Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I spent a lot of time/pain and money trying to avoid getting cut. Big mistake in retrospect. YMMV.

Everyone I know w spine issues says avoid the knife as long as possible.

It's a delicate balance: premature surgery can be non-productive or even make it worse; overdue surgery may not be in time to recover significant function/relieve debilitating pain. And even if you time it perfectly, it's spinal surgery so shit happens. You buy your ticket and you take your chance.

Artificial Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (ACDA)

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    My last serious C/T spinal episode I lost most of my right tricep function. It eventually all came back but it took over 10 months to get to 90%, so be patient/prepared.
    Ahhhhh yes, patience. Noted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Slow to check in here.
    Happy that you're on the mend
    That surgery looks interesting.
    The numbness/tingling and weakness is likely the result of swelling. Can't remember how long it took before I quit dropping stuff but it was a few weeks anyway.

I do remember about five days after surgery taking a drink of juice straight out of the container. Tipped my head back and it felt like someone hit me across the shoulders with a baseball bat. Daughter (a nurse) said it was probably due to swelling - I thought it was my mom hollering at me from her grave "goddammit Bobby, you know better than to drink from the container. Get a glass!"
    I tilted my head back on a really tall cup. I never understood why anyone needed straws. I now understand.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    ...wishing you All The Best ! tj
    Positive progress so far. Much healing remains. Thanks for the encouragement. Many thanks TJ!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    WOW right fucking on!! dood this is great news!!
    heard those images looked great, esp. the after
    stoked! Always appreciate the extra set of eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Shit man. I’ve been nearly 2 weeks w right sided C7 radiculopathy, 8/10 pain at first, steroid taper down to 6/10. Disc at 6/7 bulging into foramen. Steroid injection tomorrow morning. All my ry arm and shoulder pain source is now clear. MRI shows severe stenosis at 4/5, 5/6 and 6/7.

Hoping to avoid the knife.
    I feel for you man. Are they injecting at the same site already or up/down of first injection? Hope the injections handles it all and you are able to avoid the knife. If ya need the name of an excellent Interventional Pain Doc in SLC let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I spent a lot of time/pain and money trying to avoid getting cut. Big mistake in retrospect. YMMV.
    Amen. Explore all options and get multiple opinions but make sure you know when to say when.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Everyone I know w spine issues says avoid the knife as long as possible.
    I have heard my spine surgeon repeat these exact words many times.
    Last edited by mooseknuckles; 04-23-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Shit man. I’ve been nearly 2 weeks w right sided C7 radiculopathy, 8/10 pain at first, steroid taper down to 6/10. Disc at 6/7 bulging into foramen. Steroid injection tomorrow morning. All my ry arm and shoulder pain source is now clear. MRI shows severe stenosis at 4/5, 5/6 and 6/7.

Hoping to avoid the knife.

Attachment 279730

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yo, Dude. What the hell can you do for severe stenosis? And what's the plan?

I stand by my claim that St. John's wort oil brought my spine back from the edge.
    I applied it topically every day for a year. I would implore you to investigate it.
    This is no medical journal, as is obvious. Just a quick mention of spine use I found on google.
    https://www.stillpointaromatics.com/...rt-infused-oil

Hey Moose,

Sorry I missed your start. You were such a big help with encouragement for me. I have my two week follow up today and hope to get some ok for lite activity. For me the pain started a few days later but I’m glad yours is manageable. I just have a weak spot for Oxy too. Keep us informed.

Mooseknuckles, how you coming along?

All is well on my end, thanks P. 4matic. keep up with the rehab man. Stay moving! Healing is hard...on the mind. When the body feels so good and you are used to doing so much it is easy to ignore the minor pains/strains and aches. Bad idea. I know that I need to remain fairly safe and inactive, my body just wants to go! 5lb weight restrictions are brutal but in place for a reason I quickly found out and I am so often reminded by when not paying attention. Some pains linger and remain most notably in my left forearm/wrist as well the tingling and numbness in my right fingers.

FWIW I have been applying splats splooge 2x a day, once before bed and once when waking on my upper back, neck and shoulders. During days 3-7 post surgery, I would wake up early with sore muscles in my upper back and shortly after application, pain would be relieved. I was very skeptical as prior to surgery I had received no relief from the salve however I continued with my application to see if anything would change. Sure enough, positive results with muscular soreness relief. ProTip: if you have no feeling in your fingers do not try and hold glass jars. Removing tiny shards of glass from your back, shoulders and neck from the slave that you have scooped off the floor and placed in a plastic bin and you are now rubbing on your body is less then desirable.

Ha! The ol' numb fingers hilarity. My wife finally realized it was time for carpal tunnel surgery after closer her truck door and being unable to walk away because, unbeknownst to her, her fingers were caught in the door.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude - this too shall pass!

