Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Coincidentally I'm wearing my favorite hoody today, thing is starting to get gross

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190404_123704095.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	277229

Skiing there with Gary was pretty cool. Bobby, he set up the non-profit and still runs meetings, so basically is the mayor.

Place leaves quite the impression.

Name:	2019-04-04_12-42-56.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	277231

Al, did you ever hear whether Mike survived his terrible illness? I tried sending him a note several months ago but didn't get a reply. What a colorful character, hope he didn't fuckin die.

Smuggs

Bridger Bowl does not count.

It is community owned and everyone now knows that Bozeman has the highest per capita of Shitheads in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Bozeman has the highest per capita of Shitheads in Montana.

Potentially the entire intermountain west.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    It is community owned and everyone now knows that Bozeman has the highest per capita of Shitheads in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Potentially the entire intermountain west.
    doesn't intermountain west include Colorado?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't often ski there, but I've never heard anything really bad about Berkshire East's ownership group. It's a wealthy family, but they've been willing to really invest in the mountain and the one guy I know who is a regular likes them. I've been a couple times and it seems like a good place to ski with a family and it's not too far from Western MA, CT.

What I really like it for is the summer bike park (Thunder Mountain). They've done a nice job of building a good mix of flow and more natural/technical trails.

mt baker gets extra points
    Name:  56269969_10157672080998484_108392192728367104_n.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  94.5 KB
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    disagree on catamount. their militant anti-skinning policies left a bad taste in my mouth. now if the snow is south and east i would prefer mohawk (excellent skinning policy) or berkshire east.
    I included based on them having a good kids’ lesson program, friendly atmosphere and somewhat decent skiing for me while the boys were in lessons. Wasn’t aware of the skinning policy. Is it possible it may have changed? They were bought by the Berkshire East people last year.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    I've got to say that HOODOO in Oregon is a great small area. Over the years the now, not so new, owners have proved again and again that they are into improving the public ski experience. Hell they even rolled season passes forward to the next year when the snow pack didn't show. Millions into new lifts and lodges. The good sense to listen to what is working and not, before they start reinventing the wheel. Big plans and good sense are rare qualities in any buisness.

They have many return employees, which in my book adds up to being good employers. This translates into good employees which leads directly to better public experiences at the ski area. There is good terrain and week days there are still occasional real POWDER DAYS, that last more than 3 runs.

Over the years I have watched as they continually worked to make this little gem into a regional asset. We are lucky to have such a great ski area so close by.
    Had a place at Black Butte and season passes to Hoodoo growing up in the 80s. Loved that hill. Looking to get back one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    I'd add Red Mountain and Kimberly as well. Don't know much about the owners but both hills are well run and true gems in the central/eastern part of BC
    Red is owned by a guy in California, but they are investing, new lift going in this summer. And the local vibe is incredible.

Whitewater is, I believe, owned by some investors based in Calgary. One is a brother of some old friends. This was the case 10-15 years ago, I think it is still the case from what I heard when I was at Red earlier in Feb. The owners are passionate skiers, but I am not sure how deep the pockets are.

Kimberly is owned by Resorts of the Canadian Rockies. There is history there. Charlie Locke ran Lake Louise back in the day (1970’s-early 1990’s). He was a very good operator, but not a resort developer. He then entered into an agreement to operate Nakiska on behalf of the Alberta Government (the owner). Over several years, he debt financed purchasing Fernie, Kimberly, Mt St Anne and Stoneham in Quebec. He ran into leverage issues and made some huge mistakes with the potential gem, Fernie. As I said, he knew little to nothing about developing a resort, and Fernie came with a lot of developable land. He sold a bunch of lots, but nothing in a manner approaching a master plan. So, as comparison, if you go to Whitefish, homes are placed along roads adjacent to ski runs for true ski in ski out. Nothing like that at Fernie. As a result, while it sold, revenue was not maximized. When Locke went into receivership, Murray Edwards (CEO of Canadian Natural Resources and a few others) bought RCR. A couple years later, RCR sold Lake Louise back to Charlie Locke, who I believe operates it to this day. Fast forward to Kicking Horse running into financial troubles and the Dutch owners wanted out, Murray picked up Kicking Horse as part of RCR.

Murray won’t invest a dime unless he believes it will produce a positive return, so little has gone into many of the resorts without first selling a good amount of real estate. He also won’t overpay for anything. He is as hands on as any CEO, especially considering the size, scale and number of different businesses he runs. Down to the level of approving/signing payables cheques to suppliers. Tough to do when you are sitting on your yacht in the Med.

So the vibe at Fernie/KH/Kimberly is based on the locals and their participation in the mountains, totally unrelated to the ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Bumped chairs at Pano back in 1999/2000. What a fun few months that was.

