Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Snow Ridge

Sent from my SM-N920V using TGR Forums mobile app
    +1. Skied it in the 90's. Loved the lake effect days and the family vibe.

Black Mountain of Maine. Live it. Learn it. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vets View Post
    Donner Ski Ranch
    Never met the guy and haven't ski'd there in 30 years, but I've heard from summit folks I trust that Marshall is a real asshole.

Just because a ski area is small doesn't mean the owner isn't a shithead. Ski anywhere long enough and you'll probably have a disagreement with how things are run. That doesn't mean the owner is a shithead but doesn't mean they're not either.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Panorama is owned by 30or so local individuals, many from Calgary, but I believe most if now all have second homes here. Purchased from Intrawest about 8 or 9 years ago.

These guys are passionate about skiing. Example:One owner liked a particular run that ran along a ridge, but it was exceedingly narrow. He paid a few hundred grand out of his own pocket to have it widened and now it is one of the best cruising runs on the hill.

One of the primary shareholders is an old coworker/friend and the plans are pretty good. Each year for the past 6 years, teams are sent up every summer to glade a new section of mountain. They put in a quad chair to a new ridge four or five years ago to all beginner terrain. On the busiest days of the year, it makes a significant difference in traffic on the main lifts. They enhanced it by having a Discovery Chair only ticket, $20 for an all day ticket for that chair only. Perfect for beginners and little kids before they are ready for anything bigger.

New management is pretty damn good, and the hill is one of the few that is cash flow positive and throws an operating profit. The owners committed to a period of time where they would take no cash out it of the mountain and most profit is reinvested back in the hill. Debt is being kept to an absolute minimum.

The hill has always had a rep for good grooming, so they have doubled down on that, a few years ago they installed ~140 winch cat anchors all over the hill and now they are grooming runs never before reachable. Some exceedingly steep ones. Snowmaking starts in November to get runs ready for a number of race teams that train here pre-WC season. That puts down a really strong early season base and they can make snow on most regions of the hill. It makes a huge difference, especially this time of year, where (I have been here last 4 days) those runs that had snowmaking are still in really good shape. Those runs without, getting really patchy and sketchy.

While it caters to the family, what makes it special to me is that there is enough terrain to keep any skier happy for any ability.

The other big plus from a revenue perspective is the resort is now truly summer and winter. World class golf (GreyWolf golf course, top 10 in Canada) and a dozen more top rated courses within an hour and change drive. Downhill Mountain Biking, hiking, this place is very active almost year round.

I can see where smaller operations serving a local market need to survive on winter only, but without cash flow, maintenance suffers, and ski resorts are capital intensive at the best of times. Which is why Mom and Pop operations are soo hard to maintain without significant local support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post

Just because a ski area is small doesn't mean the owner isn’t a shithead
    X10
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post

Just because a ski area is small doesn't mean the owner isn't a shithead. Ski anywhere long enough and you'll probably have a disagreement with how things are run. That doesn't mean the owner is a shithead but doesn't mean they're not either.

True. Hm. We're probably assuming that the small hills are owned by OK folks since they aren't making shithead moves that piss off long-time local skiers and families like the corpo-conglomerates. Except for Marquette... sorry yeti.

My revised list, then, only considering real operations familiarity:

Bridger Bowl. Community non-profit. Family has served on the board. Past GM went to my wedding. Place runs like a top, serves the interest of skiers only, and treats its employees well. Terrain speaks for itself.

Shames. Community non-profit. Gary here basically set the place up in current form. GM is a good dude. Wonderful family hill as well as serious sidecountry mecca.

Maverick. Went to HS and skied with wife of owner/GM. Bigtime passion there... dude wrenches on lifts, drives the cat, bumps chairs, etc. She teaches at the one-room school in Polaris and skis better than anyone here.

+1 for plattekill and +1 for Magic.
    Add Catamount and Mount Peter also

Did Whitewater get mentioned yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by ridge_skier View Post
    Jay Peak...although I guess they don't technically have an owner right now
    Well, since it’s the government, then I say asshole owners.

What about mad river Glenn ? Hippies are not usually assholes.
    But when 1,800 people own the mountain, there’s bound to be a few a-holes
    . . .

