pain. No opioids.

Name:	IMG_7066.JPG 
Size:	734.2 KB 
ID:	278923

Tomorrow is a new day!

Fuck yeah, J. Look forward to rippin around with you again soon. Do your PT

Wow man, intense. Hope recovery/rehab goes well. Take it easy, don't rush it. Time heals. Good luck.

We've never met, but you are one tough motherfucker.

Best of luck with the recovery and a much improved quality of life.

Is that what hospital food looks like these days? Damn, I worked at a hospital in high school. Food was disgusting. Best of luck in your recovery.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yeah man...

You got a timekill plan for recovery-vegging?

Holy crap! First class service! You seem to handle the anesthesia better than most if your eating big heavy meals and standing/walking so soon - bodes well for the recovery. Still, no rush, sit back and enjoy the new life as it unfolds.

Glad to see a smile on your face, Mooseknuckles. You now become bionic!

​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Fuck yeah, J. Look forward to rippin around with you again soon. Do your PT
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Wow man, intense. Hope recovery/rehab goes well. Take it easy, don't rush it. Time heals. Good luck.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    We've never met, but you are one tough motherfucker.

Best of luck with the recovery and a much improved quality of life.
    Much Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Is that what hospital food looks like these days? Damn, I worked at a hospital in high school. Food was disgusting. Best of luck in your recovery.
    The most expensive filet I have ever crushed.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah man...

You got a timekill plan for recovery-vegging?
    timekilling....that is the hardest part. I do not do well with sitting still...must stay calm to heal!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Holy crap! First class service! You seem to handle the anesthesia better than most if your eating big heavy meals and standing/walking so soon - bodes well for the recovery. Still, no rush, sit back and enjoy the new life as it unfolds.
    The steaks were manageable via small bites. Taking it easy and enjoying the ride is on the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Glad to see a smile on your face, Mooseknuckles. You now become bionic!
    Thanks P. Plenty to smile about for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Basically!

Day 1 - at home was tough on the body. After being sliced in the neck and having everything ripped out of the way to get to the back of my spine my body felt like a wet noodle. I was truly expecting an increase in pain however it did not occur. The soreness/tenderness/discomfort is far less then the pain I was in prior to surgery. Maintained the methocarbamol and tylenol regiment.

Day 2 - Finally able to stabilize/activate my core I was able to manage the days movements much better. I am horrible at sitting still so I find myself walking often. I need to be extremely conscious as to no overdue things when reaching/lifting. 5lb lifting restriction is the real deal. Dropped the methocarbomal and tylenol after the early am doses.

Day 3 - Staying safe

Numbness/tingling remain in right hand fingers. Forearm/wrist/bicep/shoulder weakness is prevalent. No longer painful to hold phone/remote/grip anything. Bicep/Tricep/Pec and elbow pain is gone. Sleeping 6+ hours at a stretch. General discomfort due to overall soreness. Pain managed via thc/cbd regimen. No opioids.

The most expensive filet I have ever crushed.
    Was wondering who the caterer was

timekilling....that is the hardest part. I do not do well with sitting still...must stay calm to heal!
    mainline sativa only?

Pain managed via thc/cbd regimen. No opioids.
    Try and keep some of the pain in play. It will make you more cognisant of limiting range of motion

stating the obvious:

water water water

lots of nerve feed back - old and new - and will last a while. Things are adapting to their new home

go gadget go - err maybe down the line a little

"professional patient"
    ​I am not in your hurry

The hospital is known for their culinary skills. They actually have an incredible $5 lunch that is open to anyone in the community to come and eat. The filet is not on the lunch menu.

Mainlining sativa is not on the plan in an attempt to avoid Sativa headaches. 24/7 full send is not an option...reality pain checks are regular.

Plenty of water cycling the system. You are correct about the nerves. Total mind games.

My last serious C/T spinal episode I lost most of my right tricep function. It eventually all came back but it took over 10 months to get to 90%, so be patient/prepared.

Slow to check in here.
    Happy that you're on the mend
    That surgery looks interesting.
    The numbness/tingling and weakness is likely the result of swelling. Can't remember how long it took before I quit dropping stuff but it was a few weeks anyway.

I do remember about five days after surgery taking a drink of juice straight out of the container. Tipped my head back and it felt like someone hit me across the shoulders with a baseball bat. Daughter (a nurse) said it was probably due to swelling - I thought it was my mom hollering at me from her grave "goddammit Bobby, you know better than to drink from the container. Get a glass!"

Update for all you kick ass fuckers who were kind enough to keep me in your thoughts and send along all the positive vibes.

Name:	IMG_7324.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	278915
    tagged & ready to roll

I was the first case of the day this morning. Show time 5:15am. I was checked in and swept right to the bullpen. More wash, IV in, more prep then hurry up and wait for the anesthesia team. Anesthesia team in place, doc visits goes over it all and asks any questions. Anesthesia unleashed the versed later chased with propofol. OR start time 7:35am. Family consult 8:30am. Two level ACDA open to close under an hour. I came to in the PACU and then rolled to my room for recovery.

Name:	IMG_7055.JPG 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	278917
    Lunch: Korean steak and shrimp stir fry

Name:	IMG_7052.JPG 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	278918
    And THaiChicken soup

As I mentioned earlier the only pain is a sore neck and back. At this point the throbbing, peeling and stabbing pains are gone. The only pain I feel is when grabbing for items on the tops of my forearms. Numbness & tingling remain in the fingers but only near the tips. No longer radiating up the hand to the elbow like last night and the past 2 weeks.

Stood up to take a piss around noon. No assistance required while the 2 MA’s and the RN stood by awaiting my fall even though I insisted I was fine. 4pm rolled around and it was time for an X-ray. The dynamic duo MA team showed up with a wheel chair. I told them I wasn’t getting in. They said it had to go with us so I told one of them to push it empty. Long walk completed. Doc shows up at 4:30 and offers me the option to go home vs staying the night.

Name:	IMG_7060.JPG 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	278920
    Dinner showed up

Name:	IMG_7062.JPG 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	278922
    Mediocre filet and huckleberry ice cream

Easy choice. Home now. Robaxin for the back spasms after being stretched out to fit the artificial discs. Tylenol and herbal elixirs for the pain. No opioids.

Name:	IMG_7066.JPG 
Size:	734.2 KB 
ID:	278923

Tomorrow is a new day!
    mooseknuckles … ! !!

I am going to ^bump^ this post for a few pages --
    amazing stuff (!)

. . . I know you have got to give the residual effects Time to go away ( : you 've got some neurologic effects that are Just going to take Time ) …

But dramatic decrease in Pain. . . ( brought tears to m' eyes )

PLEASE... give your bod.y Time to heal , and to stabilize those inserts ! !!!

I Am Happy for You ! and I am hopeful for You ! !!!

( Please ) heal well, mooseknuckles ! !!!

wishing you All The Best ! tj

Shit man. I’ve been nearly 2 weeks w right sided C7 radiculopathy, 8/10 pain at first, steroid taper down to 6/10. Disc at 6/7 bulging into foramen. Steroid injection tomorrow morning. All my ry arm and shoulder pain source is now clear. MRI shows severe stenosis at 4/5, 5/6 and 6/7.

Hoping to avoid the knife.

Name:	IMG_0983.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	279730

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear