Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I didn't leave it buckled. Rearward range of motion is marketing bullshit. It is made for flat traverses across frozen lakes (when do you do that, almost never in my experience). When you are going uphill (most of the time you're touring) you need forward range of motion, which this boot has absolutely none. Gripwalk soles are a garbage product compared to vibram. I also had to file down the gripwalk sole so it wouldn't interfere with a Dynafit toe piece. Not a very well thought out boot in my opinion. While we are at it I'll sell mine for $200 shipped

Blister reviews also reference a limited skinning ROM, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Uphill Performance
    The new R3 walks about the same as the old version, which is to say, fine, but not great. Without unbuckling it, you’re basically skinning in an alpine boot. If I loosen the buckles, I get enough ROM for most short tours, and the new version has just a touch more ROM thanks to the updated top buckle. But for anything where you’re planning on extended skinning, your life will be much better if you just pull out the tongue.
    The R3’s buckles latch securely over the liner when you pull out the tongue, and the middle buckle has done a great job of keeping the liner from moving around in the shell or creating blisters.

With the tongue in, the R3 walks noticeably worse than the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 and Scarpa Maestrale RS. With the tongue out, the R3 still doesn’t walk as well as those boots, but unless you’re doing super long, flat approaches, I doubt most people will take issue with the R3’s ROM without the tongue.
    Taking out the tongue obviously creates another step during transitions and means that you need to keep space in your pack for the tongues, but for me, the tradeoff in walking performance is worth it.

I'm hoping they fit and the weight looks good for a boot with a little more support.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Blister reviews also reference a limited skinning ROM, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Uphill Performance
    The new R3 walks about the same as the old version, which is to say, fine, but not great. Without unbuckling it, you’re basically skinning in an alpine boot. If I loosen the buckles, I get enough ROM for most short tours, and the new version has just a touch more ROM thanks to the updated top buckle. But for anything where you’re planning on extended skinning, your life will be much better if you just pull out the tongue.
    The R3’s buckles latch securely over the liner when you pull out the tongue, and the middle buckle has done a great job of keeping the liner from moving around in the shell or creating blisters.

With the tongue in, the R3 walks noticeably worse than the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 and Scarpa Maestrale RS. With the tongue out, the R3 still doesn’t walk as well as those boots, but unless you’re doing super long, flat approaches, I doubt most people will take issue with the R3’s ROM without the tongue.
    Taking out the tongue obviously creates another step during transitions and means that you need to keep space in your pack for the tongues, but for me, the tradeoff in walking performance is worth it.

I'm hoping they fit and the weight looks good for a boot with a little more support.
    Xd

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    I didn't leave it buckled. Rearward range of motion is marketing bullshit. It is made for flat traverses across frozen lakes (when do you do that, almost never in my experience). When you are going uphill (most of the time you're touring) you need forward range of motion, which this boot has absolutely none. Gripwalk soles are a garbage product compared to vibram. I also had to file down the gripwalk sole so it wouldn't interfere with a Dynafit toe piece. Not a very well thought out boot in my opinion. While we are at it I'll sell mine for $200 shipped
    I don't know of any alpine boots with full Vibram soles. WTR is dead, so that's out as an option for manufacturers as far as rubberized alpine soles go moving forward. Sounds like you're looking for more of a touring boot, not an alpine boot with touring capabilities.

Seems like sole type and ROM should've been pretty easy things to assess before buying them, assuming you tried them on.

I'm liking the R3 T-1 so far.

Prog flex does seem to have a firmer end, but it didn't really feel like a wall. I'm 6', 180 and generally am forward in the turns.

Excellent fit for my foot, narrow heel, wide across the toes, low vol, higher instep and arch. Wore it all day on a ripping pow day, lots of traversing, some firm bumps, lots of shin deep goodness, after 5 hours, still comfortable.

Yes, the rear mobility is limited and I sure would like to have the hard/soft switch be more dynamic and accessible; I think that would be a nice feature for the up.

But hey, all in all, this one's a winner for me in with the objective being a more lift served than skinning prog flex boot.

Will have to update the uphill worthiness as spring evolves.

"Changes: For 19/20, R3 130 gets a Dynamic Response Insert (marketing jargon for a Grilamid horseshoe we inserted into the rear of the throat of the lower that made this boot considerably stiffer and made its rebounding abilities second to none- IE- I used to ski it in "Hard", which basically locked/locks the flex out, but now I ski it in "Soft"), and a new top buckle that gives more relief/reduces fiddling for quicker ski/hike transitions."

CallMeAl- Do any other R3 models get the DRI piece?

One other suggestion: the cables on the inside of the ankle buckle are a little exposed to those of us that have a tendency to lift the inside ski on a turn and scrape the inside of the weighted boot with the inside ski edge. Recessing the cables just a bit into the shell mold would protect them more.

Can I get a couple of extra ankle 1cables?

Again, winning boot, one full charging day so far and happy.

Found some 2020s available now, smoking deal too! https://d-structure.com/products/boo...14452396523564

Anyone know where to find this boot in a Mondo 30.5?

Messaged you

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    "Changes: For 19/20, R3 130 gets a Dynamic Response Insert (marketing jargon for a Grilamid horseshoe we inserted into the rear of the throat of the lower that made this boot considerably stiffer and made its rebounding abilities second to none- IE- I used to ski it in "Hard", which basically locked/locks the flex out, but now I ski it in "Soft"), and a new top buckle that gives more relief/reduces fiddling for quicker ski/hike transitions."

CallMeAl- Do any other R3 models get the DRI piece?
    I checked a 19/20 R3 110 in a shop and it didn't have the Dynamic Response Insert.

Roxa R3S 130 versus Roxa R3 130 TI differences

What's the difference between the R3S 130 and the R3 130 Ti?