Reno this weekend?

We're spending Saturday night in Reno and traveling to AC's sister's house in Redwood City on Sunday. Anything we should ride while we're there? 4pm-ish arrival in Reno, late morning departure Sunday with no hard schedule, so a 1-2 hour ride Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning would be perfect. Weather forecast looks good, and the Keystone Canyon area looks promising on Trailforks.

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't lived in that area in a long time but I used to think the trails in Galena at the bottom of Mt Rose hwy were pretty fun. No clue if they will be dry or not though.

They will not be dry

Keystone canyon proper probably won't be either (I was just sled skiing over there like 3 weeks ago), BUT, the rest of the stuff on peavine could be okay. It's raining right now so even though the snow is melting, it's likely to be pretty muddy. That hill goes from desert hardpack to money to unrideable shit in a pretty narrow window of moisture. If you're thinking of riding Sunday, you'll probably be okay.

Call Bicycle Bannanas or Blackrock Bicycles.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Maybe a stop around Auburn would have more choices?

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't lived in that area in a long time but I used to think the trails in Galena at the bottom of Mt Rose hwy were pretty fun. No clue if they will be dry or not though.
    Mt. Rose stuff does look fun, but even if it were dry it's a little far out of the way for this time.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    They will not be dry

Keystone canyon proper probably won't be either (I was just sled skiing over there like 3 weeks ago), BUT, the rest of the stuff on peavine could be okay. It's raining right now so even though the snow is melting, it's likely to be pretty muddy. That hill goes from desert hardpack to money to unrideable shit in a pretty narrow window of moisture. If you're thinking of riding Sunday, you'll probably be okay.

Call Bicycle Bannanas or Blackrock Bicycles.
    Thanks. That whole zone north of 659 is labeled as "Keystone Canyon Non-Motorized Recreation Area" on the map so that's why I used that name. I have no idea what/where Keystone Canyon proper is or any of the other sub-zones in that area. Got a suggested ride? Up Evans Canyon/Upper Evans and down the "N" Trail or Reno Vista looks like it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Maybe a stop around Auburn would have more choices?
    Yeah, Auburn stuff looks fun. But, once we're out of Reno we're probably not stopping.

Fisticuff to N-trail.

Then pedal back up and ride the N trail again because you won't ride it fast enough the first time. (It's an old dh racecourse so it's chunky)

That's pretty much the only thing I ride down there because they're OLD (ie good) trails. There are miles and miles and miles of squigglefuck back and forth switchbacky bullshit all over that hillside now so pay attention to topo lines when looking at trails. Fisticuffs and the N-trail are for zooming.

I can draw out a route on a map if you want. Signage isn't really a big thing there.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Cool. So up P-Drop/Poedunk to get to Fisticuffs? Is there a more direct connection to N Trail from the bottom of Fisticuffs? On Trailforks it looks like you have to go all the way up Keystone to the Keystone-UNR connector, and the last report says there's major erosion on Keystone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Cool. So up P-Drop/Poedunk to get to Fisticuffs? Is there a more direct connection to N Trail from the bottom of Fisticuffs? On Trailforks it looks like you have to go all the way up Keystone to the Keystone-UNR connector, and the last report says there's major erosion on Keystone.
    Keystone probably did wash out. But that's even more reason to pedal up it. The destruction in that zone is pretty neat.

But yeah that's the general idea. You can pedal UP the canyon and get to the top of the N trail or, (my preferred route), coast down keystone canyon and do a shorty climb up a trail on the left (by the 23) to what's marked as N1 on this map.

https://www.reno.gov/home/showdocument?id=48300

That's the rowdy shit. It's pretty much all rock from there so moisture doesn't matter.

The weather where I was going to go skiing tomorrow is looking a little iffy, so I might just come down and show you. I haven't touched a bike in like 5 months so I should probably remember that I own one.

You should prolly just stay in your room...Reno sucks!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interb...-for-2019.html
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

The Galena (base of Mt Rose) area is definitely not clear yet, but you could start down lower on Lower Whites Creek and ride up as far as you can go and still have fun. The climbing will be kind of meh (but probably similar to Peavine) but that descent is pretty fun. Another favorite of mine on the Sierra front is Clear Creek trail in Carson City, which should starts a little lower and I'm guessing is good for the first half or so?

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Another favorite of mine on the Sierra front is Clear Creek trail in Carson City,

You're fired

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    You're fired
    Ha! I mean if you HAVE to ride down in the valley while everything fun is covered with 15' of snow...

Non-bike, Reno-related question: Would I be an idiot to leave anything locked in my truck overnight? Hotel is on Market St just off 580.

Reno is generally pretty safe, probably ok if stuff is out of sight, but all it takes is one tweaker, so I would bring stuff into the hotel room if possible. You can pretty much expect to have you're stuff jacked anywhere in the bay area, though.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Looks like tahoebc found a nice trail today. Chk his pic in Tahoe thread

I don't have anything to add to this, other than I went out to Reno last summer to ride with my brother who was working for Tesla at the time. I was totally surprised how awesome the trails were. Mt Rose highway was a blast, and Martis Peak is one of my all time favorites now.

I came home from that trip feeling like Salt Lake needed to up its game in trail building.
    Thanks Shane