Would love to go back, and this just makes me want to even more! How's that new "Monster" zone they opened up?
    Dude, I think it still had a t-Bar at the summit back then. Now a fixed grip quad. The Champagne chair may have been a double? Can’t remember......You may have been there when my brother was transferred to Pano from Whistler-Blackcomb by Intrawest.

Monster is great. And a huge opportunity for scoring lines those that rush up Monster miss entirely. It has been open for two years and I have yet to go up.

Holidays and weekends they run a cat from Never Never Land up to the summit of Monster. $10 pay as you go or several pass options. SO on powder days, many many folks line up for the cat at Never Never Land. They ignore White Tail, Ktunaxa, Jekyll and Hyde and several other runs, which leaves them frequently untouched for days after a storm. If the cat isn’t running, it is 30-40 minute hike from the summit lift station. The other issue with it is that a few times this year when we have had huge winds, it is slabbed, along with a few adjacent runs. Don’t get me wrong, when it is good, it is unreal. And it opens up a lot of opportunities elsewhere in the bowl.

Monster is great, but there is amazing terrain frontside as well, with the “Extreme Dream Zone” (I would classify the name as optimistic at best) basically gladed frontside steeps into some really nice rolling drainages and drops, there are now only a few spots off limits.

Using Tapatalk

Cochran’s. The owners are def not d-bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    and a sno park permit. required for parking
    Good reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Monarch ski area. Cool little local vibe, owned by an investor group of mostly locals. Maybe not the gnarliest ski area in CO but I've had some really fun days playing around there.

Mt Baker, don't know how the locals feel about the Howats but I feel like they were well liked when I was there a long time ago. Still one of my favorite ski areas that I've ever been to. The place is just on another level from the rest of NA resorts. Super low key(but I hear attendance has grown since I spent a few seasons there), no frills, crazy deep snow, amazing terrain. I could ski 100 days a season there for the rest of my life, rain days and all.

Grand Targhee, owned by Gillett family. Don't know how the locals feel about that, but the ski area seemed to be run pretty well, and we had a blast on our only day skiing there.
    My best day at Baker was a rain day. Second best was a corn day.

Name:	AED083AA-50CA-454C-8C6F-FD592E4D575F.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	277280Last time at Baker. Still a nice pit-zip zipper-pull. Place had been annihilated after a dump. Maybe 24 hours had elapsed. I swear there were moguls in the back country.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post

Name:	AED083AA-50CA-454C-8C6F-FD592E4D575F.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	277280Last time at Baker. Still a nice pit-zip zipper-pull. Place had been annihilated after a dump. Maybe 24 hours had elapsed. I swear there were moguls in the back country.
    Actually I think I’m conflating days up there. That day I think we took my nephew and Elisa was just pregnant. Just an average day up there.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    My best day at Baker was a rain day. Second best was a corn day.
    Some of the more memorable days there were rain days. There's so many pow days they just blend together, but the rain days, we made the best of it and they were definitely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Al, did you ever hear whether Mike survived his terrible illness? I tried sending him a note several months ago but didn't get a reply. What a colorful character, hope he didn't fuckin die.
    I think I read somewhere Mike had recovered

Ya, Mike was definatley a colorful guy, certainly spiced up the conversation eh

I read somewhere that back in the day buddy had done a big route on k2 or some fucking thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shames. Community non-profit. Gary here basically set the place up in current form. GM is a good dude. Wonderful family hill as well as serious sidecountry mecca.
    Well thanks, but not entirely true my friend. It was a group effort, with some of the largest contributions from folks behind the scenes working on governance documents and business plans. I was just one of the loudest mouthpieces buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Shames is ^^ the next level below low

for any locals who don't like the owner

just look in the mirror ... its you
    I thought of this as it relates to any coop hill when I saw the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I have never skied anywhere before where locals were actually arguing with each other about which one of them would get to show a visitor the goods.

The exact opposite of Baker IMHO.
    Yeah Brit, but you and Scotsman are very likable folks who appreciate stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Mount Cain I imagine is very similar. Both of these BC areas intrigue me. I just love simplicity matched with awesome lift accessed touring options.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    From what I hear.

Is it on this list yet?
    Cain is a non-profit, however I'm not sure it's a Coop, or at least not the same model as Shames.

Its a Coop eh, I skied Shames with Garyfromterrace, Norseman and Mike Dorse, Gary is like the Major of Shames so we had to stop and talk to some local every 5 minutes

a guy in the p-lot was giving out beers he had salvaged from a wrecked semi on the highway that was definatley day drinking
    That was an awesome little mini summit eh?

Coincidentally I'm wearing my favorite hoody today, thing is starting to get gross

Name:	IMG_20190404_123704095.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	277229

Skiing there with Gary was pretty cool. Bobby, he set up the non-profit and still runs meetings, so basically is the mayor.