Hope you're coming along better, Mooseknuckles.

Zero complaints here P. Thanks for following up. The splooge shined post surgery and I continue to use it when I overdue shit.

One month out now and I have been promoted to lifting 10lbs max per arm and a max of 20lbs evenly distributed between both hands. No impact. As usual I am my worst enemy. As soon as I pick up something too heavy or do something "wrong" instant feedback. The one I hate the most is the driving pain and seizing muscles extending up the front of the neck and below the jaw. Nasty.

Still no feeling in the right hand fingers with the nagging forearm pain on that side when holding objects like a book, phone etc. The forearm pain on the left remains immense when holding objects especially heavier ones like cast iron pans, golf club, tennis racquet, fishing rod etc.

I am done shaking hands. Every one wants to prove their man hood and try and impress me with their grip. Game over for me as it causes pain everywhere I had pain prior to surgery.

Overall very pleased and wish I had done it sooner. We will see how the scar heals...apparently I have been too active.

The hardest thing rehabbing these kinds of major surgery is not overdoing it, and the consequences can be bad. I overdid it on my abdominal/intestinal resection and luckily only tore open the exterior incision. Probably be wearing a colostomy bag if I'd pushed it a little bit further.

So true PB. Close call and nearly a costly lesson to learn for sure. The nurses in the hospital all had stories to tell of patients that did not listen to the orders as I was walking out and not staying overnight...of course in my head "that will never be me."

Glad it all worked out for you and you are not lugging your shit around in a bag. I am going to ease back and play it safe for a bit.

C6/7 ACDF for me in early June. Out of any dynamic sports or carrying pack for 3 months. Sad

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Zero complaints here P. Thanks for following up. The splooge shined post surgery and I continue to use it when I overdue shit.

One month out now and I have been promoted to lifting 10lbs max per arm and a max of 20lbs evenly distributed between both hands. No impact. As usual I am my worst enemy. As soon as I pick up something too heavy or do something "wrong" instant feedback. The one I hate the most is the driving pain and seizing muscles extending up the front of the neck and below the jaw. Nasty.

Still no feeling in the right hand fingers with the nagging forearm pain on that side when holding objects like a book, phone etc. The forearm pain on the left remains immense when holding objects especially heavier ones like cast iron pans, golf club, tennis racquet, fishing rod etc.

I am done shaking hands. Every one wants to prove their man hood and try and impress me with their grip. Game over for me as it causes pain everywhere I had pain prior to surgery.

Overall very pleased and wish I had done it sooner. We will see how the scar heals...apparently I have been too active.
    hey, mooseknuckles --

happy for your progress ! patience is key --

keep on ! !! tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Chek down now and everything will workout faster.

The less you test and extend the boundaries (now) the fewer the long-term anomalies.

Indure with frequent breaks

It's a painful time of year, regardless

Keep on keepin on
    ​I am not in your hurry

C6/7 ACDF for me in early June. Out of any dynamic sports or carrying pack for 3 months. Sad
    Oh man I am sorry to hear this. Did you only see a neurosurgeon? Any chance you can get another opinion for an orthopedic spine surgeon? Here is the device that I have implanted and surgeons locator so you that you could look at the option of preserving range of motion and hopefully avoiding additional fusions down the road. https://www.cervicaldisc.com/surgeon-locator

Both neuro and ortho spine. Apparently I’m not a good candidate due to the loss of disc space, degeneration and osteophyte formation at that level already. Both do a lot of disc replacements as well.

Sucks

One day post op C6/7 discectomy and fusion. All pain and numbness gone in rt arm. Now just the recovery portion!

One day post op C6/7 discectomy and fusion. All pain and numbness gone in rt arm. Now just the recovery portion!
    Here's to your loss of pain and numbness
    Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Stoked for ya man! Take full advantage of all the help you can get. Too easy to pass it up and then be regretting that decision for the next few days. Keep that wound clean and recover slowly.

Post op day3, no narcs for 2 days. Feeling pretty damn good. Not sure how to keep it in the can for the next few months but I’ll need to.

Congrats on the early results mang. You should recover pretty quickly, just can’t do anything fun like ride a bike or ski or paddle a ‘yak for a couple of months.
    For me it was walking to keep some level of fitness. There is an esplanade in PDX good for brisk walking & people watching.

In a semi scientific test during those walks, I determined that 87% of the time two or more women are walking together, they talk about how to fix the man in their life.

I love me some Tom Mcall water front walks!

I’ve got nearly a 1000 acres of green space behind the house with nice roads and I can progress to trails.

The dog is psyched

Glad to hear that went well for you, Detrusor!