I can't say that I really know any ski area owners.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

i do...... so i got that goin for me, which is nice.

Maybe Ski Sunlight? Powderhorn? Cranor Hill? Howelson? Echo Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Panorama is owned by 30or so local individuals, many from Calgary, but I believe most if now all have second homes here. Purchased from Intrawest about 8 or 9 years ago.

These guys are passionate about skiing. Example:One owner liked a particular run that ran along a ridge, but it was exceedingly narrow. He paid a few hundred grand out of his own pocket to have it widened and now it is one of the best cruising runs on the hill.

One of the primary shareholders is an old coworker/friend and the plans are pretty good. Each year for the past 6 years, teams are sent up every summer to glade a new section of mountain. They put in a quad chair to a new ridge four or five years ago to all beginner terrain. On the busiest days of the year, it makes a significant difference in traffic on the main lifts. They enhanced it by having a Discovery Chair only ticket, $20 for an all day ticket for that chair only. Perfect for beginners and little kids before they are ready for anything bigger.

New management is pretty damn good, and the hill is one of the few that is cash flow positive and throws an operating profit. The owners committed to a period of time where they would take no cash out it of the mountain and most profit is reinvested back in the hill. Debt is being kept to an absolute minimum.

The hill has always had a rep for good grooming, so they have doubled down on that, a few years ago they installed ~140 winch cat anchors all over the hill and now they are grooming runs never before reachable. Some exceedingly steep ones. Snowmaking starts in November to get runs ready for a number of race teams that train here pre-WC season. That puts down a really strong early season base and they can make snow on most regions of the hill. It makes a huge difference, especially this time of year, where (I have been here last 4 days) those runs that had snowmaking are still in really good shape. Those runs without, getting really patchy and sketchy.

While it caters to the family, what makes it special to me is that there is enough terrain to keep any skier happy for any ability.

The other big plus from a revenue perspective is the resort is now truly summer and winter. World class golf (GreyWolf golf course, top 10 in Canada) and a dozen more top rated courses within an hour and change drive. Downhill Mountain Biking, hiking, this place is very active almost year round.

I can see where smaller operations serving a local market need to survive on winter only, but without cash flow, maintenance suffers, and ski resorts are capital intensive at the best of times. Which is why Mom and Pop operations are soo hard to maintain without significant local support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd add Red Mountain and Kimberly as well. Don't know much about the owners but both hills are well run and true gems in the central/eastern part of BC

Northeast Slopes and Tenney is open again.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I can't say that I really know any ski area owners.
    You've probably skied with Coleman and didn't know it. I've seen him up at AZSB a few times making laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I'd add Red Mountain and Kimberly as well. Don't know much about the owners but both hills are well run and true gems in the central/eastern part of BC
    Red had that whole stake holder thing.

Which seemed a bit shady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Mt Eyak and Wolf Creek
    off your knees Louie

Somehow Alyeska survives between shitty weather patterns and shithead ownership. Time will tell on latest ownership change !
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

As far as I know Anthony Lakes is still publicly owned by Baker County. So keep them on the list, I hope to ski there regularly someday.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    As far as I know Anthony Lakes is still publicly owned by Baker County. So keep them on the list, I hope to ski there regularly someday.
    Bring touring gear, the terrain outside the ski area is pretty cool
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    someone mentioned that to me and I can't help but feel that those mountains have now lost a little of their their independence.

and yes, whitewater and several other canadian resorts have been mentioned. would be cool to have a running compilation of all the sresorts mentioned on the first page.
    Last edited by powdork; 04-04-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Bring touring gear, the terrain outside the ski area is pretty cool
    and a sno park permit. required for parking
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Red had that whole stake holder thing.

Which seemed a bit shady.
    Very shady

Taos? Santa Fe? They were mentioned on pg. 2 but I didn't catch if they were proprietary of shitheads or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    +1 for plattekill and +1 for Magic.
    Add Catamount and Mount Peter also
    disagree on catamount. their militant anti-skinning policies left a bad taste in my mouth. now if the snow is south and east i would prefer mohawk (excellent skinning policy) or berkshire east.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi