WTB - good kids bike 3-6yo i.e Islabikes, Priority Start 14" or 16"

Hey Mags, looking to pick up a used good quality bike for my daughter (and then my son when she grows out of it). Daughter is 4 and tall for age, crushes on the strider, and we want to go straight to pedals (no training wheels). My son is 2 and is starting to crush the strider too.

Looks like there are a lot better options than in the 80s/90s for small kids bikes. I was hoping a mag might have something like an Islabike CNOC 14" or 16", or Priority Start 16"

We are in N Idaho, so likely have to ship, but I'm OK with that if there is a good mag hook-up.

Thanks!

I had really good results with my 3 year old transitioning to pedals with the strider 14x, nice because easy to add/remove pedals. Or stride with pedals on. She wanted the pedals as soon as she got it for her birthday, but I had her stride for a month to get used to the new bike. Think it was ~$150.

I always check eBay first when looking for specific things in the used market. Found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Islabikes-C...frcectupt=true

Might work for you... not sure of your price range but could be a good investment for both kids.

IIRC, the US versions of the <20" Isla bikes shipped with a coaster rear hub. I'd avoid them for that reason. The bike you want is a Spawn Yoji 16. 14 lbs, spidered cranks, Shimano cassette hub, Spawn's Loam Star tires, nothing I know of comes close. Yeah, it's expensive, but not terribly so, you're spreading the cost across two kids, and when #2 grows out of it you'll still be able to sell it for at least 50% of what you paid.

Thanks Kungpow, I had checked ebay and that one was in my watch list already. Hoping the TGR collective might have something in the $150-200 range... but maybe there is just not that many of these nice small bikes around and a larger demand.

Heard about the Spawns but out of the budget right now.

Sounds good hope my comment didn't seem like I know everything haha. I just have this habit of checking eBay for obscure items.

Good luck on the search. We have a local bike co-op here that sell lots of decent kids bikes for cheap. I stop by every couple of week to see whats new, if anything catches my eye in your price range i'll drop you a line.

Dan is clearly the expert by my 5 yo LOVES his Cleary Hedgehog that I got from a mag. So look for those, too. I also took the pedals off for a week or so so he could get used to the bigger bike coming from the Strider.

The Hedgehog is a good bike, especially if you just want something for riding around the neighborhood. I used to own one, but I had to put a lot of money into it to make it trail-worthy. They're better now that they ship with the riser bars and flip-flip rear wheel ( both of which I had to buy separately). But, new they cost the same as the Yoji now and the Yoji is 2 lbs lighter (pretty big difference for kids this size), comes with way better tires, has better gearing (IMO), and most importantly the ability to easily change the gearing to suit your kid and where you ride.

As the OP noticed, demand for nice used kids bikes vastly exceeds supply. Nice kids bikes are more up front buying new, but hold their value so well they're basically money in the bank.

My daughter got on her friends Spawn Banshee and immediately pedaled away! She couldn't even get a few pedal strokes on the free Toys-R-Us bike she has. Def need to find her one soon, but used on Ebay or CL is dead right now.

My kiddo had a massive improvement when she went from her generic boat anchor Trek 16" to her Spawn Banshee. Immediate improvement. The money is worth it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+1 on the Cleary Hedgehog. My daughter loves hers. Transition from the strider bike took about 5 minutes.