Place leaves quite the impression.

Name:	2019-04-04_12-42-56.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	277231

I think I read somewhere Mike had recovered

Ya, Mike was definatley a colorful guy, certainly spiced up the conversation eh

I read somewhere that back in the day buddy had done a big route on k2 or some fucking thing
    Thanks again for the kudos Norse, however again it was (is) a huge group effort. For the record I resigned from the board a couple of years ago (it was a good long run), the new blood is extremely qualified, and is crucial for a non-profit coop like Shames. I'll probably get back involved when I get back to T town in Sept.

Mike has certainly had some BIG health issues and I'm happy to say that my favorite intense loveable adrenaline loon is on the mend after another recent large surgery go-round. Dude's heart is as big as his balls. Hopefully he can go on with his life now, he's had quite a ride.

Riding Castle this season has showed me that hill's management seems to be pretty decent. The ownership structure of the hill seems flawed (it's a weird contradictory structure that supposedly limits the number of shares one owner can have but doesn't enforce it) but it seems like they're trying to do the right thing for the skiing population. I'm not sure that property owners (lease holders) feel this way also but whatever.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Dude, I think it still had a t-Bar at the summit back then. Now a fixed grip quad. The Champagne chair may have been a double? Can’t remember......You may have been there when my brother was transferred to Pano from Whistler-Blackcomb by Intrawest.

Monster is great. And a huge opportunity for scoring lines those that rush up Monster miss entirely. It has been open for two years and I have yet to go up.

Holidays and weekends they run a cat from Never Never Land up to the summit of Monster. $10 pay as you go or several pass options. SO on powder days, many many folks line up for the cat at Never Never Land. They ignore White Tail, Ktunaxa, Jekyll and Hyde and several other runs, which leaves them frequently untouched for days after a storm. If the cat isn’t running, it is 30-40 minute hike from the summit lift station. The other issue with it is that a few times this year when we have had huge winds, it is slabbed, along with a few adjacent runs. Don’t get me wrong, when it is good, it is unreal. And it opens up a lot of opportunities elsewhere in the bowl.

Monster is great, but there is amazing terrain frontside as well, with the “Extreme Dream Zone” (I would classify the name as optimistic at best) basically gladed frontside steeps into some really nice rolling drainages and drops, there are now only a few spots off limits.

Yep Summit T-Bar, and that terrible Champagne double. Looooooongest double in the world and also the slowest in North America (from my assessments). Taynton bowl was OB that year, but the mountain had already begun glading and working on the run-out. We would go back there and have lots of fun sending jumps and stuff, it was great. Was the first season they had that village gondi to shuttle people up and down the green monster stairs. I remember working on that helping to put the haul rope on - everyone was waiting for "the splicer" who was some german guy who was like the world's rockstar of wire rope splicing or something. Dude finally shows up and everyone around town is all like "did you hear - The Splicer has arrived!"

That was probably the best winter of my life. Living off of Kraft dinner, chunky soup, beer, and george foreman grilled cheeses. What a time to be alive.

That's it - I'm going back!

Name:	7CC8C0B1-4F5D-425C-B5C1-3F37068EE31D.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	776.1 KB 
ID:	277363

McCauley Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Well thanks, but not entirely true my friend. .
    Guess it's time we catch up again... thanks for setting the record straight. Last time we spoke was shortly after the eclipse in Oregon.

Mt. Rose

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

Name:	7CC8C0B1-4F5D-425C-B5C1-3F37068EE31D.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	776.1 KB 
ID:	277363

McCauley Mountain
    nice.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yep Summit T-Bar, and that terrible Champagne double. Looooooongest double in the world and also the slowest in North America (from my assessments). Taynton bowl was OB that year, but the mountain had already begun glading and working on the run-out. We would go back there and have lots of fun sending jumps and stuff, it was great. Was the first season they had that village gondi to shuttle people up and down the green monster stairs. I remember working on that helping to put the haul rope on - everyone was waiting for "the splicer" who was some german guy who was like the world's rockstar of wire rope splicing or something. Dude finally shows up and everyone around town is all like "did you hear - The Splicer has arrived!"

That was probably the best winter of my life. Living off of Kraft dinner, chunky soup, beer, and george foreman grilled cheeses. What a time to be alive.

That's it - I'm going back!
    LOL, that’s awesome. Yes, my brother used to talk about the “Splicer”. I think every lift gets the treatment every four or five years. Your diet was pretty dairy and carb heavy, but clearly you survived! I do think it is a pretty special resort. Happy to show you the new goods if you get there next year. Tho Pano Dude might know way more than me!

Using Tapatalk